Over using RNS E Sat nav?

Ironborn

English...not so good
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
When I'm driving around, I also have the RNSE displaying the sat nav.The oem discs seem to only last about 6-12 months before RNSE starts to struggle to read the disc and starts throwing errors and then eventually failing all together. Done this with the 2009, 2011, 2012 DVD. Do you think maybe my laser is scratching the DVDs? I never take it out other than to give it a quick clean when the RNSE refuses to read, some times that fixs the problem temporarily, until I need to start the car up again. I have the MK1 unit.

Are they genuine discs?

Get a lens cleaner

If you are using copied disks then the RNSe is having to work harder.

Copied disks are burned to the DVD whereas genuine ones are done in a slightly different way which means the laser can read the data easier.

Would always suggest genuine where possible. The MK1s were always slightly more difficult to handle in this aspect...

Yeah the DVDs look genuine with cases, but I always buy them of ebay so you never know. Yeah I will be upgrading MK2 soon, hope that helps with things. Also struggling to fit my music on the two 4GB cards. Will it be plug and play? Do you guys drive with the sat nav running more than 90% off the time?

Yeah the DVDs look genuine with cases, but I always buy them of ebay so you never know. Yeah I will be upgrading MK2 soon, hope that helps with things. Also struggling to fit my music on the two 4GB cards. Will it be plug and play? Do you guys drive with the sat nav running more than 90% off the time?

You could have a copied disc with a label stuck on the face.

It will be plug and play but will probably need coded to the equipment fitted to your car.

I have the map running on my MK2 100% of the time I'm in the car using a genuine (bought from Audi) disc and have had no issues whatsoever.

I only use rns-e sat nav when I actually need it. i.e I don't use it for a journey I already know unless it's a long one and I want traffic updates.

My disc is always in the drive whether i use it or not. And regardless of whether ur using the nav on display or not it'll still be used to tell u the road name on the MFD. i always leave it in cos i never use cd's or anythin else in there, and every now and then ill flick to the nav map to check traffic or look for short cuts

My disc is always in the drive whether i use it or not. And regardless of whether ur using the nav on display or not it'll still be used to tell u the road name on the MFD. i always leave it in cos i never use cd's or anythin else in there, and every now and then ill flick to the nav map to check traffic or look for short cuts

Don't get me wrong, my disc is also always in the drive as my music is played from AMI.

Don't get me wrong, my disc is also always in the drive as my music is played from AMI.

As long as its in the drive its always being used, the sat nav constantly monitors where u are and what direction ur headed in whether ur using it or not. The MFD has a bearing indicator (which direction ur headed) and will tell u road names. So yeh, the GPS is always on, and for that to know where u are it needs to read the data from the disc. So unless the disc isn't in then its always in use which is what i was tryna say earlier.

Is there anyway of making the RNS-e run from an SD instead? I know two people, one with a new a4 the other with an A5 that have this

Not possible with the RNSE

The new SD based nav is only available in 2011+ models

A1/4/5/6/7/8 q3/5/7 etc and the new a3