Oem Xenon lights dim!

Jackhop22

Reaction score
Nottingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Hello!

since I have had my a4 cab (not long) the Xenons have been poor brightness to say the least! ... Think it must be the bulbs that are old/worn? I've never seen a problem like this before though, in my experience the ballast failing causes igniting faults and flickering, and bulbs go purple as they fail.
I need to sort it though, as my girlfriend has just bought a tt with xenons and make mine look like candle lights!! Not good!!

Up to this point I have refurbed the headlight lenses, and completely stripped the projector and reflector to clean all the insides, but no good! :(

id say bulbs

i have a new set of d1s 4300k bulbs with halfords super brilliance h7 mainbeam bulbs for sale , much brighter than the oem

The only way I eventually got any output was to put aluminium foil on the reflectors, but if yours aren't burned then it's probably something else. One thing I note is that you said you've cleaned the reflectors,I don't know whether it was due to mine being burnt but as soon as I touched the reflector surface the chrome came off leaving just the orange plastic.
Whilst trying to find a solution to my light problem I read loads of info from the net and the general concensus is that ballasts either work or do not, they will not cause dim lights with age and simply stop working.Which just leaves your lamps. Do you know how old the lamps are? If they are really blue they could be the originals and they do dim with age.

KevM3, the cabs are different to all the other A4s and use D2S lamps for dipped and H9s for the main.

yes i agree! .. before i stripped the lamp, i did read a few posts on the chrome coming off, so i was careful not to damage the surface, good idea with the foil! ... i work on cars with xenons everyday, but i have never seen a problem such as this, like you say they probably are the original bulbs (will make them 10 years!), but normally they go discoloured with age bluey or purpley, mine are the perfect colour and strike up fine everytime... unreal how rubbish they are on the road though!... im going to order these, and then see whats what! to be fair common sense says bulbs, and if at work i'd order bulbs straight away, but when its your own car with your own money its a bit different i guess :p

Genuine PHILIPS D2S 85122 35W 4300K Xenon HID Bulb Made in GERMANY | eBay