Obdeleven or carista?

Luke willgoss

Reaction score
Hi wondering if any can help I want to make a few changes to my a5, now I've come across obdeleven which has really good reviews and there is also carista. Can anyone recommend which one is better? And do they all have the same options?
Thank you

Where to begin? Okay, this isn’t an easy question to answer, and much depends on both what you want to do, and the coding skill level you bring to the table.
First things first. Carista is an iOS only app that allows you to switch a variety of options on or off, depending on what your car is fitted with in the way of option modules. The interface is deliberately simplistic, and does not permit manual coding. That said, it’s terrific at enabling a host of additional bells and whistles quickly and painlessly.
OBDEleven is a slightly different kettle of fish, and is a bit of a hybrid. Think of it as being a halfway house between Carista and the full-fat VCDS program. It’s an Android system, so you’ll need a suitable Android phone or tablet. You can use it to do most (if not all) of the “bells and whistles” stuff that Carista does, along with the bonus of manual coding. While it lacks the more intuitive and elegant interface of VCDS (NOT two words I would normally associate with VCDS!), it does permit a much deeper dive into the inner workings of the code that runs the car.
Each has a slightly different pricing model, which I haven’t kept up with, so check their respective sites for the latest on that.

Where to begin? Okay, this isn’t an easy question to answer, and much depends on both what you want to do, and the coding skill level you bring to the table.
First things first. Carista is an iOS only app that allows you to switch a variety of options on or off, depending on what your car is fitted with in the way of option modules. The interface is deliberately simplistic, and does not permit manual coding. That said, it’s terrific at enabling a host of additional bells and whistles quickly and painlessly.
OBDEleven is a slightly different kettle of fish, and is a bit of a hybrid. Think of it as being a halfway house between Carista and the full-fat VCDS program. It’s an Android system, so you’ll need a suitable Android phone or tablet. You can use it to do most (if not all) of the “bells and whistles” stuff that Carista does, along with the bonus of manual coding. While it lacks the more intuitive and elegant interface of VCDS (NOT two words I would normally associate with VCDS!), it does permit a much deeper dive into the inner workings of the code that runs the car.
Each has a slightly different pricing model, which I haven’t kept up with, so check their respective sites for the latest on that.

So there is a bit more to it then meets the eye to say the least, I basically just want all the bells and whistles activated basically like dip wing mirrors needle sweep etc, in your opinion what would you go for?

If you’ve already got an iOS device, and are happy to skip the sometimes very murky and arcane business of manual coding, it’s Carista all the way.

Right, OBDEleven for you, then. I’m personally not as keen on the interface, but I’m an iOS wonk, so you can take that as you will. I’d recommend subscribing to the OBDEleven forum, as there’s a lot of useful info there. One word of caution - the developers are German, and English is very much their second language, so some of the explanations are quite... dense.

Right, OBDEleven for you, then. I’m personally not as keen on the interface, but I’m an iOS wonk, so you can take that as you will. I’d recommend subscribing to the OBDEleven forum, as there’s a lot of useful info there. One word of caution - the developers are German, and English is very much their second language, so some of the explanations are quite... dense.

Obd 11 it is thanks for the advice much appreciated

Agree with everything Julian has said, I just thought I’d point out, although OBD11 is Android only, Carista is available for both iOS and Android.

I’m not wonderfully keen on Carista, it takes 5 minutes every time I plug in just to scan the settings, so although a quick toggle on/off for something like mirror dip is possible, it still takes for ever to read a lot of settings I don’t care about in the process.

The licensing is a pain as well, I wouldn’t use it frequently enough to warrant a yearly renewal, yet purchasing a week at a time just to flick an option or check an error code is very expensive. The dongle they supply is handy though as it will also work with other Android apps, e.g. VAG DPF.

OBD11 has its own dongle that works with nothing but OBD11. But diagnostics are free and the other options are charged on a credits system that you can either buy or watch adverts to get free. It has little apps built in to do things like mirror dip without having to delve into coding as far as I remember. Each use of an app costs some credits so best to stock up as soon as you get it.

Android for Carista, too, huh. Thanks for the pickup, Jemster. Guess I’ve really been out of the loop for a while. I got my Carista before the developers went down the weird pricing and subscription path, so mercifully missed all that. However, agree on the wait times. OBDEleven is much better in that regard.

Can Carista code exhaust flaps yet anyone? Read on afew different forums that long coding is coming to it?

I have a IOS phone but an Android Tablet, I ended up going with OBDeleven because I needed some extra stuff like Video In Motion and Dynamic Indicators (Pace Car) and Carista does not support anything that is classed as non standard.

I use iOS but went with OBDeleven despite it being android only.
Made the correct decision, OBDeleven is just as good as VCDS but a lot cheaper and works on multiple vehicles.