Number (license)plate light holder help please

den911

Reaction score
Hi i have the audi a3 cab 8p 2011 and i got the bulb out warning for the real left , having had to take the number plate and surround off just to getto the screw it turns out the screw was stripped and no matter what i tried it wouldnt budge so i ended up drilling the head off that helped but the thread was siezed on so i had to damage the whole unit ...Now i have two choiced romove the other and fit LED or find a OEM holder ...Can anyone help if its worth replacing both with LED ( i dont like the realy bright ones ) if anyone as them fitted or point me as to were i may get a OEM one .Thanks

Sounds like a similar problem I had when replacing one of the number plate bulbs. I also had to remove the licence plate to get access to the screw holding the lens cover. The screws are such soft alloy they strip very easily. I couldn’t use the old screws by the time I managed to get them out.

I was lucky to find a couple of almost identical screws which were slightly longer and I replaced both on each of the two lens covers. The longer length meant the lens covers pulled in nicely for a better fit.

Personally, I always prefer to go for identical OEM parts if I need to replace something. Autodoc seem ok.

Hi, i put a new oem unit on ,£14 without a bulb..Took a while to get it in a position were the spring connectors made a connection but eventualy it was sorted..

Hi, i put a new oem unit on ,£14 without a bulb..Took a while to get it in a position were the spring connectors made a connection but eventualy it was sorted..

I find the simple jobs can sometimes end up being very frustrating and time consuming.