Noise on tickover when cold

rodenal

Since about last week, when i start the car from cold on tickover its making a weird sort of, well ticking. It's fairly loud makes it sound diesel-ish

The noise changes speed with the revs and has definately only just started occuring.

Only happens when cold, clears up within 5-10 mins.

Doesnt seem to affect the driving of the car in any way either.

I havent had time to get underneath the car to try and check exactly where it's coming from, but i dont like the sound of it.

Any suggestions as to what it might be are welcome

rodenal

Oh yeah, '97 1.6

Ian W

Probaly just hydraulic tappets, try an oil change, normally sorts them out

*experience on other cars, not audi's :)*

rodenal

It's not really rattling, more of a tick just louder than usual - plus if it was the flywheel wouldnt it occur all the time not just when the car's cold?

Aky

Aky
mine only started rattling when I first started it up then got worse. If you dip the clutch does the noise disappear? if not then its not clutch/flywheel related.

rodenal

Nah it stays even with the clutch dipped, im about to service the car this month anyway so ill see how it reacts to that.

Just a pain in the *** this starting now as im gonna sell it soon!

satanmademedoit

I'm with the tappet suggestion, and a motor will never refuse a good oil change even if it doesn't sort your problem,... always money well spent!

(I also have not much Audi experience so be gentle....):)

VAGMAN1

definitely the hydraulic tappets - you could try using an engine flush such as that by Forte - the problem happends as the lifters get caked in oilly crud over time, thus stopping oil getting in to them as soon as would normally be the case - hence the ticking noise which is un-lubed metal-on-metal