New windscreen question

scoss

Reaction score
hi I have the reduced noise windscreen. It's slightly tinted at the top. Has this got a different code to a standard one?

Just before I get a new via my insurance, I want to know what I need to specify from auto glass.

Thanks

Do you think this is a repair job?

Attachments

• IMG_0865.JPG
    IMG_0865.JPG
    950.1 KB · Views: 278
Sounds like you have the acoustic windscreen? If so then it is different and you'll need to push to get this fitted as they will try and give you the standard screen.

I'd say that was repairable btw.

I am not an expert, but that crack too close to the edge for my taste. Try to get a new one as the closer the crack is to the edge, the less structural rigidity the glass will have after repairing it.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and daytonamart
Identical to my screen stamp. I've gone via Autoglass and after I gave them my registration the guy on the phone read out the OEM specification of the screen (rain sensors, green tint, sun band etc...).

They're in the process of sourcing some 'OEM' glass.

In my view that's a replacement due to how far it appears to radiate and the proximity to the edge but maybe Autoglass would confirm if you sent them the pic

Identical to my screen stamp. I've gone via Autoglass and after I gave them my registration the guy on the phone read out the OEM specification of the screen (rain sensors, green tint, sun band etc...).

I gave my reg to auto glass and asked if my replacement would be acoustic and have sun band etc. They said it will be a direct replacement as they retrieve the exact spec of the car. I'll be quizzing them on Friday. There seems to be some confusion (On other threads) as to checking if the glass is in fact acoustic. Also, regarding the rain and light sensor, is this easy to reattach to the screen?

I've got wait until Friday. On the their site I typed in my reg and then said they had one available. Do you have acoustic on yours? How can you tell?

No idea how to tell whether it's acoustic or not. I remember one of the wise, seasoned veterans on here saying that windscreens aren't acoustic, it's the side windows that are.
However, I don't know if that's true or not.

Autoglass are still trying to source mine. Somewhat perplexed based on you saying they have stock.

One thing I would urge you to say to them on the phone. They will read a disclaimer to you about the glass replacement then ask if you accept these t&c's.
It was at this point I said 'is this OEM glass?' Which the advisor said no it's equivalent, I then said I wanted OEM then he had to clear it with Admiral.

Just be careful because they try to give you 'equivalent spec glass'.
(On the assumption you want like for like)

No idea how to tell whether it's acoustic or not. I remember one of the wise, seasoned veterans on here saying that windscreens aren't acoustic, it's the side windows that are.
However, I don't know if that's true or not.

Autoglass are still trying to source mine. Somewhat perplexed based on you saying they have stock.

One thing I would urge you to say to them on the phone. They will read a disclaimer to you about the glass replacement then ask if you accept these t&c's.
It was at this point I said 'is this OEM glass?' Which the advisor said no it's equivalent, I then said I wanted OEM then he had to clear it with Admiral.

Just be careful because they try to give you 'equivalent spec glass'.
(On the assumption you want like for like)

Thanks I'll check this today.

Mine is still meant to be fitted today but I highly doubt they will turn up with dealer glass as they called it

Yep. Pain in the ****. Admiral said that because my car is over 3 years old they will not provide OEM glass.
However, I argued this, as it didn't mention it anywhere in my policy documents (it is however listed in the small print in the T&C's on their website) but nothing they sent me stated this.

Essentially I argued that had I known that they had a three year cutoff for OEM replacements, I would've never taken out the policy. It wasn't stated in my policy documents either. It just said '£75 excess for windscreen replacement'. Which could be considered a breach in ICOBS.
I also argued that I'm still have extended warranty and non OEM parts would void this warranty (look how strict Audi are with servicing for example...everything has to be approved, otherwise it can void warranty).

@Glassman was a fantastic help. Here's some advice he gave below:
ICOBS 6.1.5 is a requirement.

"A firm must take reasonable steps to ensure a customer is given appropriate information about a policy in good time and in a comprehensible form so that the customer can make an informed decision about the arrangements proposed".

6.1.7(2) is guidance (but usually followed) and "policy terms, including its main benefits, exclusions, limitations, conditions and its duration" should be shown.

Annex 2 suggests a Policy Summary to be included (it must for a life policy), and to show :-

Significant features and benefits.
Significant or unusual exclusions or limitations, and cross-references to the relevant policy document provisions.

They don't require the summary (i.e. not the small print) to show everything, just things that may not normally be found in comparable contracts.
i.e. enough information to allow them to make a informed decision.
_

I'd argue that in this case, the points are about as salient as they can be? Also, to point at a website is a bit beside the point. It is not part of the proposal; or did they actually say you should read the bumph on the website before heading to the checkout? I doubt it...

Anyway, moral of the story is...don't let them fob you off. Usually if you kick up enough stink they will submit

Reactions: OliS3
Yep. Pain in the ****. Admiral said that because my car is over 3 years old they will not provide OEM glass.
However, I argued this, as it didn't mention it anywhere in my policy documents (it is however listed in the small print in the T&C's on their website) but nothing they sent me stated this.

Essentially I argued that had I known that they had a three year cutoff for OEM replacements, I would've never taken out the policy. It wasn't stated in my policy documents either. It just said '£75 excess for windscreen replacement'. Which could be considered a breach in ICOBS.
I also argued that I'm still have extended warranty and non OEM parts would void this warranty (look how strict Audi are with servicing for example...everything has to be approved, otherwise it can void warranty).

"A firm must take reasonable steps to ensure a customer is given appropriate information about a policy in good time and in a comprehensible form so that the customer can make an informed decision about the arrangements proposed".

6.1.7(2) is guidance (but usually followed) and "policy terms, including its main benefits, exclusions, limitations, conditions and its duration" should be shown.

Annex 2 suggests a Policy Summary to be included (it must for a life policy), and to show :-

Significant or unusual exclusions or limitations, and cross-references to the relevant policy document provisions.

They don't require the summary (i.e. not the small print) to show everything, just things that may not normally be found in comparable contracts.
_

I'd argue that in this case, the points are about as salient as they can be? Also, to point at a website is a bit beside the point. It is not part of the proposal; or did they actually say you should read the bumph on the website before heading to the checkout? I doubt it...

Anyway, moral of the story is...don't let them fob you off. Usually if you kick up enough stink they will submit

Thanks for the info, as they said yesterday they were providing OEM glass I'm fighting us that and a manager is reviewing the call. If not I'll fall back on your info and fight it that way.

I've never even claimed on my insurance in 20 years of being able to drive so the first time I do for a windscreen and I have to go through this

I've never claimed either so was suprised how much of a hassle it's been.

Saying that. Autoglass have been so slow and sloppy. Haven't even given me an ETA of my windscreen despite it being approved by Admiral 10 days ago.

Hopefully their abilty to fit glass is significantly better than their customer service.

I've never claimed either so was suprised how much of a hassle it's been.

Saying that. Autoglass have been so slow and sloppy. Haven't even given me an ETA of my windscreen despite it being approved by Admiral 10 days ago.

Hopefully their abilty to fit glass is significantly better than their customer service.

Good luck, sounds like we both need it

I gave my reg to auto glass and asked if my replacement would be acoustic and have sun band etc. They said it will be a direct replacement as they retrieve the exact spec of the car. I'll be quizzing them on Friday. There seems to be some confusion (On other threads) as to checking if the glass is in fact acoustic. Also, regarding the rain and light sensor, is this easy to reattach to the screen?

Don't assume. When I had my A5 coupe and was rammed by a taxi it went to the repair centre where, as well as the other £12k of damage, Autoglass replaced the windscreen and passenger door windows which were fine but they gave me it back with the rear passenger side window almost clear when the other side and rear were black privacy glass (as standard).
I then had to wait on them ordering a replacement specially from Audi in Germany.

I've managed to sort it but only after a manager heard that the lady had agreed to it yesterday on a phone recording. Not great service but I'm happy

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Autoglass fitted the new 'OEM' screen today. Top job from what I can tell.

Old Screen:

IMG 1976

New Screen:
IMG 2154

Reactions: Audi Bairn and OliS3
****** hell you got yours quick!! I had to wait 2.5 weeks from my initial phone call.

Yes mine has that too. Like a square area of dots around the rear view mirror. Quite handy as it'll conceal my dash cam from wannabe thieves a bit better than the old screen

Just put two coats of Angelwax H2GO on the screen. Cracking stuff!!!

****** hell you got yours quick!! I had to wait 2.5 weeks from my initial phone call.

Yes mine has that too. Like a square area of dots around the rear view mirror. Quite handy as it'll conceal my dash cam from wannabe thieves a bit better than the old screen
A very helpful lady at autoglass it seems. They managed to get it for the next day and fit it the day after.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

_

If you are in the London area I would strongly recommend @Glassman The work he did on my car was excellent. No connection other than a satisfied customer.