new tyres needed :(

kenny_boon

Reaction score
just discovered im needing 2 new tyres on the front.

im considering goodyear eagle F1's. these 18in alloys dont half need expensive tyres wrapped round them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

should i put the new ones on the back to tyres and move the paritially worn ones to the front? its a quattro version

Kenny. i have a set of Michi Pilot Sport 2s. up for sale at £259.95, cheaper than anywhere else. they any goog to you?

martin

thanks mate but sadly need 235/40R18. can get tgoodyear F1s for under £300 fitted

should i put the new ones on the front or back?

Hi,

Don't know how near you are to Hamilton but u could try R & J Strang Tyre Services Ltd, 01698 540295, they are mainly commercial but, got tyres last year best price by far.

You could give them a call to check.

Cheers : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I always thought you put the best on the front as this is where the sterring and most of the brakign come from.

However I read a year or so ago the the best should go on the back. I think the theory is if you start sliding, most people have more chance with understeer than oversteer.

yeah i think tests where done and emergency stops on corners would induce oversteer in wet weather even with ABS so new ones should be at the back, just wasnt sure if 4wd were different.

anyone got Goodyear F1s on there A4? i had them on my octy vRS and the seemed great

If you've got a quattro, you may have to replace all 4 tyres at the same time, because if not you may wreck the torsen diff, it is something to do with the different rolling radi of new tyres v worn tyres. Check with a dealer.
When I noticed my fronts were wearing sligtly faster than the fronts (about 1mm difference). I swapped the fronts and rears on my Quattro and they lasted 25k on Conti Sport Contacts 2, so went for the same again.

the rears still have plenty on them so i would have thought it would be ok. but like u said i better check

I thought that was a Haldex thing but you could be right. Defo worth checking.

I have F1's on my S4 (and on my TT before) and they're the best I've ever used.

I have F1s on my remapped FWD A4 tdi.. (largely on ScoTTy's advice!)

and yes, best Ive had (Conti's and Mich PS2's previously)

very pleased with them

Torsen diff is not very tolerant of different diameter tyres. It's a feature of Haldex that it can handle this much better. I think there's something in the manual about the tolerances for front/rear differences.

I believe that all Quattro Audi's from A4 up have Torsen diffs and only the TT and A3 have Haldex.

Had recent experience of the tyre replacement issue with quattro's and eventually got a reply from the Oracle known as Audi.......For Audi's with the Torsen diff ( A4 upwards ) you need only replace the two tyres on the same axle, providing the other two are not worn down to a few mm. The Torsen can cope with this with no problems.
Not sure if the same applies to the T's and A3's which have the Haldex system.
Apparently the cars you have to worry about are Volvo 4x4's where you do indeed have to replace all the tyres every time or else the transmission winds itself up and blows apart. Ouch !!