New S3 fuel?!

Richierich37

Reaction score
Had a search and didn't find my answer.......

With my new car coming this week does it make any real difference if I use supermarket unleaded or is premium unleaded a must?

I've not had a petrol daily for a long time and always just used supermarket diesel with zero problems!?

Supermarket unleaded has to be asking for trouble... supermarket fuel is my worst nightmare :sadlike:

Mine only runs on Super Unleaded. I've tried V Power, I were losing 30 miles a tank on that (270 mile tank :crying:) so I'm back on Esso Supreme now, slightly better MPG and I can rest assured it's Supreme.

Reactions: zippster and Richierich37
Tesco 99 is rated amongst the best by tuners. They usually run that to gain the best read outs.

I fill up with Shell V-power because I pass a cheap Shell garage and used their points card. I also don't have a Tesco garage nearby.

Wouldn't say it's a must, but for a few extra £ I don't see why you wouldn't....

Reactions: Tom.H, RS3 S., Bristle Hound and 9 others
Tesco 99 is rated amongst the best by tuners. They usually run that to gain the best read outs.

I fill up with Shell V-power because I pass a cheap Shell garage and used their points card. I also don't have a Tesco garage nearby.

Wouldn't say it's a must, but for a few extra £ I don't see why you wouldn't....

I use Momentum 99 for that reason :) - also helps I get a discount from work though :D

Reactions: Brasso, Daytonapig, Audi Bairn and 4 others

It's not the costs, I have a Morrisons at the end of my street, well kind of! I nip I there for bread, milk etc so always fill up!

There's a BP about 5 mins away and a Tesco about 20 mins away so maybe I'll just need to change my habits?! :)

Reactions: zippster, Daytonapig and Audi Bairn
Supermarket unleaded has to be asking for trouble... supermarket fuel is my worst nightmare :sadlike:

Why? Please share you experience and reasoning

Btw I have used Tesco Momentum for the last 18 months and had no problems as far as I am aware

Reactions: Brasso, Daytonapig, Audi Bairn and 2 others
Why? Please share you experience and reasoning

Btw I have used Tesco Momentum for the last 18 months and had no problems as far as I am aware

Too many bad reviews, 3.5 years of motoring and I only used it once.. I couldn't make it to Shell on my moped so I put 50p in at Morrisons :yes:

Tesco Momenum is all that my car has run on during the 24k that I've done in it - no issues at all but have to say that Tesco is the nearest to me and whatever I put in goes on the missus's points card. Sometimes think it would be interesting to put someone else's premium unleaded in just for comparison.

Reactions: Daveotto, Jassyo06, Daytonapig and 1 other person
Tesco Momenum is all that my car has run on during the 24k that I've done in it - no issues at all but have to say that Tesco is the nearest to me and whatever I put in goes on the missus's points card. Sometimes think it would be interesting to put someone else's premium unleaded in just for comparison.

I've heard lots of people using Tesco Momentum, I pass one on the way to and from work.. but it's that mentality of supermarket fuels and how could it be better than a branded station like Esso? :/
Should try and do some decent miles with both really.

Reactions: Rob2k68
but it's that mentality of supermarket fuels and how could it be better than a branded station like Esso? :/

If you don't mind me asking, what made you choose Esso in the 1st place? Iv seen hundreds of these threads/questions asked and most of the feedback given is regarding BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power so i would assume those are the most popular in the UK. I don't think iv come across many people stating they use Esso.

My A3 is a TDI so can't really comment on this but did have a Scirocco last year and she flew on V-Power. was the best fuel i used by far and i did try to use different fuels. My A3 only gets V-Power now as its a fuel that i "trust" in a way. Over the yrs had a a few bad fuel incidents where car has felt lumpy and so on. I do a lot of European miles and Shell is the only fuel that is always readily available in nearly every country and that hasn't given any performance issues.

The Shell points system is quite good too. i just got £15's worth of vouchers from my quarterly accumulation so the extra few pence is offset by this.

Reactions: jonisginger and Richierich37
There's nothing wrong with Tesco momentum.

The difference between supermarket fuel and name brand fuel? Additives. The major component of the fuel is identical. Name brands are spending a fair amount on developing new and improved additives that keep things clean, lubricated, emmisions free, anti-knock, anti deposit, anti sludge or all manner of other things, but it's an game of ever decreasing returns. They're rapidly being overtaken by engine manufacturers who are achieving the same things through control systems engineering, and genuine breakthroughs in the chemical engineering side are now few and far between.

Go back in time a few years and there were big differences. Engines ran so badly from factory fresh that often the only way to get them to perform in any way decently was to load the fuel with additives. They'd get coated with carbon deposits, require regular rebuilds, and generally be hard to start from cold. Additives helped keep carbon under control, assisted cold starting, and increased knock resistance. It was worth getting decent fuel. Remember RedEx? My dad used to add a shot of it to every tank. Developments such as direct injection have negated many of the advantages of high price fuel, whose cleaning additives would keep inlet valves free of gunk introduced by recirculating oil breathers into air intakes. Direct injection sprays the fuel directly into the cylinder, so it no longer gets the chance to clean the intake valves etc on its way in.

The worst additive was tetra ethyl lead (TEL). Rather than design engines properly to run without knocking or using freely available and very cheap ethanol to achieve the same ends, the manufacturers and patent holders lobbied the oil companies to add TEL, since it was simpler and cheaper than designing engines properly, and a very profitable move for DuPont, the patent holder. Of course it pumped billions of tonnes of highly toxic carcinogens and neurotoxins into the air as by-product, lowering IQ's and introducing behavioural defects in children, killing several factory workers who made the stuff, and leaving us with lasting damage to the atmosphere, but apparently this was acceptable in the 20th century. Of course manufacturers claimed it would be impossible to retain efficiency and performance without TEL, until they were forced to do it when TEL was banned... History shows us that engines have become ever cleaner, more efficient and more powerful, and that motor manufacturers have always been duplicitous lying ********

Interesting point of trivia, the same guy who brought us widespread use of TEL and the resultant environmental calamity, stupid children, and widespread lead poisoning, Thomas Midgley, also brought us CFC's... I doubt that there's any other single individual in all of history who has managed to create quite so much damage all on his own...

Reactions: Peter1201, Ben85, Tom.H and 11 others
Was funny talking about fuel. Just as I went to Asda, I saw an identical S3 to mine, he must of just picked it up. Yet he was usin Asda fuel. Was literally going to clip him round the ear.. then going into the car park, decided to park next to a Navara blue. So yeah 3 FL S3 In a space of a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: azibux1, Jassyo06, Richierich37 and 1 other person
Used both unleaded /super..... never noticed any difference in either performance or increased mpg using super unleaded and yeah l use fuel from all types of fuel stations

Reactions: Djs3saloon, WarwickL, Benji34 and 5 others
If you don't mind me asking, what made you choose Esso in the 1st place? Iv seen hundreds of these threads/questions asked and most of the feedback given is regarding BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power so i would assume those are the most popular in the UK. I don't think iv come across many people stating they use Esso.

My A3 is a TDI so can't really comment on this but did have a Scirocco last year and she flew on V-Power. was the best fuel i used by far and i did try to use different fuels. My A3 only gets V-Power now as its a fuel that i "trust" in a way. Over the yrs had a a few bad fuel incidents where car has felt lumpy and so on. I do a lot of European miles and Shell is the only fuel that is always readily available in nearly every country and that hasn't given any performance issues.

The Shell points system is quite good too. i just got £15's worth of vouchers from my quarterly accumulation so the extra few pence is offset by this.

I started using Esso when the fuel prices started to shoot back up a few months ago, we are talking 4/5p extra a litre for regular unleaded! So I started using Esso and have had good MPG returns from it. At the moment, Supreme Unleaded in Esso is 121.9 and in Shell it is 124.9.. if I could feel a difference, I would use Shell but the only difference I can tell is 30 miles less range a tank.

I never used to run anything but Shell V-Power in my moped, I can remember paying 148.9 a litre for it!!

Been using Shell V-Power since day one. I did try the high octane stuff from Sainsbury's once and thought I'd put the wrong fuel in...it ran that bad!

Whilst away in Scotland I had to use the Esso, Gleaner and Tesco's high octane, they all ran OK. Apparently Costco use the same stuff as Tesco at their stations, one is opening next week near me so I'll give that a try. Works out at £7 a tank cheaper than the V-power!

I can remember paying 148.9 a litre for it!!
I remember my first car which was a Mini, fuel then was around £0.38 per litre!!! £5 would last me all week :D (1989).

Reactions: zippster and Rob2k68
Been using Shell V-Power since day one. I did try the high octane stuff from Sainsbury's once and thought I'd put the wrong fuel in...it ran that bad!

Whilst away in Scotland I had to use the Esso, Gleaner and Tesco's high octane, they all ran OK. Apparently Costco use the same stuff as Tesco at their stations, one is opening next week near me so I'll give that a try. Works out at £7 a tank cheaper than the V-power!

I remember my first car which was a Mini, fuel then was around £0.38 per litre!!! £5 would last me all week :D (1989).

See, I have a mate in work who is running a mapped S3 8P with Sainsbury's High Octane and he swears it runs better not that thaw with any other fuel, strange.

I give people stinking looks if I see a performance car being filled in a supermarket, the car costs £30k+, whats a few p extra on fuel.....

£0.38 a litre, oh how we can dream :(

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
Been using super only, does say on the filler cap to use 99ron fuel. Tesco momentum is what I prefer, tried V Power but my car just doesn't seem to get on with it - less mpg and seems slightly slower.

Reactions: Daytonapig and Rob2k68
Too many bad reviews, 3.5 years of motoring and I only used it once.. I couldn't make it to Shell on my moped so I put 50p in at Morrisons :yes:

Can't say I have done extensive research but most "reviews" tend to be anecdotal. Would love to see a definitive head to head test ( for any high performance car) which gives dyno and mpg performance between the various leading brands and supermarket fuel. If there was a real difference I am sure it would be in the public domain and the "winning" brand/supermarket would be waxing lyrical

Interesting point of trivia, the same guy who brought us widespread use of TEL and the resultant environmental calamity, stupid children, and widespread lead poisoning, Thomas Midgley, also brought us CFC's... I doubt that there's any other single individual in all of history who has managed to create quite so much damage all on his own...

Is a very good chapter in Bill Brysons " a short history of nearly everything" which gives a bit more detail to Grant's synopsis for anyone interested in reading more.

Interestingly enough it has been replacement of CFC's in the pharmaceutical industry that has given me a half decent career and several patents to my name :)

Reactions: Tej13 and Daytonapig
Can you also remember Formula Shell from the mid 80s and all the engines it gummed up and knackered? Never touched Shell since.
I've used Tesco Momentum for the first couple of months but it's a five mile round trip out of my way locally so the last two tanks have been Morrison's 95.

Reactions: Daytonapig
I usually use momentum 99, which seems to work fine. However, occasionally I've used just normal unleaded either branded or supermarket, and haven't noticed any difference at all.

Car starts just as well in the cold. Runs just as smoothly. No noticeable change in power. No change in fuel economy. Nothing.

I wonder why I keep paying for momentum, but I do so because it is the recommendation to use 98 octane in the manual (and momentum 99 and shell v-power are as far as I'm aware the only fuels which meet this requirement).

Must admit that I've never had a fuel injected car that really cared about the fuel. Every one just ran fine, no matter what went in the tank as long as it mostly met specifications. I even used my last Toyota to get rid of some work chemicals I no longer needed. Methanol, ethanol, panel wipe, turps substitute, white spirit, thinners, isopropanol. I just used to chuck them in the tank and the car lapped them up. When I hooked up an OBD tool to view live data, I did get some strange numbers from the ECU after I chucked 5 litres of methanol into an 1/4 full tank of unleaded, but it ran perfectly and continued to do so until 160k miles when I sold it.

Reactions: Mr.G
There's nothing wrong with Tesco momentum.

The difference between supermarket fuel and name brand fuel? Additives. The major component of the fuel is identical. Name brands are spending a fair amount on developing new and improved additives that keep things clean, lubricated, emmisions free, anti-knock, anti deposit, anti sludge or all manner of other things, but it's an game of ever decreasing returns. They're rapidly being overtaken by engine manufacturers who are achieving the same things through control systems engineering, and genuine breakthroughs in the chemical engineering side are now few and far between.

Go back in time a few years and there were big differences. Engines ran so badly from factory fresh that often the only way to get them to perform in any way decently was to load the fuel with additives. They'd get coated with carbon deposits, require regular rebuilds, and generally be hard to start from cold. Additives helped keep carbon under control, assisted cold starting, and increased knock resistance. It was worth getting decent fuel. Remember RedEx? My dad used to add a shot of it to every tank. Developments such as direct injection have negated many of the advantages of high price fuel, whose cleaning additives would keep inlet valves free of gunk introduced by recirculating oil breathers into air intakes. Direct injection sprays the fuel directly into the cylinder, so it no longer gets the chance to clean the intake valves etc on its way in.

The worst additive was tetra ethyl lead (TEL). Rather than design engines properly to run without knocking or using freely available and very cheap ethanol to achieve the same ends, the manufacturers and patent holders lobbied the oil companies to add TEL, since it was simpler and cheaper than designing engines properly, and a very profitable move for DuPont, the patent holder. Of course it pumped billions of tonnes of highly toxic carcinogens and neurotoxins into the air as by-product, lowering IQ's and introducing behavioural defects in children, killing several factory workers who made the stuff, and leaving us with lasting damage to the atmosphere, but apparently this was acceptable in the 20th century. Of course manufacturers claimed it would be impossible to retain efficiency and performance without TEL, until they were forced to do it when TEL was banned... History shows us that engines have become ever cleaner, more efficient and more powerful, and that motor manufacturers have always been duplicitous lying ********

Boffins

Reactions: TDI-line and Daveotto
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Daveotto and Rob2k68
Can't say I have done extensive research but most "reviews" tend to be anecdotal. Would love to see a definitive head to head test ( for any high performance car) which gives dyno and mpg performance between the various leading brands and supermarket fuel. If there was a real difference I am sure it would be in the public domain and the "winning" brand/supermarket would be waxing lyrical

Fifth Gear did a comparison a few moons back.

Reactions: Richierich37, Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
Fifth Gear did a comparison a few moons back.

I don't think I sit through five minutes of fifth gear drivel to get at the answer... That program makes me want to self-harm.

Reactions: Mr.G, Rob2k68 and AudiNutta

I was sure I saw this somewhere, results are clear!

Reactions: RSS-S3, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
Thanks guys, I downloaded an app today that shows prices around area that you can choose 'super unleaded'. It is showing a good few options all within a 5 mile radius.......

IMG 7920

Looks like I'll be using ESSO as it's the closest and well priced!

Do you guys use this app? ;)

Reactions: AudiNutta, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
Thanks guys, I downloaded an app today that shows prices around area that you can choose 'super unleaded'. It is showing a good few options all within a 5 mile radius.......

View attachment 110872

Looks like I'll be using ESSO as it's the closest and well priced!

Do you guys use this app? ;)

EK....guy...lol

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Richierich37
"PetrolPrices" is the name - just installed it, looks useful...
It'll be interesting to see how accurate it is... even though it says prices are updated daily...

Put something premium in. V Power seems excessive given that its noticeably more expensive than T99. 95 it feels like it's gasping and not torquey. Esso, Texaco and BP premium fuels always got a toss write up. Basically use Tesco or V Power the way I see it given their performances, prices and competitiors.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Fuel is the second most important thing in a performance car next to the Tyres.

Supermarket fuel doesnt contain the additives like shell or BP ultimate contain but also fuels at supermarkets only meet the set standards for quality.... it doesnt exceed them like shell/BP

Personally Its really not worth the small saving...

Fuel is not cheap these days and niether is my precious 4 wheels ...

Reactions: Richierich37
Fuel is the second most important thing in a performance car next to the Tyres.

Supermarket fuel doesnt contain the additives like shell or BP ultimate contain but also fuels at supermarkets only meet the set standards for quality.... it doesnt exceed them like shell/BP

Personally Its really not worth the small saving...

Fuel is not cheap these days and niether is my precious 4 wheels ...

I'd argue that engine oil and brakes are a little higher up the list than fuel, but it's subjective I suppose.

Supermarket fuel does contain additives. Tesco momentum 99 wouldn't be able to meet the knock resistance standard without them.

Name brands and supermarket fuels are exactly the same fuels, meeting exactly the same quality standards, pumped into road tankers from the same nozzles, connected using the same pipes to the same bulk storage tanks, which were filled by the same fractions from the refinery when it boiled up another big batch of million year old squashed dinosaur juice. There's only 6 refineries making petrol in the U.K., and they're not brand specific.

The only thing you're paying extra for is those additives and the badge on the pump, the fuel itself is exactly the same. The importance of these additives is reducing as time goes by and engines become intelligent enough to make target power on good fuel or bad and are able to self tune for better combustion. Old engines couldn't do this and, and with a much narrower range of tolerance for fuel grades they needed the additives as they were the only things that enabled the engine to work properly. Modern engines? Not so much.

My guess is that the big oil companies are now selling us a small fraction of useful detergents and anti knock agents, and ladling it in with a large helping of snake oil and marketing bs. You can rest assured the oil industry, not known for its sense of fair play, generosity, or ability to tell the truth, is not actively seeking to exceed any quality standards where it doesn't have to or isn't getting paid to. Like the aviation, automotive and weapons industries, the oil industry has moral standards that dangle lower than a snakes testicles. They aren't doing you any favours by exceeding quality standards.

Reactions: CarloS3, Matt Titanium, pburv and 4 others
As with others, I've run the car on Shell V Power, with two exceptions, since day 1, 34k miles ago. The first was an emergency fill with unleaded when in the wilds of Scotland at the beginning of this year, and the drop off in performance was noticeable. Never again!

The second was in the last month when I could only fill with Saintsbury's super unleaded. Nothing noticeable performance-wise, as one would expect, but a drop off in consumption (measured brim-to-brim) of 2mpg.

Agree entirely with @GSB above about base fuel and company-specific additives, but I'm happy with my choice and my reasons behind.

Reactions: RSS-S3, pburv and Rob2k68
I use T99 and have done on all past cars too. Never any problems.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv, Mr.G and Rob2k68
Used both unleaded /super..... never noticed any difference in either performance or increased mpg using super unleaded and yeah l use fuel from all types of fuel stations

Here in Aussie, they (98 RON) are all the same and anyone suggesting they get better mileage or improved performance are fooling themselves.

I've had bad batches of fuel from the big names and from the yum cha variety.

Tested over hundreds of thousands of km's on various cars, FI and NA incl the last three VAG cars - tuned and not.

My preference is to use a servo that does a lot of business, tanks filled regularly.

We get decidedly average fuel here but yep, 98 RON minimum. I've had pinging on 95, even though the VAG cars I've owned are tuned to run on it.

Edit - oh and as far as additives go, more snake oil but the advertisers love it.

Real world fuel test comparisons are pointless - far too many variables, even on the same car, driver, roads, dyno.

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
T99 Momentum is what I've stuck in for 7k miles. Nothing wrong with it, doesn't matter that its a supermarket that you buy it from.

Brand snobs seem to think V-Power is the way to go, "I must not be seen at a supermarket filling up my Audi, it'll look so much better if I go to the most expensive fuel Garage to fill my car up!" total nonsense.

And no i'm not a brand snob, just like fast Audi's. :wtf:

G

Reactions: Terminator x, Richierich37, Matt Titanium and 3 others