New rear springs + RS4 rear ARB

disk0

Reaction score
Recently had an MOT, the rears springs were found with about 2' off the bottom of one of the springs. Seems it had been like this for a while but failed the MOT. Now it was level level at the back or I would have noticed a long time ago. It was just a small length from the flat part of the spring. Apparently a common fault.

Anyway I have read about the upgraded RS4 rear ARB and decided when the springs were being done to have this fitted as well.

Its a bit of mixed bag to be honest. The car feels like its on rails now and handles better in corners as expected but the back is really high up, its really high now compared with the old springs. Feels way to high to be honest and have been looking at lowering springs/coil overs or taking the car back to the garage where they were fitted to see if the wrong springs have been fitted.

The mechanic tells me the springs will settle down and sit lower but to be honest I cannot see this happening. I'm using more diesel too, I assume from the new height of the car and extra drag.

The car is a 2007 2.0l TDI S-line, I'm thinking I should have asked for the old rear ARB to sell on as I think its bigger than the one fitted on a non sline model.

Has anyone any experience on this or had similar happen?

You won't be using more diesel because the back is sitting higher than it was before.
It will be the foot to the floor testing you have been doing.
It's possible that the springs they have fitted are incorrect but the original spring was broken and this would have caused the back to be lower anyway, and new springs do tend to bed in after a while but it's only a matter of 5mm or so.

http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-...100-suspension-anti-roll-bar-shock-absorbers/

There is a vast choice of springs available as standard to cover the different models, weight classes etc, the aftermarket springs don't have this choice.

Karl.

From memory...

SE RARB = 16mm
S-line RARB = 18mm
S4 RARB = 20 or 22mm (can't remember which)
RS4 RARB = 24mm.

The springs will take a while to settle, over which time the ride height should level out as your mechanic says. What you have to bear in mind is the original front springs have had years to settle and may always sit slightly lower than the rears. Did you replace the springs with standard s-line ones? Perhaps if the difference is really dramatic the mechanic accidentally used SE springs?

Thanks guys, puts my mind at rest a little. Yes I have been giving a good hammering with the updated rear ARB and a remap to 200bhp its hard not too.

I think winter driving has increased fuel use as well. I will double check with the mechanic he fitted sline springs and hopefully not the SE springs

They have fitted the wrong springs. I used to have a 2007 tdi and had the rear springs dos the same thing. When I went to get them replace the garage tried staying that a4 springs would be fine -- this is wrong if it's an s-line then the springs are lower and the only place I could get the correct springs from ---- AUDI. Just under £100 per spring. Take it back as the springs will not settle.

They have fitted the wrong springs. I used to have a 2007 tdi and had the rear springs dos the same thing. When I went to get them replace the garage tried staying that a4 springs would be fine -- this is wrong if it's an s-line then the springs are lower and the only place I could get the correct springs from ---- AUDI. Just under £100 per spring. Take it back as the springs will not settle.

Will check on Monday morning ~ thanks

I have come across that issue before where the only place you could get the correct spring was the dealers. That was a Passat with sports suspension. Looking at the KYB catalogue one of the major sellers of aftermarket springs they only list 3 different springs for the rear of your car, one is for a car with sports suspension. Which would be the closest to what you have.

http://www.kyb-europe.com/catalogue.asp