New insurance, allowed up to 55bhp remap - what / where to go now in Scotland

Klickflip

Quattro 4 life
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve just sorted my next years insurance and asked for up to 55bhp remap to be allowed. Decent price from Adrian Flux, only £10pm more than ‘cheap’ no frills insurance.

It’s a 2.0tsfi Quattro S-Tronic , so what options do I have and where to go.
Maybe want to look at a TCU remap as well (but not at APR prices) as the lag kills me and is damn right is dangerous leaving roundabouts and junctions.
Or does a good remap cure this ?

I’m in Edinburgh so would have to be east or central Scotland.

Someone with a white avant got an MCR tune in Falkirk recently I saw on a post , not sure where there is in Edinburgh , apart from AutoHaus - APR , but they just sub it out. And there’s a one man tuning station round corner from me says he can Map it but only has 2wd rolling road.

Love to know everyone’s experiences on 2.0tfi Q remapping.
Cheers
S

Hi, I’ve just sorted my next years insurance and asked for up to 55bhp remap to be allowed. Decent price from Adrian Flux, only £10pm more than ‘cheap’ no frills insurance.

It’s a 2.0tsfi Quattro , so what options do I have and where to go. I’m in Edinburgh so would have to be east or central Scotland.

Someone with a white avant got an MCR tune in Falkirk recently I saw on a post , not sure where there is in Edinburgh , apart from AutoHaus - APR , but they just sub it out. And there’s a one man tuning station round corner from me says he can Map it but only has 2wd rolling road.

Love to know everyone’s experiences on 2.0tfi Q remapping.
Cheers
S

@Daveheson (@D.H Automotive) are now MRC dealers in Scotland and also a forum sponsor.

Link below to their website, I'd get in touch with him and enquire about the remap options.

http://www.dhautomotiverepair.co.uk/

5236D519 8820 4BC1 810D A0681F0FB2AF

Reactions: scotty76, RS5 JON and Klickflip
+1 for D.H Automotiv
+1 for MRC.

Got mine done just before Christmas and no complaints.

Reactions: Klickflip and V6_Man
Hi.
Glad we could help out with your insurance for this year.
Regards,
Dan.

Reactions: Klickflip
Maybe want to look at a TCU remap as well (but not at APR prices) as the lag kills me and is damn right is dangerous leaving roundabouts and junctions.
Or does a good remap cure this ?

Whilst a good TCU remap can improve gearchanges its main value is in raising the redline and removing any torque limit, neither of which are going to be really needed for a 2.0TFSI (although the redline is worth further discussion).

Your description of lag when pulling away at roundabouts and junctions should be nothing to do with transmission (if your tyres are OK) as the car should be in 1st gear and have no need to change. Assuming you are not getting clutchpack slip (which should cause a DTC anyway) then the most likely reason is simple turbo lag.

The main purpose of an ECU remap will be to raise the pressure at which the wastegate opens and change the fuel map for the higher air mass across the relevant part of the rev range. As such it does not affect lag and indeed there is not a great deal that can be done about that without hardware changes. What can be done is to change the throttle response, which is what Audi have done in the ADS dynamic setting. This just tends to work the engine harder at low revs than you expect and so compensates a little for the lag. Of course you can also do the same just be pressing the pedal harder, as I'm sure you have learned to do!

I can't comment on where to go in Scotland but I can vouch for MRC maps. If DHA gets ECU files from MRC then they will be decent remaps. I believe they are fitting a new dyno soon? Ask them if they actually tweak the maps on the Dyno like MRC do. It's not essential, but gets optimal performance. Don't underrate the value of a dyno: When the "before" matches the figures that Audi quote for your car, it makes the "after" figures believable. Without that you might always be wondering if the map is what the tuner says it is...

Reactions: Klickflip and V6_Man
D.H Automotiv at the moment have to live map the car. They take it for a few runs and log the data and tweek that way for now as far as I know.

They have broken ground on a brand new Dyno to go with the brand new work shop. He is also the personal owner of the quickest RS3 in Europe I believe... He knows how to map. You can wait till the Dyno is up and going or get it mapped now. I was cheeky and asked for a free run when the Dyno was up..

Screenshot_20190309-165937_Facebook.jpg

Reactions: RS5 JON, Sherv, Klickflip and 1 other person
D.H Automotiv at the moment have to live map the car. They take it for a few runs and log the data and tweek that way for now as far as I know.

They have broken ground on a brand new Dyno to go with the brand new work shop. He is also the personal owner of the quickest RS3 in Europe I believe... He knows how to map. You can wait till the Dyno is up and going or get it mapped now. I was cheeky and asked for a free run when the Dyno was up..

I saw DH’s RS3 @ MRC the other Friday being loaded back on the a trailer to head back to Scotland as I believed it had been with MRC for mapping rather than being done in-house by DH.

Reactions: Sherv and V6_Man
Whilst a good TCU remap can improve gearchanges its main value is in raising the redline and removing any torque limit, neither of which are going to be really needed for a 2.0TFSI (although the redline is worth further discussion).

Your description of lag when pulling away at roundabouts and junctions should be nothing to do with transmission (if your tyres are OK) as the car should be in 1st gear and have no need to change. Assuming you are not getting clutchpack slip (which should cause a DTC anyway) then the most likely reason is simple turbo lag.

The main purpose of an ECU remap will be to raise the pressure at which the wastegate opens and change the fuel map for the higher air mass across the relevant part of the rev range. As such it does not affect lag and indeed there is not a great deal that can be done about that without hardware changes. What can be done is to change the throttle response, which is what Audi have done in the ADS dynamic setting. This just tends to work the engine harder at low revs than you expect and so compensates a little for the lag. Of course you can also do the same just be pressing the pedal harder, as I'm sure you have learned to do!

I can't comment on where to go in Scotland but I can vouch for MRC maps. If DHA gets ECU files from MRC then they will be decent remaps. I believe they are fitting a new dyno soon? Ask them if they actually tweak the maps on the Dyno like MRC do. It's not essential, but gets optimal performance. Don't underrate the value of a dyno: When the "before" matches the figures that Audi quote for your car, it makes the "after" figures believable. Without that you might always be wondering if the map is what the tuner says it is...

Thanks , I’ve read numerous post on several forum about the S-Tronic / dsg lag and spoken to Audi tech about it. It’s just a feature apparently .
Maybe some are worse than others due to age or how warm oil is.

- have you a S-Tronic or experienced it a borrowed car ?
It’s really noticeable, especially when engine / gearbox is cold.

Hard to explain if you haven’t driven one.
Basically from a standstill it’s worse, you’re at a junction see a small gap in traffic , put your foot down fairly hard , car does nothing for 1 sec , then it feels like clutch rides and car trundles out slowly , then rev rise to where they should be relative to pedal and seems like transmission catches up / engages fully and you have full revs and power - like a rubber band effect.
Plus because you are getting nothing much from transmission you tend to give more right foot.
3-4 secs go by , you’ve only edged out one car’s length with no power then you get a surge of all power, transmission , traction and you’re catapulted out rather dangerously, whilst the oncoming car is having to slow for you.

In a manual ,you are straight out (and quicker) when you put power down , whatever car you have.

The way I try to combat is always be rolling if you can or just let brake off and car take off with out any power then feather it in .
sometimes you forget this and just need to make a gap , which is where things get scary.

I have read it’s a safety feature to give people a chance if they hit accelerator by accident.
I also think it’s software / electronic override saving the clutch stress, as I say it’sa delay , and rubberband power / clutch feathering feeling.
Definitely not turbo lag in my eyes. The car just doesn’t move when you hit the accelerator .
Cheers

Thanks, actually spoke to David today . Rolling road won’t be ready till later in April... builders problems apparently.
He said he does indeed do a live map before and after as best way without a RR.
Gonna pop over and see him on next couple of weeks :)

Thanks , I’ve read numerous post on several forum about the S-Tronic / dsg lag and spoken to Audi tech about it. It’s just a feature apparently .
Maybe some are worse than others due to age or how warm oil is.

- have you a S-Tronic or experienced it a borrowed car ?
It’s really noticeable, especially when engine / gearbox is cold.

Hard to explain if you haven’t driven one.
Basically from a standstill it’s worse, you’re at a junction see a small gap in traffic , put your foot down fairly hard , car does nothing for 1 sec , then it feels like clutch rides and car trundles out slowly , then rev rise to where they should be relative to pedal and seems like transmission catches up / engages fully and you have full revs and power - like a rubber band effect.
Plus because you are getting nothing much from transmission you tend to give more right foot.
3-4 secs go by , you’ve only edged out one car’s length with no power then you get a surge of all power, transmission , traction and you’re catapulted out rather dangerously, whilst the oncoming car is having to slow for you.

In a manual ,you are straight out (and quicker) when you put power down , whatever car you have.

The way I try to combat is always be rolling if you can or just let brake off and car take off with out any power then feather it in .
sometimes you forget this and just need to make a gap , which is where things get scary.

I have read it’s a safety feature to give people a chance if they hit accelerator by accident.
I also think it’s software / electronic override saving the clutch stress, as I say it’sa delay , and rubberband power / clutch feathering feeling.
Definitely not turbo lag in my eyes. The car just doesn’t move when you hit the accelerator .
Cheers

Yes, my S5 is s-tronic - the same 0B5 dual clutch gearbox as your car. However my engine is supercharged so I don't get the lag that turbo engines get.

If you are putting significant pressure on the accelerator pedal for 3-4 seconds and the car only moves 5m then it does sound like something is wrong. What revs does the engine do during that time? Presumably the gearbox is in D1?