New Car Delivery

farmerpalmer

Reaction score
I will be taking delivery (hopefully) in the next month.
Now i appreciate most will be collecting their new car from the dealer.
But, if the dealer is miles away and picking up is not possible, i would be interested in how the car was "delivered" -was it driven /back of a lorry /covered car transporter ?
Were there any issues with delivery?
Has anyone had their car delivered to a local dealer belonging to the same "dealer group" as ordered through?

Is delivery a better option or should i just pick it up, even though it would not be the most convenient?
Any advice would be appreciated

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I'd be picking it up if it was simply the length of journey that was the issue.

Reactions: Reggieboy71 and Tom.H
How far have you got to go? I would definitely prefer to collect myself if at all possible.
Years ago I had an Audi A3 on lease and it came through a dealer up in Newcastle. They delivered it in a covered transporter - with Audi livery - quite impressive!!

Yep I'd make the journey to collect.

I'm hopefully selling my car to a dealership in Sheffield and then getting the train back to Chester. Shame that Audi Sheffield didn't bother to get back to me on the new car, that would have made things easier, as they are 2 mile away from the place that is buying my car!

l live in Glasgow and will have travel down to London to collect my car in a few weeks time,going get the plane down and drive back,its a necessary evil l am afraid,going keep of the transportation film on the car and remove it when l get home

Reactions: richinsoton, Daveotto and Audi Bairn
@farmerpalmer - TBH with you, up to about 3 hours travel time, I would go & collect it yourself

going keep of the transportation film on the car and remove it when l get home
@jassyo06 - When I collected my new S4 I was told it was part of the PDI to remove the white transport film, although some was left on, as can be seen in some of the pic's in the below link
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...loon-black-edition.240456/page-6#post-2476647

I think I would still have it removed 'just in case'

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
How far have you got to go? I would definitely prefer to collect myself if at all possible.
Years ago I had an Audi A3 on lease and it came through a dealer up in Newcastle. They delivered it in a covered transporter - with Audi livery - quite impressive!!

I am in the North East and the dealer is in Kent, so the journey is not straightforward ( train -tube -tube- train), but certainly possible. However, if it was delivered in a covered transporter, that would be ok.
I would certainly look forward to the long drive home, but would be paranoid on incurring some damage /stone chip on the way.

@farmerpalmer - TBH with you, up to about 3 hours travel time, I would go & collect it yourself

@jassyo06 - When I collected my new S4 I was told it was part of the PDI to remove the white transport film, although some was left on, as can be seen in some of the pic's in the below link
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...loon-black-edition.240456/page-6#post-2476647

I think I would still have it removed 'just in case'

Definitely going to keep the bonnet covered mate they can take the rest away

As above, if they'll delivery it on a trailer then fine, otherwise collect it, no matter how far away it is.

Collect it, how often do you have a new car? It's a tank of fuel at the end of the day, nothing. Flights are peanuts too, if it's really that far away and Audi will pick you up.

I used to work at Audi in Milton Keynes. All I can say is the delivery drivers there were all over 55. They all drove very sensibly especially with customer deliveries!

For me, if someone else was driving my brand new car for 200+miles it would feel like a second hand/nearly new car. If it arrived on a trailer it should be ok, it has come from the factory for hundreds of miles in the open, on a train and on a trailer.
But, collecting it yourself would give you a perfect chance to get used to your brand new car. Maybe you could make a mini break of it and see the sights near the dealer.
Whatever you decide, enjoy the experience.:racer:

I am in the North East and the dealer is in Kent, so the journey is not straightforward ( train -tube -tube- train), but certainly possible. However, if it was delivered in a covered transporter, that would be ok.
I would certainly look forward to the long drive home, but would be paranoid on incurring some damage /stone chip on the way.

A good long steady motorway drive is always a good way to get used to a new car and help to "run it in" more than it already is.

I picked my latest from my local dealer (same dealer @jassy06 is collecting from) and the following day took it on a 550+ mile round trip from Hertfordshire to County Durham

A good long steady motorway drive is always a good way to get used to a new car and help to "run it in" more than it already is.

I picked my latest from my local dealer (same dealer @jassy06 is collecting from) and the following day took it on a 550+ mile round trip from Hertfordshire to County Durham
Yeah Whetstone Audi mate l also think my handover will done by the exact same salesman you got Tom is his first name, as the sales chap l dealt with Jordan Leighton has left for pastures new

I used to work at Audi in Milton Keynes. All I can say is the delivery drivers there were all over 55. They all drove very sensibly especially with customer deliveries!

That's exactly the problem.

I subscribe to the theory that a new car needs to be driven reasonably hard in the first 100/200 miles to ensure the piston rings seal properly. Not thrashed but, once fully warmed through, put under reasonable load.

If it arrives with 100/200 miles on the clock already then much of this opportunity is lost.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
That would be a great little 'beer money' job for anyone who took early retirement....that will do me in 9 years if all goes well :)

Reactions: Tom.H, Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
That would be a great little 'beer money' job for anyone who took early retirement....that will do me in 9 years if all goes well :)

If l do retire lol my son said he would get me a job like this or a spec geek for his dealership they get £32k a year just for knowing all the specs and colours on all models candy candy lol

Reactions: MattSedg, Audi Bairn, Rolly12 and 3 others
Yeah they were all semi retired blokes. Just something to do in their retirement! And got to drive RS6's every now and then! Perfect job.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jassyo06 and S32B
I live 15 miles south of Glasgow and I ordered my S3 through Bristol's Monmotors/Audi in January. It was transported up to me on a beaver tail van and it was immaculate and I'd class myself as an Amateur detailer. I was very impressed with it.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Rolly12 and Jassyo06
I live 15 miles south of Glasgow and I ordered my S3 through Bristol's Monmotors/Audi in January. It was transported up to me on a beaver tail van and it was immaculate and I'd class myself as an Amateur detailer. I was very impressed with it.

Your from EK then?

I subscribe to the theory that a new car needs to be driven reasonably hard in the first 100/200 miles to ensure the piston rings seal properly. Not thrashed but, once fully warmed through, put under reasonable load.
@Vertigo1 - +1 on this ^ :thumbs up:

Reactions: Vertigo1

That would do me in 3 weeks time, where do I apply?

Reactions: S32B, Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
Thanks for all the helpful comments.
I will contact the dealer and find out a bit more on how it would be delivered. Really not keen on someone else driving it up't north, if that were the case i would rather do it myself :greyrs4:

Reactions: AudiNutta
Really not keen on someone else driving it up't north, if that were the case i would rather do it myself :greyrs4:
You do that mate, don't trust those southern shandy drinkers! They think there's nothing past Birmingham :p

well, my car was delivered to my door on a trailor, and is was immaculate.
Great service from the dealer and the driver was a top guy. very straightforward .

Reactions: Audi Bairn, MattW, Djs3saloon and 1 other person