New car check

pudding

Reaction score
After months of reading this forum and god knows how many times I've specced cars up, I'm finally moving for work (only a 140mile commute at start and end of the week instead of 260) and am in a position to get a new car ordered. Have an 04 8P model A3 atm so this will be a huge step up. Here's the spec I've got quotes for so far:

New A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI S Line 5dr S Tronic
£27,865
Colour not specified (customise)
£0
Additional Options
Comfort pack - A3 with adaptive cruise control - £955.0
Black roof rails - £250.0
Technology pack - A3 Hatchback/Sportback/RS3 - £1495.0
Extended interior elements mono.pur - £295.0
LED headlights with headlight washers - £795.0
Audi Sound System with 10 speakers - £255.0
Perforated alcantara/leather - Black - £480.0
Black styling pack - A3 - £395.0
Deletion of model + engine designation at rear - £0.0
High beam assistant - £100.0
Non smoking pack - A3 - £0.0
Privacy glass - £290.0
18" 10 spoke design titanium matt alloy wheel - £395.0

£5,705
Total RRP £33,570

I've got a few quotes through carwow and plan on doing PCP over 4 years. I'm not 100% sure what I'd do once the term is up so not sure if I should increase the deposit or even reduce it, this will be the first time I've used PCP, previous was just a hire purchase. Details so far are:

Deposit: £5000
Term:48 Months
Mileage:15k pa
Repayments: £377.97
GFV:£10,902.20
APR: 5.5%

Any recommendations on the car specs? Hopefully I've not doubled up on anything or missed something (mono.pur is there ;) ) Torn on colour, Scuba Blue or Mythos Black, decisions decisions....

Nice spec. I wouldn't add much to that apart from folding mirrors.

I find them very useful - I always forgot if I have locked the car causing me to turn around half way across the car park to check. With the folding mirrors they fold on locking so much easier to check a mile off - problem solved!!

I see you have specked Black Pack - this a nice option but not sure if that would work with Scuba. Black on black works.

Nice spec :) everyone will have different opinions but here's mine, I agree with the folding mirrors as Pulp said, also unless you will be using a roof box I wouldn't go for the roof rails, although they do look good. I also think the interior light pack is a good little extra to think about. I'm not sure the LED lights are worth the extra over the xenon lights. That money could be used for the B & O sound system which believe me is worth every penny, I've seen loads of people on here saying they wish they had it instead of the Audi system and are looking at an expensive retro fit. One thing I wish I had spec'd is the through load facility as it would have come in useful a few times.

I like the scuba blue over the mythos black.

Finally, I'm not 100% sure what's included in the nonsmoking pack, but I believe they just change the cigarette lighter for a blank and don't give you the ashtray, I find the ashtray quite a useful cubby hole for loose change. Seeing as it's a no cost addition I'd keep it :)

Last edited:
Nice spec, but I wouldn't be looking at splashing over 30 grand on a diesel A3 until I'd seen what the upcoming facelifted model looked like first.

Agree with the previous poster on the LED headlights, too. Unless I was getting a car with a really swish dynamic set up on it, like on an A8 or a 5 series BMW, I'd not bother. At this end of the market xenons still beat LEDs.

With the none smoking pack you also get heavy duty wiring to cope with more load, so you can plug stuff in that is more demanding to run. I can't remember the max load of the top of my head, I am sure someone else will know.

Thanks for the comments all. Interior light pack and folding/dimming mirrors were things I'd intended on speccing but somehow have been missed speccing through carwow. Will get rid of the non-smoking kit by the sounds of it too. Getting rid of the LED lights and swapping for B&O is tempting too if there is not much improvement going for the LED lights, I just thought it would have been quite a big improvement over the standard lights?

Oh, and when is the facelight out? I was hoping to get an order in fairly soon and start the waiting game.

Last edited:
Nice spec :) everyone will have different opinions but here's mine, I agree with the folding mirrors as Pulp said, also unless you will be using a roof box I wouldn't go for the roof rails, although they do look good. I also think the interior light pack is a good little extra to think about. I'm not sure the LED lights are worth the extra over the xenon lights. That money could be used for the B & O sound system which believe me is worth every penny, I've seen loads of people on here saying they wish they had it instead of the Audi system and are looking at an expensive retro fit. One thing I wish I had spec'd is the through load facility as it would have come in useful a few times.

I like the scuba blue over the mythos black.

Finally, I'm not 100% sure what's included in the nonsmoking pack, but I believe they just change the cigarette lighter for a blank and don't give you the ashtray, I find the ashtray quite a useful cubby hole for loose change. Seeing as it's a no cost addition I'd keep it :)

totally agree keep the smoking pack!

The ashtray is handy for keeping "things" in. The cigarette lighter is fine for plugging in a sat nav etc..Remember you have a 12v socket behind the armrest and one in the boot!

Thanks for the comments all. Interior light pack and folding/dimming mirrors were things I'd intended on speccing but somehow have been missed speccing through carwow. Will get rid of the non-smoking kit by the sounds of it too. Getting rid of the LED lights and swapping for B&O is tempting too if there is not much improvement going for the LED lights, I just thought it would have been quite a big improvement over the standard lights?

Oh, and when is the facelight out? I was hoping to get an order in fairly soon and start the waiting game.

I thought a facelift wasn't due until 2017, the details and pictures may well be out before that though.

Yeah, wating until next year is a bit too long of a wait for me. Created a new spec, actually gone for the 184HP quattro after removing a few other bits, comes to just over £2k more than the spec above if the above included the Mythos paint cost. Now as below:

2.0 TDI QUATTRO S TRONIC S LINE
Diesel - Automatic - 5 doors
£30,565
METALLIC - MYTHOS BLACK
£550
COMFORT PACK - A3 WITH ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL
£955
TECHNOLOGY PACK - A3 HATCHBACK/SPORTBACK/RS3
£1,495
EXTENDED INTERIOR ELEMENTS MONO.PUR
£295
XENON PLUS WITH ADAPTIVE LIGHTS
£295
PERFORATED ALCANTARA/LEATHER - BLACK
£480
BLACK STYLING PACK - A3
£395
BANG + OLUFSEN ADVANCED SOUND SYSTEM
£750
DELETION OF MODEL + ENGINE DESIGNATION AT REAR
£0
ELECTRIC ADJUSTABLE/HEATED/FOLDING DOOR MIRRORS
£150
18" 10 SPOKE DESIGN TITANIUM MATT ALLOY WHEEL
£395

TOTAL RRP
£36,325

The ashtray is handy for keeping "things" in. The cigarette lighter is fine for plugging in a sat nav etc..Remember you have a 12v socket behind the armrest and one in the boot!

I was told the ciggy lighter is only 9V and is NOT designed for plugging 12V kit into.

I was told the ciggy lighter is only 9V and is NOT designed for plugging 12V kit into.

Maybe so, who knows?? I've had my boys iPad as well as my Mrs iPhone charging at the same time from it no dramas. I think if anything were to misbehave it would just be a case of a new fuse, at worst a new usb adapter.

All Cigarette Lighter and Power Sockets are 12V.

The only difference is the thickness of the wiring to the 12V Sockets, so you are able to safely plug in a higher rated device (e.g.: fridge or inverter)

From @h5djr:
"The only other difference I can see is on the wiring diagram. The cigarette light has a 1.5mm earth wire connection whilst the 12v socket has a 2.5mm earth wire connection."

Covered previously here:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/12v-cigarette-lighter-can-you-use-it-for-sat-nav.230129/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/no-smoking-option.219315/#post-2184770
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-ashtray-cup-alternatives.199297/#post-1974387
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/non-smokers-pack-in-8v.192841/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/non-smoking-package.207922/

As for the boot & rear centre console 12V Power Socket:
You only get this if you spec the QE1 Storage & Luggage Package Option. (Which is included in S-Line and S3)

I didn't get the storage & luggage option, so I'm wondering if the rear center console and/or trunk (boot) 12V sockets can be retrofitted. I could not find any extra wiring behind the driver side tray in the trunk and haven't been brave enough to pull the center console apart yet. I have found the AC duct faceplate which includes the power socket hole along with the sockets (separate items).

Thanks.

Tried the A3 8V 2.0 Tdi quattro 184 S tronic hardly got it out of the car park before I realised it had absolutely no oomph at all...had just been driving an M135i manual for hour and a half though...

Gonna be naughty and suggest you go for the S3 in manual, you'll love it !

Your new spec misses out High Beam Assist. I would keep that - I love it. Also Hold Assist is pretty cheap and useful at times.
As far as the non-smoking option is concerned, many on here say the dealer will give you an ashtray/cup anyway. Mine certainly did when I asked - actually just took it out of another car in the showroom!!

The only other option I would suggest is SALOON :blahblah1:

As others have said, definitely swap the LED lights for B&O. The LEDs on the A3 are low-end items to be honest, not the full matrix jobs available on higher-end models and won't provide any better lighting than Xenons in reality. Not worth the additional outlay at all.

As others have said, definitely swap the LED lights for B&O. The LEDs on the A3 are low-end items to be honest, not the full matrix jobs available on higher-end models and won't provide any better lighting than Xenons in reality. Not worth the additional outlay at all.

Yep, but would be a different story if you also got the dynamic rear indicators :)

When I added the Xenon plus with adaptive lights the website asked to remove the high beam assist so I thought that would be included with the xenon lights I specced? I can double check with the dealer just to make sure. S3 and saloon, tempting, but I'll do over 15000miles pa and have 2 dogs so need the flexibility of a sportback really.

Yep, but would be a different story if you also got the dynamic rear indicators :)

Haha, something tells me they'll get added when the A3 is facelifted. So far I think it's the R8, TT, A6 and A8 that have them. If the new A4 gets them then they're a cert for the A3.

Talking of funky indicators, you do get the DRL front indicators with LED lights, which to be honest is about the only thing about them worth having! Do with the normal DRLs did this and wouldn't be surprised if it also became standard for Xenons come facelift time.

Yeah, wating until next year is a bit too long of a wait for me. Created a new spec, actually gone for the 184HP quattro after removing a few other bits, comes to just over £2k more than the spec above if the above included the Mythos paint cost. Now as below:

2.0 TDI QUATTRO S TRONIC S LINE
Diesel - Automatic - 5 doors
£30,565
METALLIC - MYTHOS BLACK
£550
COMFORT PACK - A3 WITH ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL
£955
TECHNOLOGY PACK - A3 HATCHBACK/SPORTBACK/RS3
£1,495
EXTENDED INTERIOR ELEMENTS MONO.PUR
£295
XENON PLUS WITH ADAPTIVE LIGHTS
£295
PERFORATED ALCANTARA/LEATHER - BLACK
£480
BLACK STYLING PACK - A3
£395
BANG + OLUFSEN ADVANCED SOUND SYSTEM
£750
DELETION OF MODEL + ENGINE DESIGNATION AT REAR
£0
ELECTRIC ADJUSTABLE/HEATED/FOLDING DOOR MIRRORS
£150
18" 10 SPOKE DESIGN TITANIUM MATT ALLOY WHEEL
£395

TOTAL RRP
£36,325

Holy moly, my S3 was less than that, RRP with 5K of extras, lol

Holy moly, my S3 was less than that, RRP with 5K of extras, lol
That's funny. I just checked the brochure and the basic, manual S3 saloon RRP is £33K. I know there is a premium on the saloon, but surely not £8K?

My S3 was only about 500 quid more lol well spec'd A3 you're going to have there mate

He said £36,325 for his revised spec, mine was about £36,850 ish

Ok you got me wondering lol so just built mine on the configurator to see if I was talking poo, it comes in at £36,840 RRP, £37,705 ROTR. Oh and to make you feel really sick I only actually paid around £26,000 (ish) with the discount and tax removed ;)

So basically you think I can get an S3 with the same spec for about the same money as the 2.0TDI 184hp version? How's that possible?

Not quite the same spec, u might have to change a few extra's, my spec for example.

That's funny. I just checked the brochure and the basic, manual S3 saloon RRP is £33K. I know there is a premium on the saloon, but surely not £8K?
I never said mine was a saloon. It's also an auto.

Ok you got me wondering lol so just built mine on the configurator to see if I was talking poo, it comes in at £36,840 RRP, £37,705 ROTR. Oh and to make you feel really sick I only actually paid around £26,000 (ish) with the discount and tax removed ;)
How did you get the tax removed? Business?

So basically you think I can get an S3 with the same spec for about the same money as the 2.0TDI 184hp version? How's that possible?

Easy theyre roughly the same price, the S3 is just harder to sell, so its a no brainer

How did you get the tax removed? Business?

I'm forces based over in Germany for a few years - entitled to buy pretty much everything tax free, although only one car per year and have to own it for year before selling up, still some profit to made if I do, but think I'll keep this one :)

The majority of cars sold by Audi are dirty diesels, and that goes for BMW too

Much tougher to sell a niche petrol 300 bhp high insurance 25 mile per gallon...need I say more !

You are right they do come out slightly more expensive, but it all depends what they need to shift when etc etc I'm sure you can get an S3 similar spec at the same price or less than a deisel, and perhaps the other way round too on the right day....buying cars is not logical unless youre sat in the Sales Managers office, and then it might not seem logical either !

Its not even about cars these days....they are just a vehicle for debt (ie finance and extras)

Last edited:
I'm forces based over in Germany for a few years - entitled to buy pretty much everything tax free, although only one car per year and have to own it for year before selling up, still some profit to made if I do, but think I'll keep this one :)
Oh nice one mate. Is that in Bad Fallingbostel by any chance? I visited there last year.

Sorry, I realised what your spec was. I was just comparing with the prices in the only brochure I have
Yeah, mine is on order at the moment mate with a build week of 44 I think. S3 Hatchback S-Tronic, Glacier white. 5K of extras - 13% discount I negotiated. With my 5K deposit from my current A3 it has come out at £26K to finance.