1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New B8 owner and panaramic sunroof water leak!

bhodgkiss Dec 5, 2018 at 3:39 PM

1. bhodgkiss

bhodgkiss New Member

Hi All,

I've just picked up a 2008 B8 3,0TDI Avant at a good price, so looking forward to some time on this forum.

I know members such as Karl with the 380bhp+ 3.0TDI so know there's some good guys on here.

So to start with.... I need to sort a water leak around the panoramic sunroof. The rear right seat is wet and headlining above.

I believe I first need to check the front and rear drains? So peel back the rear wheel arch liner and access the rear drain from there?

Any help appreciated - ive done a few searches and found various info, but was hoping this thread might end up as a useful one as I'll put all the info on here.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. spartacus 68

spartacus 68 Active Member Team Ibis Audi A2 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

4. bhodgkiss

bhodgkiss New Member

Many thanks

Also two other niggles please:

- The front passenger seat rattles when going over bumps (when no-one is sat it in, its a proper metallic tapping sound. Looks to be the upright part of the seat buzzing around
    - Left headlight washer pops out but doesn't pop back in! Is there a common fault on this please?

Ive got vag-com and its not thrown up too many issues in general.

5. MuPPeT_ON_TouR

MuPPeT_ON_TouR Active Member Supercharged TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Silver Supporter Sportback Audi S5 Black Edition quattro OBD11 USER Deep Black Pearl DSG

Headlight washer is very common to be faulty and leak. And not a cheap fix.

Front bumper off and replacement washer job.

6. spartacus 68

Regards the rattling seat, ideally you want to remove from the car to access it from both sides. Be aware if you disconnect from the car it may throw up errors, fine in you have VCDS. Not sure just how much you can adjust on these seats, as something is either loose or worn. Had a similar rattle on the passenger front seat on my B5 V6 quattro. Ended up turning up the CD player! You might be able to adjust, or add a little foam padding if it's metal on metal.

7. bhodgkiss

bhodgkiss New Member

8. cyhliu

cyhliu Active Member

I recently had the same issue with my panoramic sunroof and I managed to fix it without too much trouble. Please see my thread;

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/water-ingress-rear-passenger-side.380440/

I cleaned out the drainage hole in the rear wheel well following instructions from one of the links in the thread. So far haven't had any further leaks (touch wood!) and we've had a fair bit of rain since I cleaned it out.

9. bhodgkiss

bhodgkiss New Member

Many thanks

I don't actually have water in the car at the rear.

Both front footwells are wet, and when the roof opens it dumps water onto the rear right seat.

What is the special tool to remove the grab handles when doing the headliner please? I might as well buy one :)

10. Russboy

Russboy Active Member Supercharged Audi S4

spartacus 68 likes this.
  11. spartacus 68

Given its winter then you really want to minimise damage to the car. It's amazing just how much water can come in the car, so dry off the carpets, and get some plastic sheeting down there. Tape off where the water runs down the footwell plastic trim to capture it, otherwise you're in a world of **** as the soundproofing under the carpet will suck it up.

This is quite a good guide for the tool for the headliner handles. https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/701896-B8-A4-DIY-Headliner-Removal

I'm still trying to solve the issue, and short of spending £800 for a new cassette which may or may not solve it, I'm trying this. https://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/forum/uploads/10/Yeti_Panoramic_Roof_Leak.pdf

I ordered the Captain Tolley's sealer. Sure saves opening the roof lining again, (bear in mind I've been in there more times than a surgeon doing a routine appendix operation). Plant to put Sikaflex 291 (black) over the top too from the outside.

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. spartacus 68

Good news. The drain channels where the tube connects is very poorly designed, what were Audi thinking?