New APR stage 3 and 3+ Kit is out now

Golf R / S3 Stage 3+ 98 RON 494 HP 414 FT-LBS : +216 HP @ 6,700 RPM +169 TQ @ 6,700 RPM (ATW figures)

giggidy.

Reactions: Rumpelkillskins and Wondering Soul
10.8 1/4 is mental. Think I'll get a TD1 flag? Lmao

Reactions: jimojameso and PanamaS3
This simply looks insane. Who wants to guess the cost?

I'd like to know if you can buy the Stage 3 downpipe separately...anyone know?
Also...info on website seems sparse regarding what other hardware is really necessary to make the most of the Stage 3 kit...intercooler? intake? clutch upgrade? big brakes? etc...I'm assuming all of this and then some

I'd like to know if you can buy the Stage 3 downpipe separately...anyone know?
Also...info on website seems sparse regarding what other hardware is really necessary to make the most of the Stage 3 kit...intercooler? intake? clutch upgrade? big brakes? etc...I'm assuming all of this and then some

i've noticed a few months ago that APR changed their site dramatically regarding their wording. This includes being vague with hardware and figures.

they do state they cant comment on the engine / internals from stage 3 and 3+.
let alone injectors, fuel pump need upgrading, then the extra fuel, can lead from anything from bore to piston damage... i think its very hush hush to cover their own **** and giving figures just to give people talking. its clearly not a safe stage to go to...

Reactions: S3Alex and PanamaS3
i've noticed a few months ago that APR changed their site dramatically regarding their wording. This includes being vague with hardware and figures.

they do state they cant comment on the engine / internals from stage 3 and 3+.
let alone injectors, fuel pump need upgrading, then the extra fuel, can lead from anything from bore to piston damage... i think its very hush hush to cover their own **** and giving figures just to give people talking. its clearly not a safe stage to go to...

yep I agree right now....I'm on the FB page of APR and I belong to the S3 8V owners page on FB....all the chat is going on now....and so far there's been "no comment" regarding engine internals....though I just read from APR that they are developing clutch packs, so probably safe to assume that that's going to be needed....plus they have to bring out a Stage 3 TCU tune.
what is essential to buy with their Stage 3 is the Stage 3 fueling system....and you have to have intercooler and intake...
best to wait a while for the early adopters to iron out the creases me thinks

Reactions: S3Alex
I thought this was good run down of what's needed and prices from US site. Certainly adds up! I believe in Aust on MK6R the full stage 3 kit and everything required and upgraded internals/clutch packs was aroung $30k. I'd guess the same for this with everything you would want. I don;t think if you're going stage 3 you should skimp on E85, internals, DSG clutch packs. MIght as well go all out!

Personally I don't see it better than a stage 2 as a DD. With torque coming in 700-800 rpm later than stage 2. I do 98% of my driving under 3k rpm so that's my most important.

If you have the money and Race, track car go for it, I salute you and look forward to the records to come!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by htmlspinnr
So, for those who suck at math, it seems there's a lot of parts required to make this kit work as advertised. What's a "stock" to "stage 3+" kit going to look like, all-inclusive? I'm tallying $10,300 w/o knowing what the engine/DSG parts upgrades look like, and not excluding labor. All prices MSRP from APRs page.

$5499 for Stage 3 turbo kit
$1499 for Stage 3+ Fueling
$699 for TCU upgrade
~$420 for hose upgrade
$899 for intercooler (why not go front-mount at this point?)
$399 for oil catch can
$449 for intake
$479 for APR AWD Downpipe

??? for future DSG clutch-pack upgrade
??? for valve-spring upgrade
??? for future flex-fuel kit (E85 would practically be a must for any real fun)

Reactions: PanamaS3 and S3Alex
I think they've developed a good package,which will suit most people looking for a one-stop big turbo kit.
They've done much the same job as they did with the 8P kit,and provided something well specc'd.

Now the not so good......as usual,it's smothered in loads and loads of data,which is fine in one respect,but means you have to be very careful working out what you're likely to get.

The highest figures(i.e.the 520+bhp result) are on 104RON fuel,which we don't have.
They've also been quite crafty with the torque,which even on their Stg3+/104RON runs is a peak of 440lbs,and 414 lbs on our 98RON fuel,presumably to limit issues with stock engine internals.

To get that though,you need ALL of the parts on APR's extensive list of costly upgrades.

They are rather wooly on the need for engine internals and DSG parts.....
An engine build alone would set you back around £2-3k in parts and labour.

The other thing is that for those of us who remember the RS kit,and the previous S3 kit,is that by the time the kit moves across the Atlantic,the prices in pounds may roughly equate to dollar numbers.

Don't get me wrong,I'm not having a serious go at this kit.....I think it's time that someone turned out a good kit,and APR have a track record of doing this sort of thing properly,but with typically opaque pricing and spec levels.

Reactions: Wondering Soul, Connor121, PanamaS3 and 1 other person
Yeah it's everything I thought it would be.....

So I bought a TTE525R, read into that what you will ☺️

Reactions: DAZMC, PanamaS3, bqik and 3 others
Not APR, though I did try!
It will be MRC who are willing to take up the challenge.

Good luck,Dan.

I think a custom tuner is the right way to go,especially with something like a one-off build or the first of a kind.
If you find you need more later,and certainly when it's available for your engine,I can recommend the Syvecs ECU for something that would get the absolute maximum out of your turbo.

In the meantime,I'm sure that MRC would be careful of torque limiting,with a relatively large turbo for this engine.

As before...good luck and I hope it goes well.

Reactions: PanamaS3, Dandanfings and Forbzeeee
Good luck,Dan.

I think a custom tuner is the right way to go,especially with something like a one-off build or the first of a kind.
If you find you need more later,and certainly when it's available for your engine,I can recommend the Syvecs ECU for something that would get the absolute maximum out of your turbo.

In the meantime,I'm sure that MRC would be careful of torque limiting,with a relatively large turbo for this engine.

As before...good luck and I hope it goes well.

Thanks, MRC certainly have the right experience for he job so I have faith they will get it right for a daily driven car.

And I have already ordered the turbo!

Reactions: pepperisback and bqik
ok...I was being a bit of a car noob...the Stage 3 downpipe (obviously) won't fit on anything but the Stage 3 turbo....mind made, am now heading down Stage 2 max only with Miltek full TBE and sort all the handling issues out rather than chase more power...but fairplay to you Dan, will be interesting hearing how you get on as am sure will be epic :racer:

Think I'll stick with the original plan and go for a custom build and tune (hopefully with a Syvec ECU). APR recommend an engine rebuild if you want the engine to reliably last for a while longer. Rods, bearings, pistons, rings and valve springs. If I'm going that far for an off the shelf kit I may as well go custom in my eyes!

Reactions: PanamaS3, S3Alex and OliS3
Think I'll stick with the original plan and go for a custom build and tune (hopefully with a Syvec ECU). APR recommend an engine rebuild if you want the engine to reliably last for a while longer. Rods, bearings, pistons, rings and valve springs. If I'm going that far for an off the shelf kit I may as well go custom in my eyes!

This was part of what I was saying above.

They don't quite say that an engine build is essential for reliability,but they kind of imply that it might be....why not just say what they really mean.

Re: Syvecs.....keep in touch with Syvecs themselves and Andy at Storm for when the ECU is ready for sale.
I'm going back soon for mine to be loaded with new calibrations.

Reactions: Wondering Soul
Yeah not to happy with the wishy/washy disclaimers.
But then I am fully aware of the risks involved.
My car has been thrashed for 15k in various levels of tune on a daily basis and it's running strong :)

Reactions: DAZMC, PanamaS3 and S3Alex
Yeah not to happy with the wishy/washy disclaimers.
But then I am fully aware of the risks involved.
My car has been thrashed for 15k in various levels of tune on a daily basis and it's running strong :)

This was kind of the same for me.

My car had been built up incrementally from Stg1 to Stg4 or whatever you want to call it,with each level being done properly.
We found that at 40k miles when the engine was being built,that the crank and cams were still within OEM tolerances,so we knew that 440lbs was perfectly safe.
Now,having gone a lot further,with the forged parts,and the top end build,the engine and block are still fine.

If a tuner isn't sure about something,or has reservations about long term reliability,then those points should be made obvious.
A few of us in the 8P section and on VAGOC know the history of early adopters Vs some of the claims made.
Erring on the side of strength and reliability is way better than building a grenade engine to a price.

Reactions: PanamaS3 and Wondering Soul