Need some help ?How to remove s3 8l turbo

oldcar

Reaction score
Guys,

I need some advice, did some research, all is to do with a4 turbos. S38L is in transverse location. Went to local meachinc, $900 to remove turbo and fit a new one on ....come on, you think I am rich??/ I want to try myself.

7 bolts and (4 more bolts)two lines, oil and water..it can not be too hard right.

I can see three bolts from top near firewall. How about the lower 4 bolts-exhaust??/Do you think I can just remove the bolts from the exhaust-not the one on turbo, but after the oem dump pipe that joins to twin cat. And drop the turbo with oem dump pipe??? Has anyone done it, please give some tip PLEASE...

Awesome, Tuffty. Thanks very much......

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a look yesterday, and realized to remove the 3 bolts from manifold /exhaust requires a "star" sockets. Does any one know where I can buy it and what size?/ Please

E14 socket... best bet is to let the bolts soak in penetration oil for a bit (plenty of WD40) then heat them up with a blow torch before attempting to undo them...

Be aware that most will be very very tight, and they have a tendency to round off and even shear...

Buy new OE bolts and gaskets (do not use anything else) and don't forget to replace all the water and oil banjo washers with new OE ones... you will also need a new OE oil drain gasket

<tuffty/>

:help:thanks Tuffty, I just ordered one from ebay. Would this be the same for the oem dump pipe?/Last question