Facelift Navigation on MMI

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I took delivery of my new 2.0 TDI-184 on 2 March and took it to Germany for a week's holiday on 5 March. Whilst there I tried out the Audi MMI Navigation system and compared it to my existing TomTom 6000 unit which I also had fitted. I must admit I found the touch-screen on TomTom much easier to use and enter places but the maps on the MMI were very good. I am now trying to decide which one to use from now on.

One question someone may be able to answer. How much do the map updates cost and do you have to have to have Audi Connect get all the POI's etc. I have looked on the Audi UK website but I cannot find any information at all.

Most of the POIs are built into the nav database, it's only "online POI" (essentially google search) that you need the Audi Connect for (Well that, and sending locations from PC to car).

No idea on the cost of updates though I'm afraid.

For what it's worth I'd always choose a built-in system over any 3rd party unit or phone, simply because I'd rather not have clutter mounted to my dashboard/windscreen. Even if it means a slightly more complicated/convoluted menu system.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and h5djr
I took delivery of my new 2.0 TDI-184 on 2 March and took it to Germany for a week's holiday on 5 March. Whilst there I tried out the Audi MMI Navigation system and compared it to my existing TomTom 6000 unit which I also had fitted. I must admit I found the touch-screen on TomTom much easier to use and enter places but the maps on the MMI were very good. I am now trying to decide which one to use from now on.

One question someone may be able to answer. How much do the map updates cost and do you have to have to have Audi Connect get all the POI's etc. I have looked on the Audi UK website but I cannot find any information at all.
I've just taken delivery of a new A4 on March 1. I've only just realised that as it's the SD card based system then you have to have Audi update it for you, which costs around £595 including a new SD card. Not sure if the FL 8V uses the same system. I think on the A4 if you have the technology pack then you can update the maps over the air.

I've also discovered that the A4 MMI doesn't like adding custom POI's, though there's some talk on German Audi forums that this is a problem with Audi's back end servers rather than the car itself.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Don't you get 5 free map updates?
only with tech pack/mmi plus or whatever it is called - no updates with the standard sd card based maps

I've just spoken to Audi CS and the young lady said that when the Audi Connect says the 3-month trial is coming to an end, ring them and they will be able to extend it for a year. She was not sure about the map updates but spoke to a 'technical' colleague who said the maps will be updated automatically via Audi Connect.

I got my a4 at the end of october last year and I haven't had to renew my internal sims licence, they still state 2019 as they always have. Yes you can update your local region maps through the mmi, as they are small downloads, but not automatically and if you wish to have the whole of europe then you are still better off downloading them to a sd card as they are 18gb..

I got my a4 at the end of october last year and I haven't had to renew my internal sims licence, they still state 2019 as they always have. Yes you can update your local region maps through the mmi, as they are small downloads, but not automatically and if you wish to have the whole of europe then you are still better off downloading them to a sd card as they are 18gb..
I'm not sure if your Audi Connect is different because you have the Technology Pack. Does it automatically include AC as part of the pack. According to the A3 Price List I should only have a 3 month trial but it seems Audi CS can extend this if you ask them!.

By the way, does anyone know how to completely switch OFF the navigation system. It keeps popping up when ever I turn on the ignition. I suppose I could take the Navigation SD card out of it socket. When I turn the ignition on I don't want anything to be set to work, no Radio or Media, no Phone and no Sat/Nav. If I do want any of them I will switch them on.

If you have sd card based navigation you will not get any map updates as far as I understand, the A4 doesn't and that has always been the case anyway. Apologies I thought you were talking as if you had the high pack, do you have a internal sim? My brochure and price list also stated there was a three month trial, as with other A4 owners, and some of them had to request the extension however, as with my car, it seems that this extension is now happening automatically. Surely to stop everything from popping up you just turn off the mmi..

If you have sd card based navigation you will not get any map updates as far as I understand, the A4 doesn't and that has always been the case anyway. Apologies I thought you were talking as if you had the high pack, do you have a internal sim? My brochure and price list also stated there was a three month trial, as with other A4 owners, and some of them had to request the extension however, as with my car, it seems that this extension is now happening automatically. Surely to stop everything from popping up you just turn off the mmi..
Yes Audi CS said the SD navigation system would get a 12 month extension to the Audi Connect. The system on my car does have a SIM card because I can set up a destination on my PC and send to the Navigation system on the car as well as access all sorts of other functions in the same way as my current SIM enabled TomTom 6000. The SIM data connection also provides up to date information about traffic and any delays, again in much the same way as the TomTom. The big advantage of the TomTom is the ability to add a speed camera database and for the unit to 'beep' as well as show the camera location on the screen.

You say about turning off the MMI, but how. I have pressed the OFF button which switches of the entertainment functions, Radio and Media and the DIS shows Entertainment Off but when I turn on the ignition again the Nav screen pops up. I shall have to have another read of the Owner's Manual.

Adding speed camera POI's has been done with the A4 MMI, but no bleep as far as I can remember. It is in here http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/speed-camera-poi.248853/
The speed camera data without the beep is not much good. I need a audible sound warning rather than staring at the navigation screen to know when I'm approaching a camera. I currently have two TomTom units, a 6000 model which gives traffic data and it allows me to set up routes etc on my PC and send them to the unit which I use when I need route guidance. The other smaller XL unit is in the car all the time and holds the Pocket GPS camera data base and gives the beeps for the speed cameras. Both are hard wired in to the cars electrics.

I am still going to try and look in more detail at the MMI Navigation possibly to replace the TT 6000 unit but at the moment I feel I need to go to evening classes to find out how it all works. The small TT will always stay in the car, just for the camera data.

Dave, if you keep to the speed limits, which I'm sure you do, why do you feel the need to have the speed camera data which, by the way, is illegal to use if you ever travel in France.

Reactions: glospete
Of course I always stick to the speed limits just as everyone else does in the UK but the camera database is very useful when your speed creeps up. As we seem to be a nation obsessed with speed cameras it is better to be safe that sorry. Personally I have only ever been caught once and that was by a hand-held camera rather than a fixed one. Now if they could get a camera to spot drivers using a mobile phone that would be getting somewhere towards a 'safety camera' as the authorities try to call them.

My TomTom unit warns me of 'danger' areas in France rather that speed cameras and is perfectly legal. It also warns about the very few speed cameras that exist in Germany where I spend most of my time when driving abroad. Perhaps because there a relatively few cameras in Germany and large areas of Autobahn with no speed limit at all is why they don't both having them on the Navigation system.

I'm certainly with you on the mobile phone issue, Dave, as this is an epidemic the authorities don't seem capable of stopping.