myAudi special destinations (POI)

Thought the whole idea of an sd card would be that data could be over written?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever tried to connect google earth to their google account?

Not sure if it's what you mean but I regularly use Google Maps to send destinations to the car? That uses your Google account + myAudi account.

had mine in service yesterday. they have told me that there is nothing wrong with special destinations. i have then demo'ed the issue to one of the mechanics who then asked me to bring the car in again today for fw flash.
been advised today that the update requires new sd card thats on back order.
i have collected the car and waiting for them to call me when the sd card becomes available.

i have an my17 sd based mmi with fw 0148
not really sure what they meant by saying that it requires new sd card. maybe new mmi fw requires new version of sd satnav?!

Interesting. On the Spanish Audi forum discussing the same issue I found they'd also talked about waiting on dealers to get SD cards but I put it down to Google Translate getting the wording wrong but obviously not.

Please keep us updated with how you get on.

Here's the link to Spanish forum I found discussing it if anyones interested: http://www.audisport-iberica.com/foro/topic/357367-descargar-poi/page-15

I picked up my car today, had asked dealer to ensure latest software version was on.....it is on 0170 (SD based Nav and no Tech pack) and tried to upload the speed cameras and got the attached error. Anyone got any ideas on this one?

Attachments

• IMG_20170301_182417.JPG
    IMG_20170301_182417.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 375
I picked up my car today, had asked dealer to ensure latest software version was on.....it is on 0170 (SD based Nav and no Tech pack) and tried to upload the speed cameras and got the attached error. Anyone got any ideas on this one?

I'm pretty sure that's the exact same error I got using version 0148 that my car has.

I did another quick Google search and found a German site where someone else was talking about being on version 0170 and the 0159 version was also mentioned. So not sure what Audi are doing...

Here's the Google translate of the site. Not the best translation but you can get the general gist of it:

https://translate.googleusercontent...LkJrhhUZhz6Pm_tpUWw8yT2Xw8-BYc4aA#post2627659

This is a real pain, without this I will still have to use my Tomtom! I have emailed the dealer as I think the more people that contact the more likely this is to get some attention.

I'm pretty sure that's the exact same error I got using version 0148 that my car has.

I did another quick Google search and found a German site where someone else was talking about being on version 0170 and the 0159 version was also mentioned. So not sure what Audi are doing...

Here's the Google translate of the site. Not the best translation but you can get the general gist of it:

https://translate.googleusercontent...LkJrhhUZhz6Pm_tpUWw8yT2Xw8-BYc4aA#post2627659
I collected my a4 at the end of october, so I should have the same firmware, however poi load into my mmi ok..

I collected my a4 at the end of october, so I should have the same firmware, however poi load into my mmi ok..

Don't you have the Tech Pack MMI @cuke2u though? I think the majority of us with the issue (although maybe not everyone) have the basic SD card Nav MMI. I'm assuming your therefore have a different firmware version or at least it's not the same as us basic MMI folk...

I've got the Tech Pack MMI and have the same issue, my firmware is 0917. It would seem those on an earlier firmware version do not suffer with this problem.

Don't you have the Tech Pack MMI @cuke2u though? I think the majority of us with the issue (although maybe not everyone) have the basic SD card Nav MMI. I'm assuming your therefore have a different firmware version or at least it's not the same as us basic MMI folk...
You are probably correct there, missed that bit, sorry...

Does the "send to vehicle" option only appear on my Audi if you have the techpack?

If so, what do I need to install to get the download option to work?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

According to motor-talk.de these issues are caused by a software glitch on Audi's backend servers. Rumour has it a software update is planned for April - watch this space.

Reactions: Migwire
Cool, that would be great if that's all it takes and avoids the need to get the MMI version updated.

I wonder if the fix applies to both the issues with the "Send to Car" option on MyAudi and also uploading via the SD card (which is the only route available to us with the standard MMI)....

Reading between the lines it looks like Audi have changed the way some of their servers construct the POI files. This is why it works for some and not others. What we need is a software wizard to compare the working and non-working files to highlight the difference.

That doesn't really explain why it works ok sometime with mine and sometimes not with the same POI file...

Hmm. This is a guess, but I think that the VINs are pointed at particular servers. In your case I would hazard a guess that your first choice server is busy and you get redirected to a dodgy server.

I can't think why this would require multiple servers though, I would have thought it's not bandwidth, cpu or memory hungry. How many users must there be trying to upload POI's at any given time?

Good point. Perhaps they've not dimensioned enough bandwidth, cpu and memory or they're using the servers for things other than POIs. They might only have primary servers and when that's not working you get redirected to another primary server.

As I said I'm only guessing.

Yeah what do we know being humble earthlings ;-) I really hope that they aren't running multiple tasks on single servers though, nightmare for security I would have thought...

had mine in service yesterday. they have told me that there is nothing wrong with special destinations. i have then demo'ed the issue to one of the mechanics who then asked me to bring the car in again today for fw flash.
been advised today that the update requires new sd card thats on back order.
i have collected the car and waiting for them to call me when the sd card becomes available.

i have an my17 sd based mmi with fw 0148
not really sure what they meant by saying that it requires new sd card. maybe new mmi fw requires new version of sd satnav?!

Any update yet @bpnike or still waiting on them to get the sd card?

In March I posted that Audi were upgrading their back end servers in early April to fix the issue that many are suffering from when downloading special destinations. Today I successfully loaded special destinations onto my car, both SD card and OTA worked.

Reactions: mjcourtney and cuke2u
I will have to have a try later to see if it works for my non tech pack car

Yes I think we need to see this consistently working before we judge it fixed. As it has been found to work one minute then not the next in the past...

It's a step in the right direction for me, as this has never worked since I got the car in November.

Reactions: cuke2u
In March I posted that Audi were upgrading their back end servers in early April to fix the issue that many are suffering from when downloading special destinations. Today I successfully loaded special destinations onto my car, both SD card and OTA worked.
It's a step in the right direction for me, as this has never worked since I got the car in November.

Like you, loading special destinations has never worked since I got my car (a Q2) in November, and this server upgrade hasn't fixed it for me. I'm now pretty sure this is because my model has SD card based satnav, not the HD based system you get with the tech pack. I've never got a clear statement to this effect from Audi or my dealer, and the manual says the procedure "applies to vehicles with navigation system" without further qualification. What's more, all the relevant MMI menu options are enabled and the data load seems to start OK, but it fails with the error message "The update data are not compatible or are outdated". I've tried this with various POI data sources and file formats, and using online transfer as well as SD card, always with the same result.

The critical question for me is:- has anyone with SD card based navigation got myAudi Special Destinations working, either by online transfer or import by SD card?

Last edited:

Have you made any progress with this? See my post #230.

Have you made any progress with this? See my post #230.

I tried for the POIs I had already loaded to My Audi and still won't work. I am going to delete them and start from scratch to see if that makes any difference.

Like you, loading special destinations has never worked since I got my car (a Q2) in November, and this server upgrade hasn't fixed it for me. I'm now pretty sure this is because my model has SD card based satnav, not the HD based system you get with the tech pack. I've never got a clear statement to this effect from Audi or my dealer, and the manual says the procedure "applies to vehicles with navigation system" without further qualification. What's more, all the relevant MMI menu options are enabled and the data load seems to start OK, but it fails with the error message "The update data are not compatible or are outdated". I've tried this with various POI data sources and file formats, and using online transfer as well as SD card, always with the same result.

The critical question for me is:- has anyone with SD card based navigation got myAudi Special Destinations working, either by online transfer or import by SD card?
See post #169

Personally I can't see how it will work with sd based navigation, there is no internal memory like the tech pack has, and you cannot write to the sd card..

I have followed this thread since last week when i got my 2017 A5 sportsback (not tech pack!) and had difficulty transferring the speed cam POI. I have had same errors as others members in this thread both with SD card: IFU states to use SD card with atleast 2gb but mine is just below 1 gb. not that it matters because the OTA gives the same error of "...outdated or not compatible"! Even tried again this morning but no joy and so called dealer and booked car in for check/service just for this issue. From the look of things, this should work but it does not! My firmware version is v.0170.

SD Card Nav here and still not working.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SD Card Nav here and still not working.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tried it again today and same for me as well....still fails with same error as before.

Although interestingly I did see that on the MyAudi website under myAudi Special Destinations I now have a new button for "Send to Vehicle" that wasn't there before. As I understood things it was always there for Tech Pack owners but not those with the SD Card Nav. Anyway I tried clicking it but after a bit of processing it returns a page not found error for me.

However what's stranger is I can now go into the System update setting in the MMI and as well as the SD card update option I now also have Online update available. So tried that and somehow it seemed to work and find a file with my myAudi special destinations. So proceeded to download it which seemed to be working and then got a file download error right at the end....ahhhhhhh :sob: Can only assume it must still effectively be the same error I get with the SD Card update method although it wasn't the same error message.....

I guess it can try to download it ok but fails at the part where it tries to write to anywhere...

I guess it can try to download it ok but fails at the part where it tries to write to anywhere...

Yep could be that too. Although it must have somewhere to write these to as its worked ok for other owners of the SD Card Nav - see post #169. Although they did have to get the different MMI version for SD Nav....

i had the option to send poi to car when i first tried it few months ago but that option is no longer available. the online update on my mmi is unavailable and it fails from usb

supposed to have my sd card updated by audi watford but they have completely ignored me (not for the first time)

i give up on this