my first my fault bump

ajmackie

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
bloomin sony stereo, it's all its fault!!! Driving along and quality tune comes on the radio so turn it up...

well my radio had been intermittently cutting out speakers for the last 2 months now and so i pulled the radio out as i was driving to waggle the wires. ended up not looking where i was going, got to a junction and didn't realise the guy slowed down / stopped, so went into the back of him. only doing about 5mph. they said they were okay and that i was lucky i had only hit a 15 year old passatt. their bumper is pushed down / in a bit, so may end up paying for that, pr they may not bother as they didn't seem too bothered.

BUT ... where do i stand with regards to whiplash? can they claim off me at 5mph? don't think they would, but they could see an advert! would the insurance company let me know if someone filed a claim? oh the worry!!

My solid audi didn't even have so much as a scratch! pain it teeny weeny bit dented on front bumper, but not bothered as need to get it resprayed again (some t!t scraped it in a car park just after i had it sprayed).

I think they can make a claim up to three years after the incident, but seeing as they didnt call the police and there werent any witness's then who knows.....

Hopefully they were one of the few last honest people around....

i really hope so!!! my bro said that have to call the police if someone was hurt at the scene, but can't it develop a month or year later? so hope they don't have a TV or radio or newspaper, lol!!!

No whip lash usually happens within a few hours off the accident and its usually at speeds of 15mph and above which causes it so if you were only travelling at 5mph mate then i would not worry. If they do try anything i would just deny everything and say nothing and you wont be done for it....at the end of the day its their word against yours. I know this seems wrong and i wouldnt normally condone this as i myself had this done to me which extremely p!ssed me off but at the end of the day no damage and no worries on your behalf. You'll be ok mate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Ajmackie,

I did exactly the same thing on a roundabout to a micra when I was driving my Polo. The Micra had a big Polo shaped dent in the back, and my Polo came away without a scratch!

The only thing that really hurt was the £1,500 bill for fixing the Micra (I really did not think it would be that much!)

Then did the same thing again (yeah, I know, twice is just stupid) in my Polo... hit a Peugoet, but this time damage was much more extensive (was probably doing about 20 mph), it wasn't enough force for the airbag to pop out... but it felt like driving into a brick wall... horrible, and your heart just sinks. Still no claim for whiplash there either... so 2 out of 2 times is not bad. I think you should be okay mate... just a bit of a ****** for your insurance premium (unless you're protected?).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

AJ

From your post im assuming your gonna pay cash and not claim on insurance? If so be aware that your insurance company will have a period in which if not notified of an accident then will not cover you for it- directline iirc is 3 months.

So if you don`t notify your insurance and the other party get greedy then remember average payout for whiplash is around a grand! ouch!

If I was in your shoes id pay cash and not have posted on a forum under your own name just incase, then if they did get greedy bearing in mind under 5mph and obviusly liars i would dispute everything!

[ QUOTE ]
that way they can not suddenly calim W/L as they have not reported it to the insurance company within 24hrs or whate ever it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

na-ah. Their own insurance company may not get involved but legally they are fine and can go to any solicitor/no wins no claim etc kinda people and able to claim. All they need is proof the accident happened and the other parties details etc

But AJ don`t get stressed- very unlikely from what your saying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

By proof does that not mean that they have to claim and report it to their insurer?

cheers for all the comments guys! i'm going to do the repairs if they ring up, but with a disclaimer to sign ie stop 3rd party companies etc!
there were 2 in his and 1 in mine. no witnesses.
i think they seemed pretty cool about it, will ring them next week to check.
very unlucky markey, 4x4 are a biatch unless you own one!

called directline to check! i don't need to tell them if it is settled outside of insurance.
the only thing they said was that if they'r not happy with the repairs it is no longer their fault.
as far as whiplash, they can claim and i will never know until they claim and they then contact me. so if i make that disclaimer to stop that 3rd party thing i should be fine.

cheers to everyone who has helped!

also bought a standard concert radio again! ripped the old one up removing it. was only £40+vat from car transplants with a 28 day warranty! very pleased having the standard radio back. a lot more bass and depth to the music using the standard amp as opposed to the sony which only kicked in at higher volumes. the warranty will cover me against the volume issue thing too.

woohoo all done and dusted!
cost me £40 to repair his bumper and he's signed the waiver thingy! Am very pleased and he was probably the nices guy to go into the back of as was very pleasant and had a chat with him for half an hour!

am so pleased, could have seen this ruining my renewals but not now!!! thanks everyone for the help!

Excellent result I'd say!!!! Can I come to you if I have any bumps in the future... obviously you have the magic touch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

lol!! it's him you need to bump into!!!
when he rung me he said "i've sorted the bumper out, how much do you think it's cost" ... i had been sh1tting it all day waiting for his phone call and when he said that i though oh bother! So I causually said £50? He said you must be joking me! I thought oh no it's costing me £200 or more!!! Then he said it cost him £40 and i was over the moon!!
very nice guy and gal! they didn't want to keep the car much longer so just got it repaired instead of fitting brand new everything. i'm so lucky i bumped someone who is honest and not bothered about claims direct.

a load off my mind!!! now i can buy my changer etc with the money left over !!!!

and the moral of this story............
dont install / repair stereo's whilst driving.

hapyy days mate.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif