My first impressions on of my new RS3

S3 AD

Reaction score
I took my last drive in my 8p RS3 on Thursday, this was to Newbury Audi to swap it for my new 8v RS3.

I was told by the salesman that I got very lucky with my delivery date. I know others have seen there’s slip, but for a reason that no one seems to be able to explain mine came forward from when it was initially ordered.

I thought I would share my first impressions. I was always a big fan of my 8p, I know it was far from a perfect car but I really enjoyed 2 years, 363 days and covering just over 33k miles in it. That’s why I ordered the 8v without getting to drive it first.

The biggest difference is obviously the interior and the step up in technology with lots more techie bits to configure and play with, this will take some time to get used to but initially everything seems easy enough to use, well laid out and intuitive.

I ordered the sports exhaust, and despite listening to video’s online of the sound, it really made me laugh out loud the first time it started :) a very loud growl. I had removed the secondary cats on my 8p, but the sound never came close to being as impressive as the 8v. In comfort mode just pottering about though, it is hardly noticeable in the car, even on a motorway drive in comfort it is not intrusive at all. All that changes in Dynamic mode though. I haven’t pushed it too hard yet but it pops, crackles, gurgles and barks very impressively for a car straight from the factory with no modifications. I am still tempted to remove the secondary cats again when someone produces the parts though :)

Another thing that really surprised me is the LED head lights. The range and colour when it is dark seriously impressive. When full beam is on the way the cats eyes on a twisting road light up so far in the distance is like something out of a computer game.

I am also glad I ordered the SS seats, they are a little more supportive than the standard seats in my 8p, and look a lot better. I have found a slightly more comfortable driving position with them than I did in the 8p (not that it was uncomfortable in the 8p), they don’t quite offer the support of the old style buckets but are more comfortable. I am 5’8 and have the seat set as low as it will go, this to me feels a tiny bit lower than the 8p, I can imagine taller drivers wanting them to go lower still though.

A couple of things I don’t like though:
1)Poxy, stupid, ridiculous stop start, so far every journey I forgotten to turn it off until I stop and it feels like the engine has stalled. I hate it – I wish it was off as default and could be turned on if it was ever wanted, I really hope some clever person/company out there finds a way to permanently disable this stupid function.
2) I agree with lots of comments I have seen about the wheels not being good enough, I have the titanium option and am already thinking about what I can change them to.
3)While the front brakes (calliper’s and wavy disks) look great, the rear calliper’s look half made – most of the back of the pad is on display, as are the wires and clips holding the pads in, they could really do with some kind of cover or something.
4) The car seems to sit a little high, it seems like the front spoiler is a long way off the ground and the gap between tyre and wheel arch front and back needs to be reduced by at least 25mm. The gap is defiantly larger than on the 8p.

There are a couple of things I have seen discussed on here and other forums that I hope I can clear up for others that are looking forward to delivery:
1) Yes the key now has an RS logo on it.
2) The sports exhaust has chrome tips not black and is defiantly worth speccing.
3)The Pano roof doesn’t leak (that has been well tested this week end in the summer monsoons) and mine doesn’t squeak or rattle.
4) Mag ride is worth speccing, comfort is more relaxing and comfortable than the 8p and dynamic doesn’t rattle the fillings out of your mouth but seems to tighten up body control nicely.

I know going from an 8p to a 8v is an expensive upgrade, but to me, its money well spent. After a couple of hours in the 8v I had my expectations more than met. I am certainly not bashing the 8p, I loved mine, but the game has defiantly been moved on by the 8v. This is all my opinion, I am sure some will disagree, but I don’t care :) For all of you waiting for orders – The wait will be worth it!

Reactions: Nimbus265, DAYTONA 500, Foxtrot_Oscar and 6 others
Great read, patiently waiting for mine to arrive! I am sure that the stop start function can probably be turned off through VCDS somehow. My wife has it in her golf and I hate it! The other day it just randomly cut out while I was manouvering in a car park!

First thing I will be looking for is lowering springs and spacers when I take delivery

I disabled it with VCDS in my S3, pretty sure it will be the same.

The dual clutch transmission is really good, amazing in fact. I agree the sound is good, but you can't switch the sound down when in sport mode, which gets a bit annoying.

The stop start will annoy you less and less - you will get in and it is just one of the things you switch off after the start button, and it's just habit.

I think for an every day hatch car you can do most things in, it's one of the best. I didn't enjoy the driving enough though to make me choose it for it's driving.

The wheels - some concaving would have helped - if only they just made the wheel arches even wider up front and they haven't even changed the rears. Something more special inside would help too. (transmission aside) it feels too normal to me, but also a sign of how good the A3 is.

The dual clutch transmission is really good, amazing in fact. I agree the sound is good, but you can't switch the sound down when in sport mode, which gets a bit annoying.

That's what non sport mode is for ;) plus why would you want to turn it down? Sounds ****** amazing!

TX.

Sure, sometimes you just want to drive fast and not alert the missus you're in sport mode ;)

Tbf when I drove it the speed was no different in non sport mode, it just got louder when I tipped the lever back ;)

TX.

So if you have the car in comfort mode, and decide to overtake or just go faster for a specific part of your journey, you would nudge the stick down into sport, where the car stays in comfort mode but makes gearing and gearbox more responsive, but the noise kicks in also - just annoying.

to be honest - I think the 5 cyl block sounds more authentic than the RS6 / RS7 with sports exhaust which is just too artificial

I took my last drive in my 8p RS3 on Thursday, this was to Newbury Audi to swap it for my new 8v RS3.

I was told by the salesman that I got very lucky with my delivery date. I know others have seen there’s slip, but for a reason that no one seems to be able to explain mine came forward from when it was initially ordered.

I thought I would share my first impressions. I was always a big fan of my 8p, I know it was far from a perfect car but I really enjoyed 2 years, 363 days and covering just over 33k miles in it. That’s why I ordered the 8v without getting to drive it first.

The biggest difference is obviously the interior and the step up in technology with lots more techie bits to configure and play with, this will take some time to get used to but initially everything seems easy enough to use, well laid out and intuitive.

I ordered the sports exhaust, and despite listening to video’s online of the sound, it really made me laugh out loud the first time it started :) a very loud growl. I had removed the secondary cats on my 8p, but the sound never came close to being as impressive as the 8v. In comfort mode just pottering about though, it is hardly noticeable in the car, even on a motorway drive in comfort it is not intrusive at all. All that changes in Dynamic mode though. I haven’t pushed it too hard yet but it pops, crackles, gurgles and barks very impressively for a car straight from the factory with no modifications. I am still tempted to remove the secondary cats again when someone produces the parts though :)

Another thing that really surprised me is the LED head lights. The range and colour when it is dark seriously impressive. When full beam is on the way the cats eyes on a twisting road light up so far in the distance is like something out of a computer game.

I am also glad I ordered the SS seats, they are a little more supportive than the standard seats in my 8p, and look a lot better. I have found a slightly more comfortable driving position with them than I did in the 8p (not that it was uncomfortable in the 8p), they don’t quite offer the support of the old style buckets but are more comfortable. I am 5’8 and have the seat set as low as it will go, this to me feels a tiny bit lower than the 8p, I can imagine taller drivers wanting them to go lower still though.

1)Poxy, stupid, ridiculous stop start, so far every journey I forgotten to turn it off until I stop and it feels like the engine has stalled. I hate it – I wish it was off as default and could be turned on if it was ever wanted, I really hope some clever person/company out there finds a way to permanently disable this stupid function.
2) I agree with lots of comments I have seen about the wheels not being good enough, I have the titanium option and am already thinking about what I can change them to.
3)While the front brakes (calliper’s and wavy disks) look great, the rear calliper’s look half made – most of the back of the pad is on display, as are the wires and clips holding the pads in, they could really do with some kind of cover or something.
4) The car seems to sit a little high, it seems like the front spoiler is a long way off the ground and the gap between tyre and wheel arch front and back needs to be reduced by at least 25mm. The gap is defiantly larger than on the 8p.

There are a couple of things I have seen discussed on here and other forums that I hope I can clear up for others that are looking forward to delivery:
2) The sports exhaust has chrome tips not black and is defiantly worth speccing.
3)The Pano roof doesn’t leak (that has been well tested this week end in the summer monsoons) and mine doesn’t squeak or rattle.
4) Mag ride is worth speccing, comfort is more relaxing and comfortable than the 8p and dynamic doesn’t rattle the fillings out of your mouth but seems to tighten up body control nicely.

I know going from an 8p to a 8v is an expensive upgrade, but to me, its money well spent. After a couple of hours in the 8v I had my expectations more than met. I am certainly not bashing the 8p, I loved mine, but the game has defiantly been moved on by the 8v. This is all my opinion, I am sure some will disagree, but I don’t care :) For all of you waiting for orders – The wait will be worth it!
Jealous as hell, as mine was also ordered from Newbury- but chuffed bits for you as well.

Congratulations mate pics?

I got some quick pics that I can post up but they aren't that good - I had about 3 hours driving round with the roof open before the monsoons kicked in, it didn't stop me driving around but did stop me wanting to stand around tacking pics, it now needs it first clean already

I got some quick pics that I can post up but they aren't that good - I had about 3 hours driving round with the roof open before the monsoons kicked in, it didn't stop me driving around but did stop me wanting to stand around tacking pics, it now needs it first clean already

Attachments

• rs1.png
    rs1.png
    42 KB · Views: 491
  • rs2.png
    rs2.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 508
  • rs3.png
    rs3.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 502
Reactions: RYuill and Nimbus265