My car is very ill anyone have any ideas?

martin458

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have an A4 cab 2005 55 plated car which has decided to end its life or so it seems. I have an electrical problem which makes the alarm go off even when driving
-interior lights don't work
-key fob doesn't work
-headlights sometimes work
-wipers sometimes work
-dash lights flicker.
-The windows won't work
-hood also won't work.
The dash tells me the the soft top cannot be used. If I check the boot and fold up the extra storage space the dash tells it cannot be used as luggage compartment is not down. So at least that bit works!
The car starts and drives fine

I had this sometime before but just the windows and flickering dash lights. I check the loom between the door and car and for some reason it all worked after I touched it.
So I checked this again thinking surely that can't be the reason for all the problems?
I found one yellow and green wire snapped so I soldered it back together but this time no fix :(
It had a lot of moister inside the rubber by the wiresand it had been raining/sleet/hail/snow that day it all went wrong.
So I figure it's got went and gone haywire
I want to sell the car but can't do it in this state!
I also don't want to spend any more money on it which I know sounds daft but really can't afford it . I would love to click my fingers have a little cash in my pocket and have sold the car.
Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Martin

Have you tried scanning for error codes? You could have a wiring problem which has perhaps knackered one of more of the control modules. There's a central convenience and a comfort module which I think (from memory) the above functions are driven from. Scan would be the best place to start and see what error codes it comes up with

Is your front passenger floor wet/damp??

Hi thanks the passenger door doesn't seem to be wet but very cold!
It could have been wet I suppose
Will try and get someone to scan it. Anyone in the Torbay fancy helping me out? I really have no spare money at the moment and as I said would like to sell if possible.

Thanks for the replies any other ideas or similar problems let me know
Martin

I'd be looking under the carpet to see if the convenience module is damp/corroded as its a common fault to happen.

I thought issue with the bulk head getting blocked with leaves and flooding the passenger side footwell was just a B5 problem.

I had the same issue on my B5 1.8T a few years ago now and it was exactly that. Leaves clogged up behind the battery and water over flowed into the footwell.

Caused the same sort of problem as you are having as well as an intermittent alarm which was just a nightmare

Thanks I'll check the battery and the floor properly
I have a friend who's going to scan it on Monday for me so some good news until he tells there's not enough paper in the world to print all the errors out!

also I'm pretty sure the alarm going off is my neighbours favourite noise right now.
Or the fact when I were driving it down the road with no ID OR WALLET and the police stopped me as the alarm was going off...... Great days

ill go with the ccm been wet

and maybe the wires broke between drivers door and pillar