MTM -worth the extra money. other options?

Aky

Aky
Reaction score
In a bit of a dilemma at the moment. :sos: I've purchased an S3 225, pick it up shortly and 1st thing is to get it remaped & Milltek. I've got Revo & milltek on a TDI golf and I'm very pleased with the combo - apart from new clutch. I'm getting a feel for what is out there so been ringing around for a few quotes for the remap amongst a few other mods. Most companies are about the same apart from MTM which is a good £100 more!! Basically is it worth it?
So far Ive looked at:
Revo
DPM
APR
AMD
MTM

I'm trying to make a decision not just on price as I beleive you get what you pay for, but on driveability i.e acceleration, boosting tailing off, flat spots etc & to some extent customer service. I know Revo packs a punch & is quite aggresive but wouldn't mind getting views from "the drivers". So if any of you are running the above or any that I have missed that you would recommend and would spend a little time airing your views then you would be helping out a friend in need.

Thanks again

Matt

Well, IMHO Revo is the best choice. On cars like the S3, the option to go REVO Stage 2 and the SPS3 means the owner can tweak their own map to accomodate every mod you can make short of a bigger turbo. Plus the map can be turned on and off.

Simple really, make REVO your first mod then as you add more effective breathing and better charge cooling you can wind up the timing and boost and ultimately completely alter the characteristics of map to hold boost even longer (stage 2).

Not many other maps allow you this flexability. To get the best from a (ahem) 'custom' remap you'll need all the mods in place before it's mapped. If you want to do that then the 'custom' map may well ultimately produce more power than Revo but you are commiting yourself to a large capital investment before you'll get the power.

I've got the AMD custom remap and MTM uprated clutch and that's it. I've been delighted with it. The difference it makes over a standard car is well worth the money, even with the extra grand for the clutch.

I have absolutely no desire to do other performance mods, the remap is all I need. Nice.

Jabbasport. Such noce guys, know their stuff and really take a lot of time on the rollers dialing your car in.

IMO, if its the same price for revo off the shelf stuff and a custom RR session and map, (takes three hours or so) then I'd have the roller job anyday. not only should the map be exactly suited to your particular car, they can check for so many other things when doing it! They even clean your maf for you!

They really put the effort in and are just such nice guys too. Plenty of time to go out and try some of their big turbo demos too!!:) IMO well worth a visit and a chat.

I have the revo map on my car at the moment! it was on the car when i bought it! However, im not totally happy with it! To me it doesnt seem to be working to its best potetial!

When i give it some beans i can feels the boost tail off after 4500-5000rpm dependant on what gesar im in! Now before anyone says ive got a samco tip so its not the standard one caving in! Im thinking of going to get the satge 2 remap done at the cost of £50 and see if that helps at all! ive been told it should pull all the way up to the redline if done properly!

Booth_S3 said:
I have the revo map on my car at the moment! it was on the car when i bought it! However, im not totally happy with it! To me it doesnt seem to be working to its best potetial!

When i give it some beans i can feels the boost tail off after 4500-5000rpm dependant on what gesar im in! Now before anyone says ive got a samco tip so its not the standard one caving in! Im thinking of going to get the satge 2 remap done at the cost of £50 and see if that helps at all! ive been told it should pull all the way up to the redline if done properly!

Without a decent intake, high-flow CAT's and a FMIC i don't think Stage 2 will solve your problems. It's not you TIP collapsing. If you have access to a laptop, VAG-COM and an SPS3 then many things can be done to alter your map. All depends on money though ;)

what would be classed as "decent intake" as i was told the s3 was best to be left with the standard filter! FMIC will be done when corey works out some prices, as for highflow cats from what ESS_THREE and a few others have said they didnt really make much difference and for the money they are, that would seem like a waste!

Choose what to heed what advice you will :)

Don't want to take this chaps thread off topic.

I'm appreciating all your comments guys - keep them coming!! Just spoken to JBS about their remaps, think a phone call to Jabba would be a good idea. Think i'm going to stay away from Revo for the sake of the "punch" don't really want to have to put another clutch in. Others seem pretty confident the S3 will not need an uprated clutch

Thanks again & keep the info coming, afterall the more info on this thread, the better it will be for future remap enquiries

:thumbsup: Matt

Aky said:
don't really want to have to put another clutch in. Others seem pretty confident the S3 will not need an uprated clutch

Those that are confident it won't need an uprated clutch are probably those who didn't have problems!

From reading this forum for 2.5 years I reckon around 25% of remapped S3s end up needing a new clutch. Like I did.

You just need to be prepared that it MIGHT happen. I doubt the type of remap makes any difference. It's more likely down to how much wear and tear the existing standard clutch has already taken.

Big turbo, standard clutch, no problems! Standard item should be good for about 300-330lbs-ft of torque, and I strongly doubt you'll get anywhere near that on a remap alone.

In terms of remaps, you've already mentioned the usual suspects and I don't think you'd be unhappy with any of them. Might be best going for the one closest to your house. One thing to remember is that if you go for a spiked boost remap like those possible with a Revo SPS3, or the MTM maps, the car will feel like it's run out of puff at the top end. I wanted a more progressive remap when I first had mine done, and the Star Performace remap (O.CT or now GIAC) was perfect. They just won the Audi Driver Tuner of the Year, so they know what they're doing :)

ChriS3 said:
Big turbo, standard clutch, no problems! Standard item should be good for about 300-330lbs-ft of torque, and I strongly doubt you'll get anywhere near that on a remap alone.

In terms of remaps, you've already mentioned the usual suspects and I don't think you'd be unhappy with any of them. Might be best going for the one closest to your house. One thing to remember is that if you go for a spiked boost remap like those possible with a Revo SPS3, or the MTM maps, the car will feel like it's run out of puff at the top end. I wanted a more progressive remap when I first had mine done, and the Star Performace remap (O.CT or now GIAC) was perfect. They just won the Audi Driver Tuner of the Year, so they know what they're doing :)

Ah that explains why i said what i did in my above post! so there is nothing wrong with my remap, thats just the way that that kind work! cheers Chris!

Booth_S3 said:
what would be classed as "decent intake" as i was told the s3 was best to be left with the standard filter! FMIC will be done when corey works out some prices, as for highflow cats from what ESS_THREE and a few others have said they didnt really make much difference and for the money they are, that would seem like a waste!

Decent Intake - that would be the one that comes as standard from Audi ;)

FMIC - Nice but not necessary on a remapped S3. Might even introduce a pressure drop and give you less performance. Only worth it if you live in a hot place or track the car a lot.

High Flow Cats - Gives a nice pop between gear changes.

so are you using a standard airbox on your car chris!?

So would you recommend getting FMIC and high flow cats or not?

Std airbox and paper filter will flow over 400hp you know...!!!

to look for the restrictions on a K 03 or K04 equipped car, look no further than the turbo itself!!

Booth_S3 said:
so are you using a standard airbox on your car chris!?

So would you recommend getting FMIC and high flow cats or not?

I would happily use the standard airbox, but unfortunately I have a custom 3" TIP, and an RS4 MAF and MAF housing, so the only thing that would fit is the ATP induction kit. Part of the plans for next year is to relocate the battery to the boot, chuck on a 90° silicone bend and get the BMC CDA on.

I put on an FMIC only because I knew the BT would follow soon enough and I'd need it. Didn't make any noticable difference, even on a spirited country run. Only time I was grateful for it was on the 1/4 mile at inters and driving around Knockhill - neither of which I do very often.

Again, I'm being hypocritical because I have the high-flow cats, but I found they made no difference. The only reason I put them on was because of the BT. The standard cats would get fried soon enough so I thought it best to put them on. Dyno run before I put them on was at 333bhp, afterwards it was 327bhp. Now that might easily have been down to the weather on the day, but I certainly wouldn't say they gave me an improvement.

simch said:
Std airbox and paper filter will flow over 400hp you know...!!!

to look for the restrictions on a K 03 or K04 equipped car, look no further than the turbo itself!!

Bingo!! Wow, for once someone isn't blaming the manifold :lmfao:

No the manifold doesn't restric anything, ......well, not once its cracked and leaking anyway!! hahahaha!

i ve already planned to pay a visit to Jabba 280bhp i hear/read

Also consider custom code - I have this on my S3 and can't fault it. Very progressive map without a boost spike and pulls right up to the redline.

Just thought I'd confuse matters!

I was going to say make sure you go to a tuner with a Rolling Road but as long as they responsible enough to assess the car's health before and after by logging parameters i.e. timing etc on the go then i'd be happy.

Don't be lured by the claimed bhp figures, and for gods sake dont use a bulls knacker like slipstream deutch or any of the carpark laptop brigade

chipped-uk were recommended to me by someone on these forums.
After having a word with them I think i might be going there before christmas if i can get the money sorted.

They said around £300 for a custom rolling road remap. Increase of around 40-50bhp. Sounds like a lot of a bhp for the money.

But ive not seen as many recommendations for them as i have for tuners like AMD, Jabbasport and REVO. But thats probably be why they can command a higher price.

Well after a few weeks of pulling my hair out and getting confused over each remapping company's offerings I've decided to go with Custom Code, for the simple reason I've been told it pulls the whole way to the redline, and because it has slightly lower torque thus saving the clutch trying to put the power down to the wheels. Do you think i've done the right thing? I had Revo on my previous car and although it is excellent software the torque steer was crazy & it tailed off too quickly.
Any comments appreciated - If anyone is running CC at the moment and would like to give their comments it would be appreciated.
I'll update you when I know more i.e. Thursday night!

Aky said:
Well after a few weeks of pulling my hair out and getting confused over each remapping company's offerings I've decided to go with Custom Code, for the simple reason I've been told it pulls the whole way to the redline, and because it has slightly lower torque thus saving the clutch trying to put the power down to the wheels. Do you think i've done the right thing? I had Revo on my previous car and although it is excellent software the torque steer was crazy & it tailed off too quickly.
Any comments appreciated - If anyone is running CC at the moment and would like to give their comments it would be appreciated.
I'll update you when I know more i.e. Thursday night!

I've had custom code on my S3 for 4 months and about 7000 miles now and really love it. Very linear and doesn't run out of puff. No probs at all with the map or the clutch. Highly recommended.

Regards,

B.

Have you tried the software that is downloadable from the CC website - It is supposed to be installed onto a laptop then you can tweek settings a bit like Revo

Aky said:
Have you tried the software that is downloadable from the CC website - It is supposed to be installed onto a laptop then you can tweek settings a bit like Revo

No - sorry can't comment.