Mtec disc & Mintex pads

antowens

Car Nut
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am needing abit of help with discs and pads i am looking to invest in some drilled and grooved discs

I was told grooved disc can create uneven wear and also like a judder feeling under breaking and i am best going for just drilled

Can anyone point me in the right direction due to past experience so on

i have found Mtec and they seem to be quite good coupled with the Mintex pads i only do driving round town motorways

Any help greatly appreciated as always

thanks

Anthony

I live beside mtec and used the on old b7 they where great upgrade and easy to deal with. My front pads started squeelling after about 1000 miles they replace for new ones free of charge

Reactions: antowens
I live beside mtec and used the on old b7 they where great upgrade and easy to deal with. My front pads started squeelling after about 1000 miles they replace for new ones free of charge

What pads did you have with the Mtec discs ?
I have read that Mintex pads are just like a budget brand pad

I have used mintex pads in the past, tbh they were rubbish, the OEM pads seem to be as good as any imo

Reactions: simboti19 and antowens
The problem with drilled discs is they have a habit of creating cracks in the disc and really aren't that necessary even on a track day car. I have tried grooved discs and found them to be noisy, and they also do a good job of planing the surface of the pad which is what they are meant to do meaning the wheels get loads of dust on them and the pads don't last as long.
I would spend the money on decent pads, normal road going pads of whatever make don't like repeated heavy braking and whether you have drilled and grooved discs or plain ones they will fade the same.
I find a good road going pad is the Redstuff compound from EBC. I used to have normal Mintex pads on my car and found that after 2 or 3 fast stops you would get judder on the brakes, this is due to pad pick up as the pad is outside it's operating temperature range.
I haven't got the Redstuff pads to do this yet, They are the same discs I had on before but with the Redstuff pads.
This is on the S4 brakes I upgraded the car to. So 345*30 on the front and 330*22 on the rear.
If money is an issue get plain discs and good pads.

Karl.

Reactions: simboti19, antowens and scotty76
The problem with drilled discs is they have a habit of creating cracks in the disc and really aren't that necessary even on a track day car. I have tried grooved discs and found them to be noisy, and they also do a good job of planing the surface of the pad which is what they are meant to do meaning the wheels get loads of dust on them and the pads don't last as long.
I would spend the money on decent pads, normal road going pads of whatever make don't like repeated heavy braking and whether you have drilled and grooved discs or plain ones they will fade the same.
I find a good road going pad is the Redstuff compound from EBC. I used to have normal Mintex pads on my car and found that after 2 or 3 fast stops you would get judder on the brakes, this is due to pad pick up as the pad is outside it's operating temperature range.
I haven't got the Redstuff pads to do this yet, They are the same discs I had on before but with the Redstuff pads.
This is on the S4 brakes I upgraded the car to. So 345*30 on the front and 330*22 on the rear.
If money is an issue get plain discs and good pads.

Karl.

cheers for the info mate money not really an issue i may just go down the route of normal discs with uprated pads if that is the case with grooved and drilled discs as said i read somewere the grooved ones gave a juddering also didnt realise the drilled are prone to cracks

as said great help thanks

Just google "drilled disc cracked" and look at the images.

Karl is spot on.

Over the years of having the lot .

Plain larger discs with Redstuff is hard to beat.

I fitted Brembro discs and pads to mine and really pleased with them, fitted grooved to a previous Audi and they do make a scraping noise noticeable more at low speed stopping.

Reactions: simboti19
What Karl says is bang on. I have the S5 callipers and bigger discs which are black diamond 12 grooves they are noisy and vibrate but to be honest I actually quite like it, but I have EBC red stuff pads which I can highly recommend, good stopping power and very little dust.

I have mtec discs and mintex pads well worth getting. No problems with juggedering

UPDATE!!!!

I opted for the OEM discs with the EBC red stuff pads

Have been fitted today so will let everyone know what i think of them after i put some miles on the car

Thanks for everyones help

Reactions: Macdoon and desertstorm
UPDATE!!!!

I opted for the OEM discs with the EBC red stuff pads

Have been fitted today so will let everyone know what i think of them after i put some miles on the car

Thanks for everyones help
Hi i know this is an old post im replying on but id like tonknow the out lcome of using red stuff brake pads. Im due a service and wondering what pads to buy was going to go for mintex disc and pads any ideas will be grateful thanks.

I have used mintex pads and mtec drilled and grooved and they are really good