1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Moisture in headlights?

MOA4B9 Dec 1, 2019

1. MOA4B9

MOA4B9 Registered User

In the last couple of days when the weather got a bit colder I have noticed that the front headlights have misted up on the inside, the bottom third of glass. Do you guys get that as well? Some time ago I got moisture in my tail light and it temporarily stopped working and got a fault message on the dashboard. I am meaning to go to audi to get that sorted before the warranty expires and was wondering if I should ask for the front ones to get changed?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. JRF

JRF Registered User

Hi have the same there holes at the side of the lights to help clear the condensation. Don’t worry normal I asked Audi when it happened to me they stated about normal. Usually clears quickly after a drive. Tail light different story sounds faulty

cuke2u likes this.
  4. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

Normal for this time of year with high humidity as the air is too dense to absorb water molecules. With LED's, as they don't produce as much heat as halogen's or xenon bulbs, the moisture tends to hang around. Mine does this every time I wash the car at this time of year..

jds_sg and SiPie like this.
  5. MOA4B9

MOA4B9 Registered User

Ok, good to know there is no problem with them. I need to get to audi dealer to have the tail light looked at.

6. thisistheone

thisistheone Registered User

Hi MOA4B9,
    Funny you should mention this but i had the same issue but on the back indicator - message comes up on the dash to say it's some kind of malfunction . when i looked at it the dynamic indicator did a half attempt of sweeping along. I took it to the main dealers who said water had got in due to the seal . It wasn't covered under my warranty ( but that is a named component as it is over 3 years ) , so it ended up costing about £280. This may give you some idea of rough cost if it's not covered and if it is the light part it's going to be different.
    Andrew

7. ash13

ash13 Registered User

Noticed the same after washing the car on Sunday. Just a bit of condensation inside on the wing side of the headlights. Thought I could remember reading something about it on here somewhere before. It has now cleared on one side, but that side does get the sun.

8. Audidi

Audidi Useful idiot

Totally normal.
    It clears up very quickly once lights and car are running.

cuke2u likes this.
  9. Evil Derboy

Evil Derboy Registered User

Condensation in both front and rear lights is totally normal given the difference in temperatures on the outside and inside of the units. Especially at this time of year.

They’re vented to allow such moisture to escape.

cuke2u likes this.