Moisture in headlights?

MOA4B9

Reaction score
In the last couple of days when the weather got a bit colder I have noticed that the front headlights have misted up on the inside, the bottom third of glass. Do you guys get that as well? Some time ago I got moisture in my tail light and it temporarily stopped working and got a fault message on the dashboard. I am meaning to go to audi to get that sorted before the warranty expires and was wondering if I should ask for the front ones to get changed?

Hi have the same there holes at the side of the lights to help clear the condensation. Don’t worry normal I asked Audi when it happened to me they stated about normal. Usually clears quickly after a drive. Tail light different story sounds faulty

Reactions: cuke2u
Normal for this time of year with high humidity as the air is too dense to absorb water molecules. With LED's, as they don't produce as much heat as halogen's or xenon bulbs, the moisture tends to hang around. Mine does this every time I wash the car at this time of year..

Reactions: jds_sg and SiPie
Ok, good to know there is no problem with them. I need to get to audi dealer to have the tail light looked at.

Hi MOA4B9,
Funny you should mention this but i had the same issue but on the back indicator - message comes up on the dash to say it's some kind of malfunction . when i looked at it the dynamic indicator did a half attempt of sweeping along. I took it to the main dealers who said water had got in due to the seal . It wasn't covered under my warranty ( but that is a named component as it is over 3 years ) , so it ended up costing about £280. This may give you some idea of rough cost if it's not covered and if it is the light part it's going to be different.
Andrew

Noticed the same after washing the car on Sunday. Just a bit of condensation inside on the wing side of the headlights. Thought I could remember reading something about it on here somewhere before. It has now cleared on one side, but that side does get the sun.

Totally normal.
It clears up very quickly once lights and car are running.

Condensation in both front and rear lights is totally normal given the difference in temperatures on the outside and inside of the units. Especially at this time of year.

They’re vented to allow such moisture to escape.

Hi,
Sorry to re-open an old thread.
I have this same issue. I get that it’s standard, fine…understood.
but after 4hr drive with lights on, it’s still not cleared.
Could this be an issue?
Thanks

Best way is to get some waterproof LED's then you don't even need lenses that can fog up .

This BMW driver has got the right idea .

Screenshot 20220116 211059 Bixby Vision

• Haha
Reactions: Garrett 69
So, I’ve found my issue. I think this is overkill for venting!!
So, I’m looking at replacing the unit now. Anyone have any tips?!

Attachments

• 6B5E824C-5A26-428F-A819-A7483F2E4ABF.jpeg
    6B5E824C-5A26-428F-A819-A7483F2E4ABF.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 117
You could try repairing / sealing that with tape / epoxy? Maybe let it dry out for a few days first and just using duct tape or the like and see if that does the job?

Yup, good shout. I’ve cleaned it up and duck taped it up. Knowing duck tape, that’ll seal it!
I’ve noticed the headlight has been melted a bit. I’m guessing the previous owner tried my idea of heating/condensing the moisture out and melted the plastic.
I’ve followed some other threads to a site that can supply replacement lenses.
Thanks for the help

Could that have been a ghetto effort to vent the headlight? There is a vent by design, a rubber pipe that runs into the wheel arch. Maybe that blocked up and someone thought they would knock a hole in it. A drilled hole would have been neater mind...

Could that have been a ghetto effort to vent the headlight? There is a vent by design, a rubber pipe that runs into the wheel arch. Maybe that blocked up and someone thought they would knock a hole in it. A drilled hole would have been neater mind...
Ahh right. I knew it was vented, just not where!
I’ll see how it goes; if things get worse, then I can remove the tape.
It does look like accidental damage, but I can’t tell for sure.