MMI and iPhone 6

quinnii

Reaction score
Iv been trawling through various threads on here regarding people's hit and miss issues with the various different coloured MMI cables.

Just a thought, does the standard iPhone lightning cable that comes with the phone work when it's plugged into the MMI usb adaptor?

Pretty sure the Apple Lightning connector does not support analog audio (hence why you get the huge DAC/ADC attachment on the Audi AMI cable) - so if you were to use the USB cable supplied with the phone, into the USB AMI cable, I think you would just get charging functionality.

More:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/cd-holder.215081/#post-2140450

*note - pedant's corner - it's an AMI cable, but the Infotainment screen and controls are MMI

Pretty sure the Apple Lightning connector does not support analog audio (hence why you get the huge DAC/ADC attachment on the Audi AMI cable) - so if you were to use the USB cable supplied with the phone, into the USB AMI cable, I think you would just get charging functionality.

More:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/cd-holder.215081/#post-2140450

*note - pedant's corner - it's an AMI cable, but the Infotainment screen and controls are MMI

Cheers,

I haven't picked my car up yet but the system on my S3 is called MMI so excuse the confusion over the acronyms.

I'm just trying to figure out what the best connection is going to be but reading that it looks like Bluetooth is the way forward

Except if you spec B&O then there will be more crackling than on a hog roast ;)

Reactions: mjcourtney
I tried to find my AMI USB cable to test this but haven't seen it for months. If I find it before anyone else answers this then will post back. However, agree with @veeeight's comment: if you get anything to work it would prob just be charging and unlikely to get streaming. You'd be better off getting:

Yellow collar AMI cable if you have tech pack
Green or yellow collar AMI cable won't give you artwork with non-tech pack. If you want artwork with non tech-pack then get a red collar cable and genuine Apple lightning to 30 pin adapter.

John.

Reactions: veeeight
I use my phone for a lot in the car and never really have any issues. I had to wait a while to get a connector from Audi with the Lightning Adapter on it, so while I didn't have it, I looked at all the Bluetooth stuff. I never found a need for the cable when it did arrive!

Connection via Bluetooth was easy to setup on my iPhone 6 and its used for music playback via Spotify almost everytime I'm in the car, along with the Telephone and Messages system. Voice control has no problem finding my contacts and the music playback has always been great with Spotify and Soundcloud. Both correctly work with the apps' built in shuffle functionality (unlike other music applications that skip to next track when skipped using MMI controls irrespective of shuffle setting on device) and the sound quality of all aspects is great.

Although I do have a little bug where the MMI forgets the last used and default volume setting for new phone calls, and sets it at 26 everytime. Really shocking sometimes!