Meyle Hd Kit Anyone Had An Early Failures

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So just over 3 years ago I fitted a full Meyle HD kit (control arms & C links) had my MOT on Saturday and it was going to fail on 2 top control arms and both C links, thankfully the mot tester is a friend so was able to replace the failed parts and get my MOT.

The arms that had failed were the top rear arms on both sides the ball joints had excessive play and C links were just about fecked, badly corroded and starting to come apart. The kit had only done around 60K miles so was a little disappointed, I know they say 4 year warranty I but needed the car back on the road, so replaced all top arms and C links with lemforder which should last longer. The bottom arms looked OK but the bushes in the arms are starting to crack so will replace them next year.

Was thinking about trying to send back the damaged parts then selling them on so to get some money back on the lemforder parts I had to pay for, anyone else had this problem with their meyle kit?

Not yet but personally i dont think there all there cracked up to be the bushes are cracking already on mine and been on for almost 2 years iirc maybe longer.

For the replacements you need to send them back to where you purchased them and they send them to meyle were they check them and will only replace if they confirm them as faulty.

If that's the case then I'll just bin them, more hassle than it worth (got them from ebay.de) and I'm sure they will just say wear and tear.... I don't think I will be buying any more meyle stuff I stick with lemforder, it cost more but lasts a hell of a lot longer.

Im sure there was a similar post to this before on here a while back regarding the Meyle HD arms.

Ive just bought lemforder top arms for mine which were done before I bought the car and the boy said they were the Meyle arms that were fitted. Im planning on getting my 4 wheel alignment done so had checked over the suspension and found some play in both top rear arms so I want them changed before I put it in for its alignment.

Last edited:
I find the lower rear control arm bush to be made from cheese and has more movement than i would like i might go for a set of 034 arms when the build gets on the way.

I've fitted four Meyle HD sets now.

First set was on my first FWD A4 well over four years ago, we still have that in the family as its mums car now, and it has recently developed a knock on the front end. I've not yet had a chance to jack it up and figure out what the noise is.

Second set was on craigs S4. They were on there for perhaps 3-4 years, and just before he sold it it had developed a slight knock from the front end. He had it into three different garages and none of them could find the knock, then eventually was in a Halfords Autocentre for something and asked the guy there and he had a poke around and found the tiniest of amounts of play in one of the arms. He said it wasnt an issue and would probably last another year or two like that.

Third set is on my Current avant. I fitted them in February 2012, and have heard the odd random knock/clunk from the car over the last few months. I've not investigated yet so i dont know if its the meyle parts, or the older Track rod ends (i didnt fit the meyle rod ends as i'd already replaced those) or something else.

Fourth set is on my saloon. Fitted them in october 2013 and no issues to report yet.

Its funny though, a mate of mine fitted Lemforder track rod ends to his bora about 2 years ago, thinking he didnt want to cheap out (and unlike the A4 theres much less to a bora front end, so the extra cost of the lemforder bits wasnt a problem) One failed a few months ago, he replaced that and now after a trip round france the other one has also failed.

Really does make me wonder how the original factory parts can last 12 years or more, and yet these aftermarket bits even from reputable companies are failing so quickly.

I find the lower rear control arm bush to be made from cheese and has more movement than i would like i might go for a set of 034 arms when the build gets on the way.

The lower rear bush seems to be carefully engineered, it has big voids, then plastic inserts to control movement in certain directions.

The 034 stuff isnt really any better either, few reports on SRS about the balljoints failing and boots tearing, and less than satisfactory customer service.

Update on this thread, finally got around to checking the bottom arms as I'm fitting new CV joints and bearings , I'd already change the top arms and c-link with lemforder which are still fine but the existing lower meyle arms are shot, and the ball joints just flop around, with the only thing keeping them upright is the rubber boot.

fecked2_zpsj3o6yc9k.jpg

fecked1_zpsjnipeea9.jpg

Ordered new Lemforder arms but for some reason ECP have stopped selling the lower front Lemforder arm so got them for £70 each at amazon.

Were they torqued up properly with the suspension at ride height?

On the original topic, I've had a Meyle TRE failure on my saloon. Barely a year old.

Not impressed!

As above were they bolts tightened when the suspension was uncompressed, this is a sure way to kill the bushes.
The suspension needs to be jacked into it's normal running position then the bolts tightened. If you tighten the bolts and then lower the car the bushes are permanently twisted and this does what has happened to yours.
If they are installed correctly in a normal resting state the bushes aren't being twisted.

Karl

Yes, I leave the suspension to rest before tightening the bolts, so nothing is twisted.

I know this is quite late, but thought I would also update on the matter.

I installed mines in 2012 - installed in the laden position as per the sticker on every single arm that comes in the kit.

Took my car for general yearly wheel alignment just a month ago and they told me that there is a tear on my both of my lower arms.

He goes to me he nearly missed it because they still looked new.

Never will I touch these again. As for ride comfort the Lemforder felt 100% better than these as I found these too crashy at times, whereas the Lemforder was more smooth on the same road before, although going down bends felt more planted with the Meyle HD.

Just wondering how I will get these replaced under warranty as I'm going to need replacements.

I went Lemforder and then added polybushes throughout the front end. Much better and no ball joint issues yet despite my tendency to drive like a hooligan lol