Map update release dates

jrumball

Reaction score
Does anyone know the frequency or dates that map updates are released ? I would like to update just after a release not just before as it seems we are limited to 5 free updates.....

You get 5 updates and these can be downloaded over and over again so not much to worry about.
It’s normally every 6 months. This is the second Audi connect car I’ve had and it’s not changed.

Can’t really remember. Normally comes up on the MMI then I do it on my laptop

Never seen an update signal to update on the MMI, but I would love to miss out updates and push the 5 free updates to the limit. IMO I don't need to update it every 6 months. Every year is fine for me! I have been told this isn't possible though which is a shame!

Never seen an update signal to update on the MMI, but I would love to miss out updates and push the 5 free updates to the limit. IMO I don't need to update it every 6 months. Every year is fine for me! I have been told this isn't possible though which is a shame!

I updated my Q5 maps in January to the 2019 version, and this was the first update I’ve done since I bought the car new in January 2018, when the maps were the 2018 version......so, I don’t think you are ‘forced’ to update every 6 months to get the latest version.

You can update whenever you want.
When you hit the 3 year mark or last update you won’t get the newer ones but the latest one that you were allowed will always be available on the my Audi website. I could still see the last one available on my last car on my Audi just before I got rid of it when it was just over 3 years old.

I was told it was 5 free updates so I was trying to space them every couple of years as to make sure I had recent maps for the liftime of the car . Do you have reference to the 3 year limit as this would suggest a bi-yearly update as 5 plus the original version would cover you for the whole period

That’s right. It’s one every 6 months over 3 years.
So only 3 years worth. It’s 5 sequential updates not when you choose like get one now and miss a few years then get another.
It is quite confusing. The wording isn’t that clear.
Example if it’s January updates for a 2019 car would be roughly this.
2019 June
2020 jan
2020 June
2021 jan
2021 June

ok cool. good to know. If you are out of time then what happens? does a page transfer you to a payment when trying to download? hope we dont have to go in to Audi for this!

That’s right. It’s one every 6 months over 3 years.
So only 3 years worth. It’s 5 sequential updates not when you choose like get one now and miss a few years then get another.
It is quite confusing. The wording isn’t that clear.
Example if it’s January updates for a 2019 car would be roughly this.
2019 June
2020 jan
2020 June
2021 jan
2021 June

Thats annoying.... another part of the connected services that was badly described to me when I bought the car !

Oh well I'll go and update it now....

For reference the wording from the mid 2016 sales Brochure

Screenshot 2019 02 05 at 094429

ok cool. good to know. If you are out of time then what happens? does a page transfer you to a payment when trying to download? hope we dont have to go in to Audi for this!
You can download the same one over and over again. Servers aren’t great and frequently crashes half way through.

Reactions: Ormesome
You can download the same one over and over again. Servers aren’t great and frequently crashes half way through.

Sorry mate, i wasnt clear! i mean after the free updates, when they expire. If i want the 6th update or later in the future, will i be diverted to a paypal type site or will i have to go in to Audi?

Sorry mate, i wasnt clear! i mean after the free updates, when they expire. If i want the 6th update or later in the future, will i be diverted to a paypal type site or will i have to go in to Audi?

Don’t think Audi UK has figured that bit out.
I asked the dealer with my last car and they didn’t have a clue and said contact Audi UK. Got rid of the car so didn’t chase it further.
From what I read I think the updates are available on sdcards you can buy from parts desk. Not 100% sure.

Reactions: oli356 and Ormesome
I believe all that happens is you get a message that no updates are available...

I must be stupid but where do you get the updates from. Had my car 16months and have never updated the maps could do with it aswell.

Either through the mmi menu or this method:
1) Get a 32 Gig SD memory card.
2) Go to My Audi site, https://www.myaudi.com Log in.
3) Click on the “Audi connect services” icon (below the car).
4) On the services tab, click the right arrow to scroll to “Map update.” Click on it.
5) You can choose “Complete package” or “Individual country.” Your choice. I chose complete package.
6) Put you SD card in your computer. Alternately, you can load the map files to your hard drive. Click on “prepare package” at the bottom.
7) This will download a file called “downloader” with a bunch of numbers after the word.
8) You need the latest version of Java. It will prompt you if needed.
9) On the Mac, you might need to go into my security settings to allow the downloader file to open.
10) It will open with a Java screen, followed by a Download client window that says “my Audi.” It asks you to choose a folder location for the files. Pick a location on your hard drive or SD card and click to go.
11) The download starts and is tracked in the Download client window. The size of the files is 10.6 gig. It took about 2 hours to download on my computer.
12) Once the files are downloaded, transfer them to your SD card if you didn’t load them direct. There will be two files “0231001C.md5”, “metainfo2.txt” and two folders “Mib1” and Mib2”. All are needed.
13) Go to your car. You can do this while you are driving or stationary but the car must be on (not necessarily running but on). I did it in my garage.
14) Stick the SD card into the SD1 slot in your glove box.
15) In your MMI, go to Main menu>>Settings. Push the MMI scroll wheel to the left, it brings up a menu that says “MMI setup” and “System update.” Pick “System update.”
16) Pick SD1 (i.e. where you put your SD card) and press the MMI button to select.
17) The nav update will start and inform you of progress on the MMI screen. My update took about 20 minutes to load in mycar.

I'm confused, again.
When I spoke to the salesman he said I would have to pay for map updates on my new 2019 A3. This to me did not make sense.
When the car goes in for it's yearly servicing isn't the map update done?

Colin

I'm confused, again.
When I spoke to the salesman he said I would have to pay for map updates on my new 2019 A3. This to me did not make sense.
When the car goes in for it's yearly servicing isn't the map update done?

Colin

If you don’t have the tech pack/MMI high then you have to pay for updates as these come in sdcards.
Map updates traditionally has never been free.

I don't have the Tech Pack, but I do have:-
  • MMI Radio Plus with 7" colour MMI screen and MMI controller
  • MMI Navigation (SD card-based)

That's cheap if it's correct. Used to be looking at £400+

Think it varies depending on dealership. My old boss had the a6 with rmc unit and she got it updated in Carlisle Audi for £150. Seen it as high as £500. I was told by the service department it takes a couple of hours for a tech to do it so they charge that as labour. My argument was he presses start and makes his cup of tea and comes back to it when it’s done. He doesn’t watch a progress bar for hours on end ***.