Main dealer disappointment

prt57

Reaction score
This is about my Mk 4 Golf GTI 1.8T that I have owned since new in 1998.
This car has featured a couple of times recently in VW Driver. I have always had it serviced annually at a VW dealer so it has FVWSH.
Last Thursday took it in for an oil service and a new wing mirror that some **** smashed in a car park.
Everything seemed OK on the way home. I provide my own oil as it runs very well on Castrol Edge.
Next morning I checked it over and found the oil level about 1.5 cm over max. So I rang them up and they said bring it back and they would drain some out. Luckily, as you will see, I agreed rather than sorting it myself.
Not a big deal as I had some spare time so I sat in the car showroom drinking coffee and reading some magazines.
After about 20 mins the service receptionist asked me to come to her desk and she told me that they could not stop the sump plug from leaking. She said that she was not technically minded so I asked to see my car.
The car was on the ramp with a very uncomfortable looking young mechanic trying to catch my "new" oil in a tank ready for reuse. I think he had also worked on the car the day before.
The threads in the sump drain hole were sitting there looking like a tangled mass of aluminium shavings. First thing I said was that oil is not going back into my car as it had been drained out though the bits.
The work shop foreman said not to worry as they would foot the bill for a replacement sump and some more of my oil. The deduction was that the mechanic the day before had either cross threaded the sump plug or over tightened it stripping the threads in the process.
I took the opportunity to ask to pay for a new oil pick up and strainer as it has never been changed. They said that will be done FOC too!!
As far as I know there are no really good independents locally. The last local one I used to fit new rear calipers left me with a low brake pedal that had to be fixed by the main dealer who had to do a complete fluid flush.
Last year my wife's TT went to the local Audi centre. They had a good deal on tyres at the time but they gouged holes in the rim of every wheel when fitting 4 new ones. They had to pay for a wheel refurb on wheels that had otherwise been perfect.
So the car will be fixed but this sort of rubbish should never be happening in the first place and it is making having anything done on the car a very tense business.
I do lots of jobs on our cars not only to save cash but to make sure they are done carefully. I can do an oil change easily but for some reason like to have the stamp in the book.

You can save mega money doing some jobs your self.
We have 2x TTs both having the dodgy parcel shelf plastic mounting that break very easily allowing the parcel shelf to fall into the boot. Total cost to fit 3 replacements at Audi was going to be £525 due to the labour involved.
DIY price to fix using plasterboard fixings from B & Q less than £5.00 plus a couple of hours to do some careful drilling and refitting.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ_26
The moral of this story is------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------DO IT YOURSELF!

Reactions: Raiden
I would have been spitting feathers if that was my car. You pay a premium price to have work done on your car at a main dealer so wouldn't expect such pooor workmanship. If the oil hadn't been overfilled you wouldn't have known about the sump plug issue .
I would expect that mechanics at a main dealer would have a better level of competence before being let loose on customers cars. Even if it is only on oil changes. Even simple things like this have the possibility to cause a lot of damage to a car if done incorrectly.

I never understand why this places have youngsters doing these jobs.

One Audi dealer near me I gave a miss as it was all kids or people that didn't speak English doing the servicing.

I don't trust them one bit , took my BMW to a dealer last year for its mot , they did a health check and said it needed 4 new tyres, new discs new pads , a few other things , was going to cost about £2k , I took it to a friends garage who checked it all over , the discs and pads were still in very good condition with 75% left on the pads , the rear tyres still had 5mm all round and the fronts 4mm , basically the car was in need of nothing at all , the dealer was just trying it on , I have just had a quote to service my sons car , major service , so oil ,oil filter ,cabin filter , air filter , spark plugs etc , it was going to be £260 , i bought all the parts and oil etc from euro carparts for £75 and did it all myself on saturday , took me less than an hour , put the receipt in the car folder as proof it has been done .

I never understand why this places have youngsters doing these jobs.

One Audi dealer near me I gave a miss as it was all kids or people that didn't speak English doing the servicing.

They do have apprentices and they do need to learn but a fully trained tech should be checking the work done, at least that's how it was done when I was an apprentice.

No news from the garage yet.
As most of you echoed, I expected better than this from a main dealer and they have worked on the car for over 10 years.
Normally the service is fine and this is the first glitch at a garage in over 40 years of motoring.

My S3 is currently in with a main Audi dealer in West London for the rear wiper motor. I could have easily repaired this myself however I've had the car for just over a month and it came with a 1y Extended Warranty from Audi; the warranty booklet confirms the wiper motor is covered . Audi have now had the car for 2 days and may need to keep it until tomorrow while they "wait for warranty repair approval". If it's not approved then the estimate to repair is £427 including parts and labour.

If warranty decide not to cover and I don't proceed with the work then I'm up for a £120 diagnostics charge :chargrined:

I have just collected my car from Audi - 4 days it's taken them to fit the rear wiper motor. Apparently my private plates confused them and the warranty company. They kindly cleaned my car and broke the centre console arm-rest catch (and the hook the spring sits behind) - they'll call me in a couple of days.

Tell them not to clean the car when they fix the centre console, may end with something else broke

Picked up my 1.8T yesterday and everything had been sorted. I asked to see the parts as I was interested in knowing how dirty everything had become after 113,000 miles. The inside of the sump was hardly stained at all. The oil pick up strainer had only a tiny bit of oil "clot" near one side and certainly nothing to worry about.
I have run it on long life fully synthetic since new although the original specification called for semi synthetic. Maybe cost a bit more over the years but it was reflected in the apparent condition of the engine..
The question is, will I go back to the garage next time? The answer is probably yes as there was no argument and I got to drive a brand new DSG equipped car for 6 days.
I quite liked the experience after getting used to it and can certainly see the benefit of DSG when driving around town. Very relaxing. However, when I got back into the Golf, it felt at home straight away.
Soon be time to get the S3 out after its winter hibernation!