maf fault after air filter change!!

Buxton2901

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have recently replaced my air filter for the first time on the A4 and now have a maf fault p0101
When I took the old filter out there was a large rubber o ring which was not supplied with the new filter and I could not get the old o ring to fit the new filter so I fitted without thinking it didn't need it.
Would this cause a vacuum leak and subsequently the maf fault or maybe the maf sensor is bad?
Anyone had the same issue?
Thanks
Paul

Yes those rubber rings are a right pain to get in, spray mine with WD40 and that makes it easier to fit.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16485/P0101/000257
The rubber ring won't be an issue. Is the air filter a standard paper filter ?
You could try logging specified and actual MAF values to see how far out the MAF is, they don't last forever unfortunately so could have gone faulty.

Thanks for replying Karl.
Yes it's a standard paper filter with the foam cover around it. I'm worried I damaged the sensor when I was man handling it trying to get the filter to fit with the o ring.
Is there a way of cleaning the maf sensor as I've read it may just need cleaning ?

I think I did but will take it all off again and try cleaning the sensor.
Do u think acetone will be OK to use?

I wouldn't use acetone, it's good at dissolving plastic. Many years ago the wife (Blonde) put some fake nails into nail varnish remover (acetone) the next day they had dissolved :) .

electrial contact cleaner is good aswell, get it at most electrical shops

So I've had it all apart again and it looks like the airbox wasn't closed properly.
There is a tab at the bottom which wasn't correctly aligned therefore there was a gap and I assume it wasn't sealed and caused a vacuum leak.
Had bought the electrical contact cleaner anyway so gave the maf sensor a good spray for good measure. Just wait and see if the fault code comes back now but I'm confident it's sorted now.
Cheers guys