M140i vs S4

Fast it might be, but a killer in the wet, but something that looks like it would be a home loading pigs into has a zero appeal to me. Knowing BMW's the urban ride would also uncouth...

Fast it might be, but a killer in the wet, but something that looks like it would be a home loading pigs into has a zero appeal to me. Knowing BMW's the urban ride would also uncouth...

Why a killer in the wet if AWD?

Gather you are talking about 140i and not M3/M4 so ignore above

Reactions: cuke2u
Yeah I was on topic, apologies for not making that clear...

Reactions: RB84 and NevMan
A great performance bargain the 140i is but as others have said, not great all weather performance and I can only imagine what it’s like getting the power down smoothly on wet/greasy roads!

It’s a bit of an ugly duckling IMO and the interior dated, only saving grace is the soundtrack of the engine/exhaust.

I’d choose other smaller cars if I was to downgrade but for now the S4 wins over the 140i in my eyes especially with a DTUK box!

Reactions: A12RNX, cuke2u and NevMan
Read the other day that the lineup will be headed by an M130i in future, rather than a 140i. Supposed to have x-drive and a 300-ish 2.0L engine but with the six cylinder versions being kept for the proper M cars.

Reactions: NevMan
Read the other day that the lineup will be headed by an M130i in future, rather than a 140i. Supposed to have x-drive and a 300-ish 2.0L engine but with the six cylinder versions being kept for the proper M cars.

It's also not going to be RWD going forward, the whole 1 series line up is going to be FWD and the M1xx might be AWD. They are going to be mounting the engine transversely so no option of RWD.

Reactions: NevMan and Daggerit
Next one has much nicer proportions as a result.

Also, I'd wager that nearly everyone that buys a cooking model 1 series doesn't give a monkey's as to whether it's RWD or FWD, it'll only be Troy Queef in his 140i that will rue the loss. He'll just have to move up to a 2, 3 or 4 series if he wants a 6 pot RWD car next time.

Out of interest what setting do you have your dtuk box set at? Had mine on dynamic but after 4 months it threw an error up on the dash twice in a week, plugged the blank it for about 3 weeks with no errors at all, turned it back on yesterday and gone down to sport instead

I run on map 2 -1 daily now, (no issues or CEL's thus far (14k miles)

2-2 is the smoothest. The higher flow downpipe seems to make a bit more boost at the same duty / rpm thus feels jerky at part throttle on the higher settings.

Next one has much nicer proportions as a result.

Also, I'd wager that nearly everyone that buys a cooking model 1 series doesn't give a monkey's as to whether it's RWD or FWD, it'll only be Troy Queef in his 140i that will rue the loss. He'll just have to move up to a 2, 3 or 4 series if he wants a 6 pot RWD car next time.

The 2 series will be the same, I think the current one is FWD for all the base models already.

My brothers got a 140i and will not be getting the next one as a result of losing the RWD 6-pot, and he is most definitely a Tory Queef.

Not what I've read. The popularity of the M2 means that the next 2 series coupe will have a shortened 3 series chassis. Confusingly, there will be a 2 GC 5 door hatch which WILL be 1 series based and either FWD or AWD!

Worth a watch. S3 vs 140 vs A35 vs Golf R vs Focus RS