Loud squeaking from front end?

JPK

Reaction score
The noise has only started in the last couple of days. It is loud and does my head in. Mainly makes noise in the morning when its colder and going over bumps or undulations in the road. Noise reduces significantly and is intermittent later in the day when its warmer and the car is at temperature. Had some suspension work done last week but was perfectly fine for the first few days/200km.

Had the following installed in the front end 4 months ago.

Whiteline anti lift kit, h&r sport cup kit, whiteline front control arm bushings, new oem strut mounts bearings, 034 Motorsport street density mounts

Had the following installed last week:

New h&r front dampers (old cup kit dampers were incorrect), whiteline adjustable end links, whiteline bump steer correction kit, tyrolsport deadest collar kit, oem ball joints, oem inner tie rods. New brakes were also installed. Everything was torqued to spec and greased where appropriate.

I am thinking either OE sway bar bushes (pain in the **** to check/replace) or possibly OE strut mounts (even though they are only 2500km old). Neither of these should really be failing though..

Anyone got any ideas?

Spray some wd40 into the arb bushes, see if it goes.

I suspect the bump steer correction kit. Drove it in the rain today and the noise was terrible. Far worse than in the dry. Especially loud over bumpy surfaces and when turning at low speeds. Also when stationary and turning the wheel. Won't have a chance to get it up on a hoist and checked out till mid week :/

Will try some wd40 tomorrow on the arb bushes, however if it is the problem that will just be a very temporary fix right?

Can the front sway bar bushings be replaced without dropping the subframe?

Yes wd40 was just to ascertain where problem was, then decide on what to do.

Depends on if you'd split the existing bracket, if you did then its maybe possible to get it all of without removing arb, but you may have to loosen the sub to drop it a little bit, you don't actually have to remove the sub anyway when doing the arb, just drop it down & hang on the bolts.

Thankyou. What would you estimate in time to replace the front sway bar? Considering doing it anyway, was just put off by the potential high labour cost as I wouldn't tackle it on my own.

Depends on the person doing lol, but half a day realistically if not done before.

I have a front fat HR arb for sale for a fwd 8P/MK5.

Probably cost a fortune to ship to me!

Yes it was the ARB bushes. A bit of wd40 quietened it right down. Funny that it happened right after installing those parts. Must be related to the tougher end links not giving as much?

Why where are you located?

New arb bushes can do this if not lubricated before fitting, I recall some Eibachs I fitted sometime back had a tube of lube supplied with.