Looking to get an S1 Anything I need to know?

alexyyyy

Reaction score
Going for a used model looking to spend a maximum of around £17,000 it'll be quite an upgrade from my 1.4L Polo I'm not super concerned with a ecu remap or tuning it as it'll be the first car I've owned with some power.

I did an insurance quote for myself being a driver that's got 2 years no claims and 2 years experience I was getting quotes of around £900-1200 for it without a telematic box, would be waiting for the third year before getting the car though.

What should I be looking out for?

Many thanks.

Main issue is the clutches are made of cheese

Other than that, keeping it stock you should be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most people would say yes, but then you need to be mindful about a heavier clutch etc.

As above it’s a trade off. Most people go the Sachs route, they have a couple of performance options, some heavier than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sachs Organic clutch if you're not going to be super modding the S1 should be fine ;)

I'm putting money aside for when mine eventually goes (currently on 16k miles), not sure yet whether I'd get the organic or the sintered clutch. I'm hoping to find someone with a sintered clutch so that I can see/feel what its like before I decide

people keep saying the clutches but I've not had any issue on my 2015 one since buying it and I've hammered it and launched it 8x+ in a row.

personally, i don't think its a problem... its a performance car that has a lot of power. its to be expected. the new 2017 ones have an uprated clutch too

Definitely seems to be the VAG 2.0T engine issue, as it has been discussed on the Golf GTI and Skoda forums. Fingers crossed, as I to have had no issues.

Interesting to here that there is a new clutch in the 2o17 S1's