S1 Water Pump Replacement - Anything else to do?

MappyMcCard

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a service booked in to replace the water pump housing on my 2018 S1 (under warranty) and figure I would replace the pump as long as they're in there and the labour is mostly covered for the housing replacement - just seems to make sense to do this at the same time.

From reading around, I know that this is a fairly involved job to get to the water pump housing and was wondering if anyone has any other ideas of things to have replaced at the same time given that I'll have most of the labour covered?

SaveShare

Yes, it's best to have the water pump and thermostat housing replaced at the same time... It won't be the last time either. I need replacement number 3. The thermostat housing has sprung a small leak again. Car has only done about 64 000km. Really not the best solution the VAG group has for a water pump and thermostat on this engine.
I can't think of anything else that you can replace whilst the intake and water pump/thermostat has been removed.

They can inspect the inlet tract for carbon build up, depending on mileage...

They can inspect the inlet tract for carbon build up, depending on mileage...
Thanks for this - but that is going to require taking the head off, no? The only labour that is going to be covered here is the disassembly to get to the water pump.

Thanks for this - but that is going to require taking the head off, no? The only labour that is going to be covered here is the disassembly to get to the water pump.
No, they will probably take the intake manifold off to get to the therrnostat/water pump, and once that is off, they can inspect the inlet ports for carbon build up.

No, they will probably take the intake manifold off to get to the therrnostat/water pump, and once that is off, they can inspect the inlet ports for carbon build up.
Ah, okay, thanks - will ask about that