Looking at buying an 2007 a4 2.0 tdi sline

:: blade ::

Reaction score
Hi im looking at buying a a4 s line in the next few days. This will be my 1st diesel car. Anthing to look out for? Mileage on it is at 99.5k and says it has full service history. I have checked old mots and its only failed twice on tyres back on 2010 and 2015. I currently have an s3 8l which is a bag of *BEEP* at the mo. So need a car now that doesnt cost the earth to fuel and doesnt break down every month hope you can help.

Thanks

2.0TDi Oil Pump / Balancer shaft problems - the definitive guide! Audi VW Skoda SEAT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper and :: blade ::
140 pd or 170 pd
Dpf y/n
Recent Water pump cam belt change ?

It will have dpf then ,look out for eml ,low mileage like that could suggest short journeys ,don’t want a dpf blocking,although u can have the soot content checked on vcds

Personally if your set on that year and model I’d be looking for a 140pd bre (no dpf)
Or if you can find on a 1.9 tdi much better engine than the 2.0 tdi

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper
Just looked again its a 2008 57plate if that makes any difference? Not 2007 as i thought

It sounds good ,decent mileage,cam belt at 60k and service history sounds like it’s been looked after mechanically

you’ve read about the oil pump balance shaft issues ? ,the unlucky ones find they tend to start letting go 110k + on average,I had mine replaced for upgraded parts as a precaution..cost me £800 inc cam belt and water pump swap

Reactions: :: blade ::
If you're set on a 2.0tdi instead of a 1.9tdi go for a BRE 140bhp and have it remapped to 180.

But the most important issue is the oil pump and balance shaft as James has said. You might be lucky and it's already been done.

Keep in mind cars around the 100k miles start racking up bills quickly hence why everyone seems to sell when they reach that milestone, from my personal experience id go real low miles or something north of 150k, or roll the dice of course, buying cars is like pulling a woman with your beer googles on, the next day you never know what's really hiding underneath all that make up.