Looking at an S4 Avant at 13.30! Any Pointers?

Alex Ward

Reaction score
Morning guys. Hope you’re all having a nice Sunday.
As the title says, I’m going to look at a B5 S4 Avant at 13.30 today. It’s a 2000 X reg. 130k ish. FSH.
Been doing my research and it seems the turbos could be a grey area.....!! Some go early, some still going way beyond 150k.
Is there anything else B5 S4 specific I should be looking for apart front the normal second hand car stuff?
It will be my second car so I’ll only be putting 2000 miles a year max on it.
Any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated
Cheers folks.

I said I would only be putting 3000 miles on mine. It’s addictive. Not that easy I find lol. I’m well over that now. Hahaha.

Turbos are a big one as you say, any dentist drill noises. As well as boost leaks. Any hissing when your driving under boost. I wouldn’t let it stop you from buying it but will need investigating and could be potential for a few £ off.

Makes sure it’s stone cold when it gets started up and leave it 5-10 mins. See if there’s any smoke coming from either side of the engine. If there is, it needs rocker gaskets and cam seals doing which is £150-200 in parts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Alex Ward
I would say the most important thing is service history bills receipts

How’d you get on?

Well, not brilliant. The car was being sold by a garage but it was at a storage yard with about 50 other cars! Not at their forecourt. I had to follow the guy to their yard.
They had 3 B5 S4 Avants. They were all in a bit of a sorry state. They said they buy them privately and keep them as they are going up in value!!!
The one I was interested in was the cheapest due to my budget. Light silver/green with light grey leather. Body work and interior were in good nick for 130k. The trip computer pixels were faulty. Everything worked as it should though. Bose sounded good.
The boot lid button was the only thing that wouldn’t work so I couldn’t see in the boot.
The car had been sat for months apparently. You could tell this as all 4 tyres were flat and it it did have some moss here and there lol. but they put a battery pack on and it started instantly. Sounded a bit rough though! Think it needed a good run to see if the engine was performing as it should. It has been sat a while. I didn’t get a chance to test drive as I had my kids with me and was ****** freezing and they need to put new tyres on it which they said they would. They said they’d put anything right on it that was faulty etc.
Service history didn’t fill me with confidence. Book was only stamped to 70k. There were lots of expensive receipts including timing belt and water pump. But these only went up to 2013.
So all in all I’m not sure. It’s cheap though at £4750. And I reckon they’d do a deal. Need to drive it really.
The nostalgic part of me thinks it needs rescuing but the sensible head on me says it could be a money pit. Or it could be a rough diamond. I dunno! This is the car.........
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-X-AUDI-S4-AVANT-2-7-S4-AVANT-QUATTRO-5DR/273109827295?_trkparms=pageci:72605e05-2ba0-11e8-9bc0-74dbd18052d1|parentrq:3f723fca1620abc2cce67086fffca9a5|iid:1&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607

Looking at the mot history online, it’s been off the road since 2013!!!!!!!! Hence the receipts only going up to 2013.
Not sure what to make of that really. At least that clears up the what I thought was a lack of maintenance for 4/5 years.

Looking at the mot history online, it’s been off the road since 2013!!!!!!!! Hence the receipts only going up to 2013.
Not sure what to make of that really. At least that clears up the what I thought was a lack of maintenance for 4/5 years.

Was that out near reading somewhere? I almost went and viewed it when I bought mine, they had a silver one also which was tatty and had little history... but some upgrades and needed tyres etc. Didn’t fill me with confidence when I spoke to them so never viewed it....

Will need a timing belt again in my opinion, sat 5 years without the belt moving etc... Sure they’re lifespan is about 4-5 years technically? Probably waterpump seals etc will have dried out... looks like a nice car though. I think it’s overpriced unless they go over it with a fine tooth comb.. I would also be querying the history tbh with a gap that big. After being stood that long, I would probably be at least pushing my luck and asking for a 24h test drive to make sure it’s all A-Okay.. After they’ve sorted out all its issues and re-roaded it....