Long delays for new orders due to WLTP emissions testing

I am in the mix with this as well - wife has an A4 1.4 saloon black edition manual on order since early April. One thing that does seem certain is the 1.4 is now discontinued and the consensus is the 1.5 will replace it. However my dealer sent me an email saying either a 1.5 or 2.0 would replace our 1.4
Interestingly on the German Audi site you can no longer select a anything other than a 2.0 petrol for the A4 and its the same on the UK fleet site.
Wifes Polo GTI doesnt go back till Dec so fingers crossed a MY19 model can be built in time. The only detail my dealer had confidence in regarding spec changes was that folding mirrors would likely be standard.

Reactions: DaveW
To be honest I would not pay to much attention to what can or can't be ordered at the moment until everything settles down..

I send a DM to Audi CS:
"Many people on an Audi forum that I frequent are experiencing the same frustrations as myself. There is complete lack of information from Audi AG over orders stuck in the WLTP testing process.. What sort of delays can we experience? How long will it take for all variants to complete WLTP testing. In the case of the A4 model, some people have been told they will receive an MY19 model- what sort of specification will these vehicles be?
Audi is a premium brand, but us customers do not seem to be receiving a customer experience to match this. Please do not refer me to my Audi centre as they do not know when these issues will be resolved. Maybe an announcement on the Audi UK website to keep customers informed, instead of us continually Checking the YourAudi portal to see no more progress on our orders."

They responded with:
"Good afternoon, Dave. At the moment, we don't have a time timeframe on potential delays however we are trying to minimise the impact to customers vehicle orders. As the Centre you placed the order through have direct links to the factory in Germany, they are best placed to advise on delays and potential model year 2019 vehicles. We can only apologise for the inconvenience caused. Would you like a call to provide you with an update from the Centre, Dave?"

Helpful huh?

Reactions: Moocher
At least they replied to you!

I’ll happily take a 1.5 MY19. I almost ordered a Skoda Octavia estate with the 1.5 engine but there was so much kit missing and the interior looked very ordinary in comparison.

I'll take a Black Edition... any engine, any body style, any colour, any transmission... couldnt give a monkeys lol

Doing my usual round on the German Audi forum using trusty google translate and I’ve come across this with regards to the A4 facelift being on pre-sale from MY19 (what ever that means) . This is in Germany mind.

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/de...-audi-a4-avanterfolgsmodelle-in-topform-10394

It translates to this;

Audi makes its successful premium middle class even more attractive. In the 2019 model year, the A4 saloon and A4 Avant will receive redesigned bumpers, which together with the new wheel design underline the sporty character. The likewise new equipment line S line competition sets further dynamic accents.
In the new model year, the Audi A4 captivates with a more distinctive front, starting with the design and sport lines. Strong, pentagonal contours capture the outer air inlets - webs in aluminum look structure their interior. The S line exterior package features new bumpers with a sportier look. These are characterized by a strong wedge-shaped cut. A U-shaped clasp separates the outer area from the inside, which is adorned with a honeycomb grid. In the air inlets, separate openings divert a portion of the wind into the wheel arches, where it flows past the wheels.

The single-frame grill also serves to differentiate between the equipment lines. In the S line exterior package, its grid now also integrates slats in 3D optics. A blade completes the front down. The rear bumper is also in the new look as standard. Two wide, trapezoidal exhaust fins replace the previous round tailpipes. The diffuser area between them has narrowed. Also redesigned are the wheels, which can be ordered in the 16 to 19 inch format.

For the first time, the equipment package S line competition in the A4 series is also available. It includes several exclusive innovations - the blade in the front bumper and the rockfall protection strip in selenite silver, an RS rear spoiler in the A4 Avant and, among others, the new paint color Turbo Blue. The rear doors carry the four rings in the lower area - depending on the exterior color in silver or black. With the equipment package, the customer also receives sporty technology features - 19-inch wheels from Audi Sport, red brake calipers, sports suspension and LED headlights.

In the interior, the S line competition is based on the interior package S line black and expanded with RS carbon inlays, a three-spoke multifunction steering wheel and black part leather sport seats. Alternatively, customers can opt for S sports seats in Magmarot or in other colors.

In Germany, the presale of the Audi A4 sedan and the A4 Avant model year 2019 will begin in the third quarter of 2018

Last edited:
I wonder if this "S Line Competition" is the equivalent of the Black Edition?

Maybe it'll be imported, but under the name Black Edition - I'm living in hope here...... Black Edition already has the door rings, black (albeit not carbon) inlays and 19" rims right?

So I ordered an A4 Avant 3.0TDi 272 Black Edition at the end of April for early August delivery. Just been told it will be September at the earliest.

The salesman says it would be an upgraded engine to 286bhp and will be 2019 spec, which he seems to think means the facelift model. Not so sure on the latter.

Been promised a build date within the next 3 weeks.

Reactions: DaveW and WesT-gefül
I ordered an A4 Avant 3.0TDi 272 Black Edition at the end of April for early August delivery. Just been told it will be September at the earliest.

The salesman says it would be an upgraded engine to 286bhp and will be 2019 spec, which he seems to think means the facelift model. Not so sure on the latter, although Autocar says it goes on sale over the summer so he could be right.

I’ve told him if there are any upgrades to the standard spec I’ll expect this to be reflected in what I pay. Going to push for some additional freebies as compensation.

Been promised a build date within the next 3 weeks.

On another point... Very surprised by the guy above saying Audi no longer match broker prices. My dealership lease deal was £80 a month less than any broker could offer for three same spec.

On another point... Very surprised by the guy above saying Audi no longer match broker prices. My dealership lease deal was £80 a month less than any broker could offer for three same spec.

My understanding when I spoke to them and with a number of brokers was that Audi are no longer offering discounts to brokers so it is the same price to go direct through Audi with the added bonus of not paying a fee.

Reactions: Jsmills
In that case nobody has told dtd as they deal directly with the dealerships, just waiting for carwow to get back to me:
Screenshot 20180701 155842

Finance calculator updated. £2000 contribution the same but APR increased 0.3% to 3.5%.

Still shows 1.4 150ps but that’ll be for stock and MY18 cars still to be delivered.

Hopefully those of us with the 1.4 engine on order definitely get price protected when they convert our orders to the 2.0 150ps engine.

Hopefully those of us with the 1.4 engine on order definitely get price protected when they convert our orders to the 2.0 150ps engine.
You would expect the price to be protected - after all, none of this is our fault.

Reactions: Jsmills
You would expect the price to be protected - after all, none of this is our fault.

I have it in writing from Audi UK via my dealer that my 1.4 price will not change and that I am price protected.

Reactions: cuke2u and DaveW
Wonder how the 2.0 150ps will compare to 1.4 given the extra 100kg+ in weight. Hopefully they bump up the torque too

Wonder how the 2.0 150ps will compare to 1.4 given the extra 100kg+ in weight. Hopefully they bump up the torque too

Are you saying that they state the additional weight of just the 1.5 versus the 1.4 as being 100kg more? That's definitely not going to be the case, I'd imagine that the weight due to engine change is minimal as it'll just be a bore/stroke tweak basically. Unless they've suddenly decided to make most of it out of steel instead of aluminium, but that's very unlikely...

sorry, I thought it was mentioned the 2.0 was being detuned to 150ps rather than moving to the 1.5. Assuming its the same engine as the 190 2.0 tfsi it carries 130KG extra weight.. maybe I missed something... not unusual :rapture:

The new 2.0 tfsi 150ps would only be 60kg heavier as it would a Manual again.

Here’s a photo from a copy of the brochure I had when I owned a 2.0 tfsi 190ps Manual before they stopped selling it.

That is unless they have added some more stuff to the engine to make it cleaner.
B497B4FE 0351 4EA7 B2E0 56D0BB18413C

Reactions: Jsmills and Daggerit
Interesting.. wonder why the auto carries such a large gain...

1.4 Auto Saloon is on the current brochure @ 1375KG
2.0 Auto Saloon is on the current brochure @ 1505KG

That puts 55KG on 1.4 Auto vs Manual but 125KG on the 2.0 Manual vs Auto.... Strange..

Reactions: Daggerit
Yeah, I'm not convinced that's totally right, but then maybe there's a bunch more than just the engine changing. Still surprised by the claimed weight increase though, that's basically like adding a whole second engine to the vehicle weight!

Reactions: Jsmills and f1nny
Could be a miss print in the newer brochures as the first ever brochure shows 1405kg and 1510kg for the additional Quattro, which would make more sense.

D8F89CB4 81A2 4860 87E0 B9DC52CC168C

Also is you look that this link and go to the drop down menu where it says technical details it gives the weight for each variant. You can also download a pdf with loads more technical information on it like engine oil and coolant capacitys.

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/audi-a4-24

Reactions: cuke2u, Jsmills and Daggerit
Has anyone had an update from their dealer on build slots, potential delivery times or anything? Tracker still doesnt show a build date for me, still shows a 1.4 TFSI engine etc.

I spoke to dealer and was told delivery would be in 2019, so cancelled my order :frown new:

Checked my portal today and my expected delivery date has been put back to the end of September. Why do I get the feeling this won't be the last time it's delayed :(

Q4 build dates is what I heard.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Emailed the dealer today, replied with "nothing as yet".

Another dealership - where my wife got her Q2 last Saturday, is having a new car sale event. I think I'll put my name down for it and see what's available to drive away.

Latest update from my dealer today;

Hi Simon
Its fair to say it’s a difficult situation as the last thing we want to do is disappoint a customer. Audi UK have issued information which now includes a SOP ‘start of Production’ date. For your car with the 2.0TFSI 150PS engine and manual transmission the SOP is week 45, week commencing Monday 5th November. I can’t say when your car is going to be built until the factory gives it a production date and that date is then ‘Frozen for Production’ or confirmed. We would then work 4-6 weeks forward from that date for an estimated delivery to the showroom.

So IF we achieved week 45 build, the earliest we would see the car wound be end November/early December. However, I can ‘t tell for sure and I would expect a December delivery date would be more likely – subject to shipping and all other things being equal. It maybe that the car does not arrive until 2019, again, I just can’t be specific at this stage, for which I can only apologise.

I would understand if you did want to cancel under the circumstances. Over to you. Let me know what would suit you best?

Many Thanks

Reactions: f1nny
Latest update from my dealer today;

Hi Simon
Its fair to say it’s a difficult situation as the last thing we want to do is disappoint a customer. Audi UK have issued information which now includes a SOP ‘start of Production’ date. For your car with the 2.0TFSI 150PS engine and manual transmission the SOP is week 45, week commencing Monday 5th November. I can’t say when your car is going to be built until the factory gives it a production date and that date is then ‘Frozen for Production’ or confirmed. We would then work 4-6 weeks forward from that date for an estimated delivery to the showroom.

So IF we achieved week 45 build, the earliest we would see the car wound be end November/early December. However, I can ‘t tell for sure and I would expect a December delivery date would be more likely – subject to shipping and all other things being equal. It maybe that the car does not arrive until 2019, again, I just can’t be specific at this stage, for which I can only apologise.

I would understand if you did want to cancel under the circumstances. Over to you. Let me know what would suit you best?

Many Thanks
It's good that came back with some news. I'm in the same boat as you then, having ordered a 150ps TFSI. Any thoughts on what your next move is, cancellation wise?

The only thing keeping me hanging on is the fact the lease deal was so cheap, however i have noticed alot of the lease companies have gone quiet lately on social media... so potentially a bigger issue than we think.

It's good that came back with some news. I'm in the same boat as you then, having ordered a 150ps TFSI. Any thoughts on what your next move is, cancellation wise?

We dont need the car until 21st Dec when our current Polo GTI goes back so I am hopeful it will arrive on time. Challenge is wife really wants the A4 black edition and trying to place an order for something else from VAG will mean late delivery.

Plus we got a good deal on the car inc tech pack so ill keep the order for now. Going to write a letter to Audi UK and kick up some fuss see if that gets me anything.

According to the dealers, build week for 150PS manual is 5th November but S-tronic (150/190Ps) is 8th October, if anyone is waiting for an auto.