Locking car with second key while primary key inserted?

Liquidfusion-S3

I fall to peer pressure!
Reaction score
Not at home at the moment to test this but is it possible to lock the car with the second key while the car electrics is on with the primary key inserted?

Reason I ask is because I would like to update my sat nav maps but don't want to sit in the car for 30 minutes - 1 hour waiting for it to update.

Cant see why not. Done it on loads of cars but not the S3

Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3
I wouldn't recommend it, all it takes is someone to break the window and you'll probably never see it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't recommend it, all it takes is someone to break the window and you'll probably never see it again.

lol I appreciate the concern, however the car is parked on my driveway and my front office is right next to the car where I will be sitting on the computer and watching the car.
I'll remember to keep Lucille on standby

41whiQkNioL.jpg

Reactions: batch and azibux1
You can turn the car off mid-update and it'll just resume when you next start the car...

Reactions: azibux1 and Liquidfusion-S3
Reactions: Jassyo06 and Liquidfusion-S3
lol I appreciate the concern, however the car is parked on my driveway and my front office is right next to the car where I will be sitting on the computer and watching the car.
I'll remember to keep Lucille on standby

41whiQkNioL.jpg

"Well........what do we have here?"

Jeffrey Dean Morgan is a good actor, when you see him in the Walking Dead you want to smash his face in.

Reactions: batch and Liquidfusion-S3
If the A3 is the same as the A1, it will allow you to lock the doors with the 2nd key if the first key is in the ignition. But you may have to use the 2nd key in the driver's door lock to actuate the central locking instead of just pressing the lock button on the key.

Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3
managed to update the audi European maps, took about 1 hour 30 minutes, yep had to use 2nd key instead of the button, button didn't work

thanks all

Reactions: azibux1
managed to update the audi European maps, took about 1 hour 30 minutes, yep had to use 2nd key instead of the button, button didn't work

thanks all

How do you check if the ones in the car need updating? Only got mine in March.

How do you check if the ones in the car need updating? Only got mine in March.
it also states in the mmi information in system, will tell you what map ver you have

i had 2017 before uk, now it's 2017/2018

Reactions: Tom.H
I don't think this works.

My sister had a small side impact to the drivers door... drove off the roundabout to a safe place and got out to ex change details.... car didn't auto unlock but obviously the drivers door unlocked as she got out.

Anyways she left key in ignition and got out and shut the drivers door (which is unlocked now as she opened it.... others remained locked). When she went to get back in it appears that the impact broke the mechanism so couldn't get in. Called me up and I went with the 2nd key.... didn't work AT ALL!! Think this is because the primary key was still in the ignition at position 2 engone off. Wanted to unlock the other doors to get in. Called the AA in the end to get us back into the car... then once in took primary key out and end key worked! Was annoying but what can you do haha.

it worked for me, mine is a 2015 plate, worked both with ignition on or off

i did it ignition on to run my aircon cycle to clean the aircon with those can spray things

and ignition off to update my car maps.

Not really sure why it doesn't work for you.

Reactions: amit87