Lightly modding 1.8t

duffy78

Reaction score
Had my A4 for just over a year now. Have been actively renewing and doing general maintenance to make sure that when I wanted up the power a bit it was going to be a reliable base.

Now I've been researching recaps for a while and have decided on APR for two reasons, switchable maps and the fact that it is a progressive map rather than an aggressive one.

A few cheaply upgrades that will be going on at the same time are a forge tip, tt225 injectors and also a decat pipe. This means I can go for the stage 2+ map.

I was wondering if there are any other relatively cheap upgrades I can stick on? Happy with stock filter and exhaust. Should I be looking at 2.0t coil packs and larger gaps on plugs?

Forgot to mention its a BEX so has a twin intercooler setup as standard.

Go to r tech and you won't go far wrong. Are the standard intercoolers up to stage 2 maps?

Rtech are too far away plus I want switchable maps.

Stage two is the limit of the turbo / intercoolers an the apr map. After that its front mount, new turbo and lots of ££££££'s

Last edited:
ihave the 190t and been looking at maps on standard vehicle - r-tech suggested 200-210bhp and around 225lbs whichis an impressive increase (torque and the improvement that suggests in drive as long as it retains 'smooth').

Can you let me know what you are expcting from the TIP and 225 injectors (are you getting a 2nd hand set off a TT or S3/Leon or otherwise i'd expect even non oem to work out expensive)??

Thanks

You may not be able to go apr as when i enquired and took my car to them for it to be mapped they said there was no map written for our ecu code!! Alot of people like r tech on here but if you want to be able to adjust your map to suit you them go revo as i have and you an use the sps softwareto adjust boost, timing and fueling! Ive had no issues with my map what so ever and it quick as for a stage 2! I got 242bhp on the rollers

Hmmm, so they don't do the bex. Shame, I did question them why the website only had one variation of the 1.8t on it for the B6. Looks like I'll be going to someone else then.

I got the injectors off eBay using the part no for a TT225, they were £70 for 4. Getting them cleaned, tested and serviced for about £15 an injector.

Have a look into revo is a decent bit of mappinggg

Well I've sent my ecu number to APR so they can check there database to see if my car is mappable by them. The 190 engine does show up on the apr Australia website so I am still hopeful.

Although it looks like the bex 190 engine already has updated injectors compared to the lower bhp models so my TT225 injectors were a waste of a purchase.

Not sure weather to stick them back on eBay at a loss to get shot are get the refurbed and sell them on then.

I have bex engine and needed my injectors as standard ones couldnt cope with fueling! So dont sell them just yet! Just to let you no my firend has a apr map and my revo pulls harder and runs better

Re the revo comparison, suggestion is the revo is quite aggressive with the apr smooth. I'm not after a big kick in the back, just a bit more shove.

Re sports cat. I'm ditching the cat altogether and going for a test pipe.

Thanks

My power is very smooth just have a nice amount there! Even having 250 the audi still feels sluggish for its size needs 300+ to kick you in the back! I also now want to go for a test pipe as think it will benefit massively from this! Mine failed mot with he sports cat anyway so not worth a ****! Will be buying a test pipe also

Thanks for the feedback. How did you know you needed the injectors?

What I mean is did you know you needed them before you had the remap or was it something that came about because of it?

I was told by kev at revo that i would need them so i bought some, then when i got to the place to get it mapped the first thing he asked was if i had the injectors he had mapped one 2 days previous which couldnt obtain the fuel needed to run the map so had to send the guy away until he got injectors! I got second hand ones and had them cleaned at a place near me! Ive had no issues since having the map in anyway! None of this power surging as i read quite commonly happens on here with other maps! And to be honest love the fact i can mess about with the map once i fit and remove diff mods!

Thanks. I'll drop revo an email tomorrow to ask about there different stage maps.

My total hardware will be forge tip, test pipe and the injectors. I may fit a piper panel filter yet. I've already replaced the DV with the updated oem one.

Thats all yu need for a stage 2 map, you must get a uprated panel filter though, i have a bsr optiflow kit and works well! People on here say it is pronemto heat soak but it doesnt affect me so far! Have a secondry cold feed running to it so gets plenty cold air