Leon Cupra R vs S3 vs 1.8T Quattro?!

Cossie_boy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im sure this thread has been done many times before, buuuuuuuuuut...

Ive currently got an 02 plate A3 1.8T Quattro Sport, its a 4 door which I like as its different, and its has every possible extra, literally!

I had it chipped a while ago, so its supposedly about 210 bhp, faster than before, but, still doesnt do it like my Cossie did! Which standt to reason.

So at the weekend I went and looked at an 04 Leon Cupra R, 225 bhp, it did go very well indeed, really pulled, but im glad it was a wet day when I drove it as it just felt really dodgy, spinning and struggling for traction, I know this can at times feel fun, but it didnt to me anymore, and on getting back in mine it made my mind up I want to stick with 4WD!

So the question, does the S3 feel the same as the R, or does the 4WD set up weight make that much difference? I will soon try an S3 to find out, but was just interested!

Finally, once again you can never tell until you drive it, but would the S3 225 feel a lot quicker than mine with its 210 bhp?

The S3's are really growing on me, but my car is a bit of a one off with the toys, so im not sure how much id have to spend to get the performance on par and then keep my four doors?!

Thanks in advance for any info

Cheers

Dave

Id say build quality plus the 4wd makes the S3 a far superior car to the Leon (apart from standard brakes)

get a remapped S3 and you'll love it, plenty fast enough and traction whatever the weather. I saw off a Cayman last night from some traffic lights as it was wet! he wasnt too pleased!

Aky said:
Id say build quality plus the 4wd makes the S3 a far superior car to the Leon (apart from standard brakes)

I'd say the way the Leon drives, alone, makes it superior to the S3... the general dynamics of the chassis was head and shoulders over the S3's I've driven, a huge amount of work went into developing the Leon R. Traction was never a problem on mine as long as you had good tyres (F1's seemed to suit it fine) and that was running 270hp. Find yourself one with the optional Recaro's and its a fantastic piece of kit.

S3 no question, it puts some of the power some of the time to the rear wheels, I'd rather that than the FWD Leon.

I like the BMW 130 suggestion above though, they are cracking cars and loads of fun to drive.

I'm also thinking of upgrading and am also looking at the leon R too.. but if i'm going to get a fwd hatch i think i'd go for a civic type-r.. though i'm 20 this month so still think i want something a bit mental, and a touch chavvy before i end up with something diesel..=]

This board will always be biased towards the Audi, but I'd have to say the Leon Cupra R too, again because it drives SO much better than the S3, it just feels tighter, more responsive and you feel more in contact with the car.

Just a shame they dont do a 3 door...

The ibiza Cupra would be great hard to get hold of though i heard?

Jason

Got a mate looking to sell his Revo Leon R (http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=147649) if you are interested.

Would just say that the Leon is a good fun car (Mrs had a Cupra) and was a hoot to drive, sometimes got a bit squirmy under braking or in the wet but other wise all good. The interior is plasticky and pretty basic, the good thing was that she had leather seats which made it a bit more classier, however it is no match for the S3.

Personally i would buy another S3 compared with buying a 'sorted' Leon R, quite simply because I would.

Having driven both personally i'd prefer the leon R, there isn't as much grip in the rain but you will only notice it if you're ham-footed or if you're trying to drive like a numpty in the wet anyway

S3 mate, all round package. 4WD, all weather conditions - sorted.

How anyone can say a leon is beyond me. It may have a similar dash but the plastics have the look of a hardened bin liner.

Cupras are for cheap people who cant afford the S3 and then try to make it sound good by saying that its basically the same as an audi. NO IT ISNT.

225 bhp (or more) FWD may be exciting but its also stupid.

Forgot to add. If you want a car with an exciting drive get a type-r

are we taking civic type R 2001-2006? might be looking at these in the coming future for around 7-8K.

how do they compare to the S3?

Kef9 said:

I agree, my Integra Type R was awesome for a fun drive, the S3 is still good fun but in a different way

If i had to make the decision again, it would be a tough one, but I think it would have (still making my mind up as I type) to be an S3 :)

jonS3 said:
I agree, my Integra Type R was awesome for a fun drive, the S3 is still good fun but in a different way

If i had to make the decision again, it would be a tough one, but I think it would have (still making my mind up as I type) to be an S3 :)

edit: saying that though, having owned one for a year, I'd own one again, I think its a car that everyone needs to own at some point....

In my opinion, it really does depend on what you want in a car! Let's be honest, the S3 is not perfect and in fact, it often scares me...wooden handling and no feedback through the wheel at all. At least in a 205 gti, clio 182, golf gti, focus rs, CTR, leon cupra and scooby, you know when you're stepping out of line, in the S3, you're always wondering...the feedback just isn't there in my opinion. However, it is built like a tank, covers miles well and you will not lose a shed load of money over the years you own it...which do you want?

Kef9 said:

Phew, luckily this comment made up for the drivel contained in your previous post about Leons, what a load of horse ********!

But your right, I raced a type R NSX this lunchtime, all I can say is WOW!

He nipped off a junction near Cambridge and straight onto the roundabout, the NSX handled superbly, was incredibly sharp. As we pulled up to the lights I booted it and he laughed and just annhilated me, was worth it just to see it pull away, when we got to the next lights I asked him what it sounded like when the vtec kicked in but he explained as it was a built up area would be stupid and suicidal to go that fast, then he toddled off....

At the end of the day any one that knows about s3'(8l) will tell you there great cars, but it wil neva be a subaru.

But in my opinoin the s3 is the best worlds of a nice interior, good power (once mapped) and a good handling car. If you want the best out of it lower it would gould quality kit, and you have very good handling car with all the bits. Insurance is good as well i think compared to the comp!

mbs3 said:
At the end of the day any one that knows about s3'(8l) will tell you there great cars, but it wil neva be a subaru.

But in my opinoin the s3 is the best worlds of a nice interior, good power (once mapped) and a good handling car. If you want the best out of it lower it would gould quality kit, and you have very good handling car with all the bits. Insurance is good as well i think compared to the comp!

I think the above translates into; 'it's not quite a half decent performance car but it has a nice interior (if you like piano finished plastic), handles like a spoon (unless lowered), and doesn't top the list in terms of chav appeal'! Correct me if I'm wrong and go and get a LCR, FRS or CTR!

mbs3 said:

Thankfully!
I wouldn't have one of those Chav Chariots, with it's silly exhaust burble and 'looks only a mother could love' within 100 yards of my driveway!

Sadly, the Classic Imprezas were nice to drive if you could get past the nasty interior...but the image is below the floor now...and I'd be ashamed to be seen in one, such are the depths they've sunk to.

The RS Turbo for the new millenium...sad really.

Hell, I'd rather be seen in a Skoda! :lmfao:

Back on topic...

I'd take the S3.
The brakes are better on the Cupra, but the chassis isn't that much better...it still understeers everywhere...everywhere that it isn't torque-steering that is.

At least with the S3, you can get on the gas early, make the rear work and come out of the bends of full power.
Cross country, I'd still take the S3 despite ist faults...especially as an all-weather proposition.

I like the Cupra...and the practicality of 5 doors is a plus...
But for me, the S3 would still be the more usable.

Or, looking somewhat leftfield...
A Mk4 Golf R32...which is vastly better than any of the others - if you can fit in the seats and stomach the fuel consumption.
At least you get decent throttle response and a spine tingling induction note...something Thomas Dyson's finest 1.8T couldn't muster.

god_thats_quick said:
I like the BMW 130 suggestion above though, they are cracking cars and loads of fun to drive.
Totally agree.
You could always get a 330d and remap it,250bhp,500nm,now they really are fun.:)

I had a Leon Cupra R for 2 1/2 yrs before my A3 and I have to say I loved it and still do, even enough to go back to one fom the A3 3.2 that I have now.
The one thing it had compared to the Audi was carachter. 225bhp or 265 as mine was is a lot to put through the front wheels, but this makes it interesting and alive, OK you'll never win the traffic light GP's but once moving it is a very potent tool. I also think Seat got the styling pretty much spot on, unlike it's replacement which is dull and uninspiring.
Before the Leon I had an Accord type R which was a fantastic car also, but I really did get tired of the Vtec engine, too much like hard work keeping it over 5800rpm to get any performance out of it. Test drove the new CTR before getting the Audi and that was the same

Back to your original question, i don't think an S3 will drive that much different to yours although you will feel more special being an S3. Why don't you try an 8P 3.2. Some of the earlier ones are S3 money now with 250 bhp and an addictive engine noise also it rides on the later platform

Kef9 said:
Cupras are for cheap people who cant afford the S3 and then try to make it sound good by saying that its basically the same as an audi. NO IT ISNT.

Don't the leons hold their value better..?

And are now more expensive than the S3..?

I'd rather have the better car. not the better badge :)

And is why i'd have the CTR - Import. in white. :D

Interesting thread, I haven't driven either car for a while but both of them are possibly on the list.
I felt the Leon R had tighter more precise steering and more feedback altogether, plus the Brembo brakes are better.

The interior is nowhere near as good as the S3 though, and quattro does make a huge difference in the wet or damp, especially if you want to run 260+bhp.
I think I'd go for the S3 but only with uprated suspension, and if you have to budget for that and a remap, plus uprated brakes etc. then you're not far off A3 3.2 quattro money (dropping down to £12 -13k now).

So for me its a question of finding one thats already been "sorted" with low miles, or going for a 2004 A3 3.2. Ju, how do you rate the newer car - presumably it handles and steers better than a standard 8L S3?
It just needs a decent aftermarket exhaust to make it sound like an R32.

Kef9 said:

Just because someone cant afford The AMAZING S3 dont mean their cheap!

Thats like me saying snobs like you should be driving a bmw! (nothing against anyone who owns one)

Never driven the 8L S3 so I can't compare the two. The 3.2 is a little nose heavy and so does affect the handling when pushing on a bit, I find the ride quality fine , but as I run 19's, it can be a little uncompromising.
Surprisingly for me the though, thefavourite thing about my car is the one I was most aprehensive about and that's the DSG box. With the DSG box and the normally aspirated 3.2 engine, the car just keeps on pulling relentlessly and is very quick!

As for the exhaust, it sounds fine as it is IMO, so a milltek is not really neccesary