LED Headlights

Callum Jarvis

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, just a quick question!

I have a 2015 A3 S-Line with the Xenon lights. I was wondering if it would be possible to retrofit the full LED headlights ? I've looked on the forum but couldn't find a clear answer. Is it simply a case of plug and play with some VCDS or would it require additional hardware other than the actual headlights ?

Thanks!! :laughing:

As far as A3/S3 goes, ive only had my current FL S3.
Someone more knowledgeable than me could tell you if LEDs were available on the PFL.
If not, the FL headlights are a different shape.

There hugely expensive from Audi yer looking at the best part of £2000 new, whether you can get them on ebay etc they should be far cheaper, l think it's doable via VCDS and some extra wiring @DJAlix should explain what's what

Reactions: jungle650
Unfortunately it’s not a plug n play process. You will need to make wiring changes, coding changes and depending on what modules you have in your car, you might need to change your BCM (not normally) and or Range Control. Not a simple job but totally possible.

Reactions: HS333, iandressc, Mark_86 and 4 others
From memory it has been done a few times but there were problems getting the full beam to work, that's maybe why a new BCM module is required.
As far as A3/S3 goes, ive only had my current FL S3.
Someone more knowledgeable than me could tell you if LEDs were available on the PFL.
If not, the FL headlights are a different shape.
All PFL RS3's came with them as std and was an option across the range.

I've got them and they're fantastic, better than the xenons in my view.

Reactions: Mark_86, Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
From memory it has been done a few times but there were problems getting the full beam to work, that's maybe why a new BCM module is required.

All PFL RS3's came with them as std and was an option across the range.

I've got them and they're fantastic, better than the xenons in my view.

Cheers, wasn't sure about the PFLs

Reactions: iandressc, davc and Jassyo06
From comparisons done at the time vs now - the PFL LEDs aren't really that much better than the Xenons (if at all). The FL LEDs are might brighter and better though.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
From comparisons done at the time vs now - the PFL LEDs aren't really that much better than the Xenons (if at all). The FL LEDs are might brighter and better though.
That's purely down to the advancement of led lighting technology and nothing else, the led headlights on the PFL have there very own unique design though and sets them apart, where the face lift headlights are the same even the matrix headlights are almost identical barring the the 3rd led cluster of which only a Audi anorak would notice

Reactions: DJAlix, Audi Bairn and jungle650
That's purely down to the advancement of led lighting technology and nothing else, the led headlights on the PFL have there very own unique design though and sets them apart, where the face lift headlights are the same even the matrix headlights are almost identical barring the the 3rd led cluster of which only a Audi anorak would notice

Even the bleedin' FL indicators blind folk they're that bright :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: MattSedg, Tom.H and Jassyo06

Emphasis on “if at all,” IMO. I wanted the LED units in order to get the proper looking turn signal, but I absolutely feel a projector, whether HID or halogen, is a better quality headlamp than the PFL LED.

Reactions: cemerson
Emphasis on “if at all,” IMO. I wanted the LED units in order to get the proper looking turn signal, but I absolutely feel a projector, whether HID or halogen, is a better quality headlamp than the PFL LED.
The luminosity from a frickin candle is better than a halogen bulb, atrocious things belong in the dark ages no pun intended lol indeed they've been used in car headlights since the day l was born yeah the halogen bulb was first introduced in 1962

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Even the bleedin' FL indicators blind folk they're that bright :tearsofjoy:

They are rather bright aren't they!

I blinded some poor person the other night, was a bit misty which must have confused the matrix, they didn't pick up the oncoming headlights and stayed on :grimacing::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
The luminosity from a frickin candle is better than a halogen bulb, atrocious things belong in the dark ages no pun intended lol indeed they've been used in car headlights since the day l was born yeah the halogen bulb was first introduced in 1962

As a reflector unit, I agree. There are some decent halogen projectors out there. The color temperature is muted, sure, but the projector offsets that a bit. My mom's Touareg has fine lamps, and they're halogen projectors.

Thanks guys! Yeah didn’t think it would be an easy install! Love the indicators on the LED headlights....the normal ones age a little S#$t.

You spot Matrix lights by the indicators... that's the best way :p Either way though, if you buy units for the PFL car, don't expect them to be any brighter than the Xenons is what I'm saying. I don't know that they'd have gone and retro-fitted the old part number with brighter LEDs.

You spot Matrix lights by the indicators... that's the best way :p Either way though, if you buy units for the PFL car, don't expect them to be any brighter than the Xenons is what I'm saying. I don't know that they'd have gone and retro-fitted the old part number with brighter LEDs.
Oh l know the matrix lights have cascading indicators but he haw else to differentiate,but as a upgrade the PFL LED headlights do improve the aesthetics of the car quite a bit, so if they could be sourced at a good price, l see no harm in getting them, sticking point as always is the cost

Reactions: iandressc
I don't think the PFL led's give you anything more than the xenons do on dipped beam but on high beam because it's is a crisper light, you get more detail.
The fixed cornering lights also light up the side of the road and pavement on corners and that light extends back further than 90° to the side of the car. They also light up on both sides around 20-25 mph and below.
What with the indicator that lights up all the road signs, the visual look when there off/on and the fact you get high beam assist as standard, I think they are an upgrade to xenons,.
Worthy of an expensive retrofit, probably not, but if you already have them then it's a win win

Reactions: Jassyo06

I remember them coming in. They were actually very bright and white at the time compared to the old sealed beam units. I love LED headlights, wish I had them.

I don't think the PFL led's give you anything more than the xenons do on dipped beam but on high beam because it's is a crisper light, you get more detail.
The fixed cornering lights also light up the side of the road and pavement on corners and that light extends back further than 90° to the side of the car. They also light up on both sides around 20-25 mph and below.
What with the indicator that lights up all the road signs, the visual look when there off/on and the fact you get high beam assist as standard, I think they are an upgrade to xenons,.
Worthy of an expensive retrofit, probably not, but if you already have them then it's a win win
They must have introduced HBA as std in the 2016 MY as my car doesn't have it.

I have driven both xenon and led equipped A3's back to back and the light output was noticeably better from the leds. Plus I've noticed my eyes aren't as tired on long journeys.

My Xenons had the variable range headlights & the cornering lights anyway. The 'standard' S-line Xenons didn't though, true.

Hey guys and gals, just a quick question!

I have a 2015 A3 S-Line with the Xenon lights. I was wondering if it would be possible to retrofit the full LED headlights ? I've looked on the forum but couldn't find a clear answer. Is it simply a case of plug and play with some VCDS or would it require additional hardware other than the actual headlights ?

Thanks!! :laughing:

Speak to @t8ups

Reactions: iandressc
They must have introduced HBA as std in the 2016 MY as my car doesn't have it.

I have driven both xenon and led equipped A3's back to back and the light output was noticeably better from the leds. Plus I've noticed my eyes aren't as tired on long journeys.

Can’t have been 2016 since mine is 16plate MY17 and the HBA was an option on the LED Headlights, when I ordered it in December 2015 (Which I both ticked).

Can’t have been 2016 since mine is 16plate MY17 and the HBA was an option on the LED Headlights, when I ordered it in December 2015 (Which I both ticked).
Maybe it came as part of a different package then:shrug:

Maybe it came as part of a different package then:shrug:

Think it was part of the dynamic light assist pack for the xenons which included corner lights, adaptive/bending xenons and has a similar function to matrix leds which can manipulate the high beams to not to dazzle the car infront.

Think it was part of the dynamic light assist pack for the xenons which included corner lights, adaptive/bending xenons and has a similar function to matrix leds which can manipulate the high beams to not to dazzle the car infront.
The Audi adaptive Xenons headlights didn't swivel or dance, they only had a extra bulb in the enclosure situated next to the indicators ie like fixed cornering lights, nothing remotely close to how the matrix function hight beam assists was a £195 option with the xenons

The Audi adaptive Xenons headlights didn't swivel or dance, they only had a extra bulb in the enclosure situated next to the indicators ie like fixed cornering lights, nothing remotely close to how the matrix function hight beam assists was a £195 option with the xenons

I’m talking about the dynamic light assist pack for the xenons which was an extra cost which did include the swivel into corners and did have a semi - matrix function where the part of the high beam could block the light path for onward cars. It was a very rare option, and price since it needed lane assist pack aswell, this pack blocked the need for high beam assist since it was already part of the pack.

Adaptive Xenon + Variable Light Range = Matrix Function

Attachments

• 361F2EE9-5F77-4C12-B3B9-FBD98FFCA768.png
    361F2EE9-5F77-4C12-B3B9-FBD98FFCA768.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 146
Last edited:
I’m talking about the dynamic light assist pack for the xenons which was an extra cost which did include the swivel into corners and did have a semi - matrix function where the part of the high beam could block the light path for onward cars. It was a very rare option, this pack blocked the need for high beam assist since it was already part of the pack.
Never ever seen this on any Audi configurator ever l knew every option available on the pre face lift car and how a projector type xenon can block out part of it's full beam is beyond me, as its just one bulb which projects light through one lens, besides all of that, there is no room for a true adapter/swivel function in the pre face lift headlamp enclosure

Never ever seen this on any Audi configurator ever l knew every option available on the pre face lift car and how a projector type xenon can block out part of it's full beam is beyond me, as its just one bulb which projects light through one lens, besides all of that, there is no room for a true adapter/swivel function in the pre face lift headlamp enclosure

Well the PFL xenons where classed as bi-Xenon where the projector is just a single projector for both high and low beam. Where there is a shutter which blocked the top portion of the beam when in low beam mode. Flash your high beam Xenon unit and you can hear the mechanical shutter noise as it moves up. The variable light function added in another shutter which blocked light for the inner edges so it can block light hitting the vehicle in front but still light up full beam around the vehicle. Like I said it’s a very rare option as many didn’t know what it really did or was.

I’m sure I can find a video which shows the swivelling lights and the matrix ish function on the pre-facelift vehicle. This same feature was available on the mqb golf r PFL.

Excellent - I went out recently in my mates Mark 3 Golf GTI - That literally is like having candles in there - Could hardly see in front of the bonnet

I didn't have this on my PFL, but a friend did on his Golf R. The lenses actually swivelled with the steering, quite cool really, and I wish I had spec'ed them with hindsight.

I still have the brochure from 2015, this is what it said:

PXA
Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights. The dynamic cornering light identifies the course of the road
from the movement of the steering wheel. The headlights swivel into the corner – depending on the steering angle
– to provide variable illumination of the curve; navigation or speed-dependent distribution of light from headlights
for town, junction, country and motorway, in a speed range from approximately 6 to 68mph. Only in combination
with Light and rain sensor package (PU8), Auto-dimming rear-view mirror (PU7) or Comfort package (WBI)

I didn't have this on my PFL, but a friend did on his Golf R. The lenses actually swivelled with the steering, quite cool really, and I wish I had spec'ed them with hindsight.

I still have the brochure from 2015, this is what it said:

PXA
Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights. The dynamic cornering light identifies the course of the road
from the movement of the steering wheel. The headlights swivel into the corner – depending on the steering angle
– to provide variable illumination of the curve; navigation or speed-dependent distribution of light from headlights
for town, junction, country and motorway, in a speed range from approximately 6 to 68mph. Only in combination
with Light and rain sensor package (PU8), Auto-dimming rear-view mirror (PU7) or Comfort package (WBI)

Yep I’ve still got an e book of the s3 Saloon november 2015 brochure, look at my previous post where’ve I’ve attached an image of the brochure. I guess it turns out some people don’t really know all of the options when they claim they do. :shrug:

Reactions: Dan Halen
Well the PFL xenons where classed as bi-Xenon where the projector is just a single projector for both high and low beam. Where there is a shutter which blocked the top portion of the beam when in low beam mode. Flash your high beam Xenon unit and you can hear the mechanical shutter noise as it moves up. The variable light function added in another shutter which blocked light for the inner edges so it can block light hitting the vehicle in front but still light up full beam around the vehicle. Like I said it’s a very rare option as many didn’t know what it really did or was.

I’m sure I can find a video which shows the swivelling lights and the matrix ish function on the pre-facelift vehicle. This same feature was available on the mqb golf r PFL.

I think you mean this copied from June 2015 Brochure:

Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights. The dynamic cornering light identifies the course of the road from

the movement of the steering wheel. The headlights swivel into the corner – depending on the steering angle – to

provide variable illumination of the curve; navigation or speed-dependent distribution of light from headlights for town,

junction, country and motorway, in a speed range from approximately 6 to 68mph. Only in combination with Light and

rain sensor package (PU8), Auto-dimming rear-view mirror (PU7) or Comfort package (WBI)

- - - n n £295.00

8G1

High-beam assist.
Working within system limits, automatically detects the headlights of oncoming traffic, the rear

lights of other road users and built-up areas and depending on the traffic situation, the high beam is automatically

switched on or off. Also available as part of Audi active lane assist (PCB) and Driver assistance package (PCE). Only in

combination with Auto-dimming rear-view mirror (PU7) or Comfort package (WBI). Not available in combination with

Xenon light package or Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights

n n n n n £100.00

8G2

Variable headlight range control.
Upgrades the functionality of the Adaptive lights with the aid of a camera which

detects other road users or light sources and allows infinitely variable adaptation of the headlight range between main

and dipped beam. Only in combination with either Audi active lane assist (PCB) or Audi active lane assist and Audi side

assist (7Y5) or Driver assistance package (PCE), plus either Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights (PXA) or

Xenon light package (WB6) plus either auto-dimming rear-view mirror with Light and rain sensor package (PU7) or

Comfort package (WBI)

n n n n n £75.00

I think you mean this copied from June 2015 Brochure:

Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights. The dynamic cornering light identifies the course of the road from

the movement of the steering wheel. The headlights swivel into the corner – depending on the steering angle – to

provide variable illumination of the curve; navigation or speed-dependent distribution of light from headlights for town,

junction, country and motorway, in a speed range from approximately 6 to 68mph. Only in combination with Light and

rain sensor package (PU8), Auto-dimming rear-view mirror (PU7) or Comfort package (WBI)

- - - n n £295.00

8G1

High-beam assist.
Working within system limits, automatically detects the headlights of oncoming traffic, the rear

lights of other road users and built-up areas and depending on the traffic situation, the high beam is automatically

switched on or off. Also available as part of Audi active lane assist (PCB) and Driver assistance package (PCE). Only in

combination with Auto-dimming rear-view mirror (PU7) or Comfort package (WBI). Not available in combination with

Xenon light package or Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights

n n n n n £100.00

8G2

Variable headlight range control.
Upgrades the functionality of the Adaptive lights with the aid of a camera which

detects other road users or light sources and allows infinitely variable adaptation of the headlight range between main

and dipped beam. Only in combination with either Audi active lane assist (PCB) or Audi active lane assist and Audi side

assist (7Y5) or Driver assistance package (PCE), plus either Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights (PXA) or

Xenon light package (WB6) plus either auto-dimming rear-view mirror with Light and rain sensor package (PU7) or

Comfort package (WBI)

n n n n n £75.00

Yeah I’m on about how the adaptive Headlights with the swivelling around bends exist along with the variable light range which is a similar system to the matrix Headlights. But someone on here claims such option/options didn’t exist it and how they can’t fathom how it would work with a Xenon projector unit.

Yeah I’m on about how the adaptive Headlights with the swivelling around bends exist along with the variable light range which is a similar system to the matrix Headlights. But someone on here claims such option/options didn’t exist it and how they can’t fathom how it would work with a Xenon projector unit.

Xenons on US VWs have been bi-xenon in this manner since, like, forever. The Touareg and Phaeton started HIDs in the US for VW; I can't recall whether they were bi-xenon. The A5 Golf and Jetta, however, had bi-xenons available from 2005. They weren't adaptive at that time (side to side movement), but they did have auto-level (up-down movement), and the high-beam did function via shutter within the projector. The xenon option has since become adaptive, and shutters remain.

That's VW, but they're generally a day later than Audi for tech, so... yeah.

Yep I’ve still got an e book of the s3 Saloon november 2015 brochure, look at my previous post where’ve I’ve attached an image of the brochure. I guess it turns out some people don’t really know all of the options when they claim they do. :shrug:

OK matrix man................yer talkin gash no xenon bulb swivels left to right on a A3/s3 NONE IT MAY go up or down according to traffic in front in conjunction with camera.........but end of.....l do know what l am talking about

OK matrix man................yer talkin gash no xenon bulb swivels left to right on a A3/s3 NONE IT MAY go up or down according to traffic in front in conjunction with camera.........but end of.....l do know what l am talking about

I guess myself, Audi brochure, and others are all wrong and you sir are the correct. Because you the man with the Ph.d when it comes to options on the 8v. Sorry Dr Jas :)

Have a watch Dr J,

Look at 2.46 and you can clearly see the lights swivelling left, right. Just admit that you didnt know of this feature. :whistle2:

Have a watch Dr J,

Look at 2.46 and you can clearly see the lights swivelling left, right. Just admit that you didnt know of this feature. :whistle2:

AYE ok mate show me it on the old Audi configurator stating the xenons swivel from left to right, l had the the gash adaptive xenons on my last car,and all it had over the standard lights was a Halogen bulb cornering light.....you turn the steering wheel L & R......it lit up either side,also show me where the the xenons block part of there beam with traffic in front and also from oncoming traffic...getting bored now.....and that's not like me...honest

AYE ok mate show me it on the old Audi configurator stating the xenons swivel from left to right, l had the the gash adaptive xenons on my last car,and all it had over the standard lights was a Halogen bulb cornering light.....you turn the steering wheel L & R......it lit up either side,also show me where the the xenons block part of there beam with traffic in front and also from oncoming traffic...getting bored now.....and that's not like me...honest

Dr, Why should I you an old brochure ? I’m showing you what the brochure said at the time I ordered my s3. Will do exactly that doc.

Dr, Why should I you an old brochure ? I’m showing you what the brochure said at the time I ordered my s3. Will do exactly that doc.

l liked your post by way just for your Persistence mate in this matter,l also just to make sure l consulted my son who sold Audi's for 4 years on this subject and the option didnt even exist

1. You had the standard xenon head lights with Led DRLS
2.You had the Adaptive headlights with a cornering bulbs in conjunction with high beam assist,you couldnt have one without the other....hence rare and expensive
3.LED headlights with dynamic indicators had High beam assist as standard....