KW v1 Coilovers HELP!

a3_Ollie

Reaction score
Looking to purchase some soon, I know they are amazing coilies with good ride etc but how low do they go? I'm looking for a nice low ride height as well as performance. If anyone knows or has pictures let me know!! Running 18"s and wouldn't mind a bit of tuck but do they go low enough??

Short answer no.. You'll struggle to tuck. They are made for performance not slamming

Reactions: s3_trev
As smurfworth says.

Not for running on the ground but will provide much better handling.

Reactions: Alex_Wil
They're very similar, and have the same drop, as AP's which I had on my A3 and even on the lowest they could go they weren't tucking.

Brilliant coilovers though, just wish they went that 10mm or so lower!

What about the ride quality? Are they better than standard shocks? I currently run ARB + ALK and found that it sometimes is a bit crashy. Town driving is fine but I plan on to do 16h trip across europe next year and really need the car to be a bit more comfortable. So my questions is V1s good enough to improve ride yet give better handling or I shall look for something else?

What about the ride quality? Are they better than standard shocks? I currently run ARB + ALK and found that it sometimes is a bit crashy. Town driving is fine but I plan on to do 16h trip across europe next year and really need the car to be a bit more comfortable. So my questions is V1s good enough to improve ride yet give better handling or I shall look for something else?

I think the ride quality of the kW's is better than the stock suspension.

The stock shocks are pretty wobbly,and not well controlled,and the kW's should remove some of that and provide better body control.

Just one more questions will the V1s/v2 help to reduce understeer a bit?

I think ARBs make the biggest difference,followed by coilovers,and finally an ALK.

So,yes,they will definitely help.

Reactions: RedDejavu
V1 or V2 would be better if I'm after a bit more comfort than standard shocks?

v1 and v2 are a lot simpler to set up than the v3's which have bump and rebound adjustment and do require a fair bit of time to get right.

I personally found the ride on the v3's to be a lot better than stock,but I havent tried the v1/v2s.
I'd expect them to be a bit softer than the v3's as the Clubsports I've got are great for shaking your fillings out.

Do a search, I posted on this recently in another thread, with pictures as well.

I posted this in my thread if it helps?

Choosing A Kit.

You can break that down into 5 categories, which are.
1.Street use where you just want to lower the car and to have a firmer and sportier drive on normal roads.
2. Fast road use where you want to lower the car and to have a firmer drive but also to be able to adjust the ride quality slightly according to the roads that you use.
3. Fast road as well as track use where you not only want to lower the car but also want to have full control over the damper settings.
4. Serious track use where you aren’t concerned too much about the use on the public roads and are a serious track user needing racecar like handling.
5.Racing and motorsport use where the car is raced and not generally used on public roads, generally the car would be trailered to a track or event.

Once you have decided what the car is going to be used for then you can decide on what suspension upgrade is going to be required.

Let’s go through the categories.
1.Purely street use requires either a Street Comfort kit or a Variant 1 kit which gives a lower ride height as standard but also allows some height adjustment.
2.Fast road use requires a Variant 2 kit, which gives a lower ride height as standard but also allows for some height adjustment and also some adjustment of the rebound settings on the dampers.
3.Fast road as well as track use requires a Variant 3 kit which gives a lower ride height as standard but also allows for some height adjustment and also some adjustment of the rebound and low speed bump settings on the dampers.
4.Serious track use requires a Club Sport kit or if a Club Sport kit is not available for your vehicle then possibly a Variant 3 with stiffer springs would be a good alternative.
5.Racing and motorsport use requires a racing setup and we recommend that you fill in our motorsport questionnaire to ensure that you get the right kit for the job.

Be sure to choose the right kit for your use, as an extreme example choosing a Club Sport kit for just road use is not going to be a good choice, the ride quality will seem very bad on all but the smoothest public roads and you would only ever use the softest settings so in the long run it just would not be good value for money.
Similarly choosing a Variant 1 kit for serious track use is not going to be a good choice, the springs would not be adequate for the job of bringing lap times down and there would be no adjustment of the damper settings which you might need for individual tracks or conditions etc.
Think about what is most suitable not what seems cheapest or even ‘top of the range’.

Reactions: S3Alex
I'd say the Bilstein coilover kits are more handling orientated being mono tube so ideal for track or a mixture of fast road and track.

I'd say the KW V1 & V2 work better as an everyday kit and offer a little more comfort over the Bilstein kits.

If anyone needs any info or prices just give me a shout.

Damian @ DPM Performance

I done a lot of comparing between billys and KWs and went for the KWs. Are the billys stainless steel? Cant remember, but I think it was something to do with this that made me choose KW.

I done a lot of comparing between billys and KWs and went for the KWs. Are the billys stainless steel? Cant remember, but I think it was something to do with this that made me choose KW.

I've tried looking to find out and all I keep seeing is spring plates and locking nuts made from alluminiom alloy? What are the kw made from ?

Both have stainless steel bodies.

Damian @ DPM Performance

The KWs do but I dont think the Bilsteins do. Bilsteins use "Triple-C-Technology® for long-lasting corrosion resistance". Perhaps that is just a fancy way of saying stainless steel. Anyway, cant go wrong with either of them!

hi guys quick question do the v1s have any clearance issues with the inner part of the alloy wheel? I'm going to be running 18x8 team dynamics with et45

No they don't, but with 225 profile tyres on TD wheels with et45 you will get rubbing at pretty much anything below standard height when you push it hard.

This rubs:

DSC07075 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

ok thanks tom getting them fitted tuesday and started to worry abit, I'm not one for dropping the car to the floor anyway the roads around where i live are like a wrc rally stage, so can't really go any lower than stock anyway. nice looking car btw! ;)

That's ok you should be fine then you can always just play around with the heights and find what suits you best anyways. 1st image below is were I've had to go to avoid rubbing on the road, which Is about 15mm higher than the previous post, and the second image is the height I had to use on track to avoid rubbing (which is basically standard height). But I guess that's the positives to having adjustables!

DSC07498 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC07110 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

Reactions: kash_v
awesome! love the gold on grey! definitely staying a stockish height then. thanks

Reactions: Tom5190