K04-15 Turbo Finaly Fitted

Guys,

Finaly got a responce from superchips HQ yesturday and they agreed to give me a full refund for the re-map so I am a little happier. However I am still annoyed about the injectors as they say they wont compensate me for them. They claim that the advice given to me was on the assumption that I had a DBW engine, and that those injectors would have then fitted. So anyone know the follwoing:-

a) Are all 1999.5 180 bhp A4 1.8TQS None DBW?
b) Do all 1999.5 180 bhp A4 1.8TQS have the engine code AJL?
c) Does the DBW engines have diffrent fuel rails? Size Injectors etc?

I told superchips that I had the 1999.5 180 bhp A4 1.8TQS model and am taking a guess here but I reckon that there cant be a different fuel system for the same car in the same year. I can undestand it if it was either the 150 based or B6 based models but cant see why audi would use 2 different engine set ups for exactly the same model. Any information guys would be appreciated.

Welsh... I see your running an atmos DV... which one you running and any trouble?

Congrats on the refund!! Good man!! pity about the injectors though!! I highly doubt there would be different fuel rails in ANY of them never mind the same year... odd.

welshdragon if they fit in the 2000(W) DBW 1.8Ts then i have them off you.

Mark

[ QUOTE ]
ZeroK66 said:
Welsh... I see your running an atmos DV... which one you running and any trouble?

I am running the black anodised piston type valve. Not sure what spring rating it is to be honest, but easily one of the best buys I have had to date. Much smoother when changing gears regardless of my turbo set up's, of which I especialy noticed how well it performed (speed in dumping pressure) after fitting the boost gauge. Note sure how it compares to the other items on the market as I have never driven a car with them so couldnt comment. I would definately recommend my type as it did exactly what the manufacturer said (which is often rare). I bought it from Awesome GTI over a year ago now of which I fitted it myself (bit of a **** due to the clamps) and am really happy with it.

Welshdragon, I have just had my mapping completed by MTM (guy came over from Germany).

I will almost certainly be selling my ECU next Jan when I get the GT28RS setup done - if you are interested let me know, engine codes, year etc all the same as your car by the sound of thing. I also have injectors which I will be selling as I will need larger ones with the RS.

Glad to hear you got a refund.

Cheers,

Greg

[ QUOTE ]
Markey said:
welshdragon if they fit in the 2000(W) DBW 1.8Ts then i have them off you.

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark,

If they do fit I am sure we can work out a price if interested. Though I wouldnt want to sell them onto you unless I was sure that they did fit. Any chance of taking your fuel rail off and measuring the length of your injectors? Its only about a 10-15 min job, rough guide from memory:-

1) take out two bolts on fuel rail
2) disconnect the FPR hose if needed (if you lift up bumper side of fuel rail to get front injector out then you prob dont really need to disconnect this)
3) disconnect the electrical leads
4) slide off the locking plates (by hand),
5) and then just pull them out

They are likely to be a little tight due to the 'O' ring seals but will come out with a little wiggle. Then if you measure the total length then I can tell you whether the ones I have will fit. The are the same diameter at top and bottom and fits into both the fuel rail and inlet manifold separately. However when inserted into the inlet manifold they are too short to reach the fuel rail on mine 3/4 inch approx. The electrical cable fits fine also, just shame their too F**king short, but you never know superchips may be right and they will fit on a DBW vehicle. Let me know if you do this, unless you know someone else who can confirm the differences. They are have 360 cc (+ Or - 20 cc) flow rate from memory and are good for 350 bhp so I am told from jabba & amd.

OK mate i will do that asap probe wont be until the xmas weekend though.

Welshdragon,

Awesome mate! Congrats on the refund. Well happy for you mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Bit of a pis*er about the injectors though. After all, like you say, it was on their recommendation that you bought those injectors in the first place so I defo wouldn't let it lie just yet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

As far as I know ALL 1999.5 180BHP engines ARE engine code AJL and non-DBW (mine's Dec. '99 and definitely is, so AmD told me anyway!) I really don't see why there would be different fuel rails on the same car in the same year... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Bit daft if there were if you ask me!

If I were you I'd give someone like AmD a call, they'd definitely know mate.

Hope you get something sorted soon.

Best wishes

T

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
welshdragon said:

I am running the black anodised piston type valve. Not sure what spring rating it is to be honest, but easily one of the best buys I have had to date. Much smoother when changing gears regardless of my turbo set up's, of which I especialy noticed how well it performed (speed in dumping pressure) after fitting the boost gauge. Note sure how it compares to the other items on the market as I have never driven a car with them so couldnt comment. I would definately recommend my type as it did exactly what the manufacturer said (which is often rare). I bought it from Awesome GTI over a year ago now of which I fitted it myself (bit of a **** due to the clamps) and am really happy with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take it that being an atmost DV you get a whoosh?

Mat - Great to hear you got a refund. For the injectors - your engine code is AJL. If Markey tells me the code for his engine I can check ETKA and tell you if the part numbers are the same or different. I can also check the fuel rail part number for both engines too. If they are different then superchips might be right - if the same then they are wrong and Markey is wasting his time checking the length.

Oh and a tip for removing the fuel rail. Pull the fuel pump fuse and start the car, let it idle till it dies - this reduces the fuel line pressure so you don't get sprayed with fuel when you remove the rail! Alternatively leave the car switched off for a good few hours and the fuel pressure will have dropped anyway. There is a check valve at the tank which keeps the fuel pressure in the rail for easier starting.

Cheers Simon.

Right in my service book on the sticker the engine code is AWT.
No idea what that means but thats what it says,
If you can find out Simon that would be most fantastical..

Cheers.

[ QUOTE ]
simon_golf_tt said:
Oh and a tip for removing the fuel rail. Pull the fuel pump fuse and start the car, let it idle till it dies - this reduces the fuel line pressure so you don't get sprayed with fuel when you remove the rail! Alternatively leave the car switched off for a good few hours and the fuel pressure will have dropped anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Id suggest the first one... When i changed my injectors for the 440c ones, i got [censored] over with fuel! How does such a small amount go so far! My car had been off for 2 weeks prior yet the pressure had not dropped.

Rich

Rich - you must have a good check valve in the tank if it keeps the pressure up for 2 weeks - or maybe mine is bad! I know if I leave mine off for a few hours the pressure has dropped. I know this as I was testing the fuel pressure so had a gauge connected to the rail. Petrol in the eyes isn't fun!!

Markey - Will check ETKA for you soon - I have a works night out on the p1ss tonight, straight from work - so won't get a chance to look till tomorrow, but I'm sure you can wait till then! AWT is a code - it's just that ETKA seemed to list 4 engine codes for the year 2000 A4 1.8T's - so wasn't sure which one yours would be.

Simon - I have just noticed that MRC now have a partner company in Yeovil which is just down the road from me. Would you know whether they are likely to offer the custom remaps? Are you happy with the results you got with the K04?

Simon

[ QUOTE ]
madkebab said:
Simon - I have just noticed that MRC now have a partner company in Yeovil which is just down the road from me. Would you know whether they are likely to offer the custom remaps? Are you happy with the results you got with the K04?

Simon

[/ QUOTE ]

Where abouts are you mad?

Simon - yes that's right, MRC have a dealer in Yeovil - who I personally know. My K04 remap is not optimised yet and I'm waiting for the tuner to come back over to the UK to tweak it. He lives in Belgium! He is coming over in February, so I have to wait till then. Until he gets mine working properly I don't think he could offer to do another A4 K04. Mine is bit of a test bed for him as he hasn't done an A4 KO4 before. He mainly does drive by wire, diesels and the 5 cylinder turbos.

When are you looking to fit your K04?

Mat and Markey - In ETKA the fuel rail part number does change from the AJL engine to the AWT engine, as does the injectors. So superchips could be right about the S3 injectors fitting the DBW cars.

1999 AEB or AJL
Fuel Rail 058 133 681C
Injector 058 133 551

2000 AWT
Fuel Rail 06B 133 681
Injector 06B 133 551M

This doesn't tell you if the S3 injectors will fit Markey's car but it does tell you that the fuel rail is different between the AJL engine and AWT engine. So it is possible they might fit.

I guess you just need to do some measurements.

Simon, are pistons and rods the same part numbers?

If you get a chance that is.

Oh and Marry Christmas to you lot!

Greg

Seeing as it's christmas Greg, here are the part numbers - but I aint making a habit of this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

They are different part numbers (but very similar - so are they actually different parts? - feck knows!)

1999 AEB AJL
con rods 027 198 401B
piston 058 107 065F

2000 AWT
con rods 06A 198 401
piston >>8D-1-150 000 06B 107 065F
piston 8D-1-150 000 >> 06B 107 065N

cheers simon i guess i will be getting out the tape measure then.

I have heard length is important but width makes the most difference - hope this helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey guys I know im a little lat with this post, But im tearing out my ko3 tonight and putting in the ko4. Are there some detailed instuctions, like step by step that anyone has? Ive been looking but have not been successful in finding them. All your help would be greatly appreaitated since this is my first ko4 install.

Thanks alot guys, I got the old one out and put together the new one. Im stalling it tonite. Now all i have to do is wait for my remap to come back. Should be back thurs, I cant wait.

AB18 - If the K04 is a new one, don't worry if you get a lot of smoke when you first start the engine - it's the oil that the new turbo is coated with burning off. It had me worried for a bit when I put mine on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ok guys i have another prob. Im leaking coolant bad from around my turbo area. I have no idea where though. When i try to start it shoots coolant out near the turbo. Any ideas would be great since i have none.Thanks guys