I've made a mistake...

MattB1989

Reaction score
Looked out the window at work today and saw our IT guy getting out of his brand new RS3, so thought I'd go have a quick look. However he offered to take me for a spin, and oh sweet lord, the car is amazing. It's an absolute beast and the sound is so infectious! Pops and crackles all over the place! :hubbahubba:

He's got a private number plate so thought the car might be used because he was ragging the sheet out of it! But no, he picked it up with 40 miles on the clock last Wednesday:scared2: fair play to him!

Anyway, pointless post really. What a way to make my car feel inferior though!

Here's a crappy pic from my window :friendly wink:

Reactions: Mojave96, sjbarneS3, THQuattro and 7 others
Looked out the window at work today and saw our IT guy getting out of his brand new RS3, so thought I'd go have a quick look. However he offered to take me for a spin, and oh sweet lord, the car is amazing. It's an absolute beast and the sound is so infectious! Pops and crackles all over the place! :hubbahubba:

He's got a private number plate so thought the car might be used because he was ragging the sheet out of it! But no, he picked it up with 40 miles on the clock last Wednesday:scared2: fair play to him!

View attachment 83932
Lucky git! Lol

Reactions: Usman786 and MattB1989
Map yours - and you'll smash him! Haha.
If I can manage, my next one will be a Nardo Grey RS. Stunning!

Map yours - and you'll smash him! Haha.
If I can manage, my next one will be a Nardo Grey RS. Stunning!
Haha wish I could. Seen a few warranty horror stories though! I'm very tempted too mate. Maybe when a new model is on the horizon they'll be a few good deals floating about :)

What colour is it?
Nardo Grey :)

Reactions: Gazjs
Haha wish I could. Seen a few warranty horror stories though! I'm very tempted too mate. Maybe when a new model is on the horizon they'll be a few good deals floating about
Batch was worried about TD1.
Batch bought the impressive MTM M-Cantronic system.
Batch is smart.
Be like Batch... :greedy dollars:

Reactions: Mojave96, RO65ERS, Martinbanshee and 3 others
What colour is it?
It's the worst colour for the car it's cheap looking and does the RS3 no favours what so ever,only good thing about it is,it costs nowt does Nerdo grey

Reactions: Kugaman1, Sandra, Simon L and 2 others
It's the worst colour for the car it's cheap looking and does the RS3 no favours what so ever,only good thing about it is,it costs nowt does Nerdo grey

Not a fan then Jassy ? .... ;o)

Reactions: Sandra, Simon L, Jassyo06 and 2 others

View attachment 83932
When I picked my car up they kindly parked it next to a Mythos black RS3 I think they wanted to steal my thunder a bit....:crying:

Reactions: MattB1989 and Simon L
Great car, awful colour. It looks like they just applied primer and forgot to paint it.

Reactions: JohnM100 and richinsoton
IMO, its a knee-jerk reaction when a happy new S3 owner encounters an RS3.

Its like a process of layering the additional best elements such as noise, added performance, exclusivity on to your ownership experience....etc for a chunk of $$$ extra.

However, as I've said before, the upgrade proposition from a well spec'ed S3 is IMO pretty weak.

Taking nothing away from the RS3, as I would have swapped orders if I could have, but now my money would go elsewhere.

Reactions: MattB1989, Simon L, Sandra and 2 others
When I picked my car up they kindly parked it next to a Mythos black RS3 I think they wanted to steal my thunder a bit....:crying:

No mate its not a saloon, no competition there at all!! lol

I wouldn't take an rs3 over mine if you threw 10k in with it. Love the sound but the power gains are negligible for my needs ........:whistle2:

Reactions: pburv, Sandra and Rob2k68
I think I'm also in the minority that I wouldn't want a louder car for every day use - happy with my S3 the way it is.

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
I'd love an RS3 but not sure if the sound will embarrass me. Needs one of those buttons to quieten it (like the Jag F-Type V8 has).

Later this year, all going well, I'll be in the market for an S3, RS3 (at a push) or equivalent marquee (ahem...Golf R)...going to be a tough decision.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
lol ... they do have a button to quiet them :yes:

Loud as thunder if thats what you want, quiet as a regular A3 if you don't want the :megaphone::loudspeaker::speakerthree::speakerthree:

You DO want the :megaphone::loudspeaker::speakerthree::speakerthree: though :yum:

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Mojave96, Ben Daniel Grant and 7 others
Don't get me wrong, I love my car and I don't think I could justify an extra £200 p/m for something that is slightly more powerful.

Just this morning I went through an underpass. Shifted it down a couple of times and had a little giggle to myself.

Agree with some on here though. Wasn't a fan of the colour or alloys. I think they just look dated now.

Reactions: pburv
lol ... they do have a button to quiet them :yes:

Loud as thunder if thats what you want, quiet as a regular A3 if you don't want the :megaphone::loudspeaker::speakerthree::speakerthree:

You DO want the :megaphone::loudspeaker::speakerthree::speakerthree: though :yum:

Well thanks a lot...that's made my decision 100x more difficult now! :)

That's my only issue with the RS3. But if you can control the sound then it's pretty much ideal.

Reactions: Mojave96, Rob2k68, T-800 and 3 others
Nardo looks nice now, but I think it's one of those colours that in a few years the owner might think to themselves "why did I do it?!"

I would take a RS3 over an S3 all night long. The 5 pot, 2.5 engine is sublime, it actually sounds like a V8 with that growl. With the Sports exhaust and the pops and crackles that come with I wouldn't stop smiling :grin:

I really like saloons though and was thinking about getting the S3 saloon but now that they have announced the RS3 saloon in the US i am holding out for that for my next car. Hope it sees the light of day here at some point :racer:

Reactions: jimojameso and Snake Pliskin
If the RS3 were game changer that the Focus RS is, it'd be on my radar. However it doesn't really bring a great deal more to the party over the S3 (slightly more power, very similar looks, slightly different noise), and it's hardly set the reviews alight.

Frankly it's hard to see where the extra £10,000 is. For that sort of outlay, they should really have done something more exceptional. An RS3 saloon with an in-line 5-pot and a proper centre diff equipped Quattro driveline? That might be worth an extra £10k.

If it had slightly gawky bodywork and an extended bonnet to accommodate the engine and driveline changes, it could echo more closely the look of the old group B Audi Sport Quattro S1. With the right yellow and white paint job as an option, that's a car that'd have my name on the order book.

The RS3 as it is though? It's a half hearted and feintly cynical effort to extract another 30% more cash from fans. The Focus RS shows it the way dynamically and shows that it falls far short of what's possible and what's actually needed to compete at that level. The A3 shows that the premium feel and build quality can be done at a dramatically lower price point, so what do you actually get for £10000 pounds extra?

If the RS3 were game changer that the Focus RS is, it'd be on my radar. However it doesn't really bring a great deal more to the party over the S3 (slightly more power, very similar looks, slightly different noise), and it's hardly set the reviews alight.

Frankly it's hard to see where the extra £10,000 is. For that sort of outlay, they should really have done something more exceptional. An RS3 saloon with an in-line 5-pot and a proper centre diff equipped Quattro driveline? That might be worth an extra £10k.

If it had slightly gawky bodywork and an extended bonnet to accommodate the engine and driveline changes, it could echo more closely the look of the old group B Audi Sport Quattro S1. With the right yellow and white paint job as an option, that's a car that'd have my name on the order book.

The RS3 as it is though? It's a half hearted and feintly cynical effort to extract another 30% more cash from fans. The Focus RS shows it the way dynamically and shows that it falls far short of what's possible and what's actually needed to compete at that level. The A3 shows that the premium feel and build quality can be done at a dramatically lower price point, so what do you actually get for £10000 pounds extra?

Well your basically paying for the engine, that's what the RS3 is about. Looks wise it does stand out more than the standard S3 as well. In fact if wasn't for the quad exhausts on the S3 if would be hard to differentiate between a A3 S line to an S3. Also the difference is a bit lower than 10k, I used the Audi configuration on both (with similar specs as much as i could) and it was about 7k difference.

I guess each to their own. I am sure the RS3 owners can justify the extra costs and I am not sure many RS3 owners would want to downgrade to a S3 even if meant they would get 10k back IMO.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I would take a RS3 over an S3 all night long. The 5 pot, 2.5 engine is sublime, it actually sounds like a V8 with that growl. With the Sports exhaust and the pops and crackles that come with I wouldn't stop smiling :grin:

I really like saloons though and was thinking about getting the S3 saloon but now that they have announced the RS3 saloon in the US i am holding out for that for my next car. Hope it sees the light of day here at some point :racer:

The RS3 is a hell of car & worth every penny of its asking price.
There are those that get the RS3 and fully appreciate its merits.
Then there are those that don't get the RS3 at all and can't understand where the extra money goes.
Then there are those that try and justify to themselves how its just an S3 with a bit more power lol :)
It is an exceptional car and only when you live with one day to day do you fully appreciate just how good it is :sunglasses:
The engine and sound alone is worth the premium for me and the car makes every single turn of the key a moment to savour and every drive an occasion to enjoy :checkeredflag:

Reactions: Dazzeroo, Gazjs, T-800 and 4 others
... then there was the little boy who pointed at the emperor and asked why he had no clothes :sign omg:

Just pulling your leg Snake ;)

Reactions: Dazzeroo, Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06
I'd love an RS3.

Maybe if they bring a saloon version out in a couple of years I'll chop out the S3 for one.

Not in Naffo Grey though.

Not a fan then Jassy ? .... ;o)
No mate not a fan of that colour at all,the demonstrator l drove was that colour and combine that with black black super sport seats it was not the finest example at all very gloom looking example it was,but awesome to drive fast if you've got shares in BP......lol

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
We don't want another one of these threads lol
The RS3 is a beast of a car,the noise God l hadn't laughed as much driving a car as l did this car...its just out there, l would have one in a New York minute and yeah it's worth it,if l could get one that is....boo hoo lol

Reactions: Simon L and Snake Pliskin
The RS3 is a hell of car & worth every penny of its asking price.
There are those that get the RS3 and fully appreciate its merits.
Then there are those that don't get the RS3 at all and can't understand where the extra money goes.
Then there are those that try and justify to themselves how its just an S3 with a bit more power lol :)
It is an exceptional car and only when you live with one day to day do you fully appreciate just how good it is :sunglasses:
The engine and sound alone is worth the premium for me and the car makes every single turn of the key a moment to savour and every drive an occasion to enjoy :checkeredflag:

Out of curiosity...what's your MPG? I expect 25/30, but maybe 35 if driven economically and on motorways?

Out of curiosity...what's your MPG? I expect 25/30, but maybe 35 if driven economically and on motorways?

Would definitely be under 20 for me , only get 21 in the S3!! lol

Reactions: Ignition1

Lol - that's lower than I thought. But is that you booting it at every opportunity? What do you reckon you'll get if you tried to get it to sip fuel?

MPG doesn't bother me too much, but I'd like to know I could get acceptable(ish) figures if I tried hard...and had patience.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Simon L
Lol - that's lower than I thought. But is that you booting it at every opportunity? What do you reckon you'll get if you tried to get it to sip fuel?

MPG doesn't bother me too much, but I'd like to know I could get acceptable(ish) figures if I tried hard...and had patience.

No not at all, drive like a priest most of the time!! Just lots of very short town based journeys.

Like you though mpg means nowt to me..........fill the tank on average every 10-14 days so not exactly breaking the bank!! lol

Reactions: Rob2k68, Snake Pliskin and Ignition1
How much to get the Nardo on the S3 @jassyo06 ;)

TX.

Think it's a no cost option now mate.....lol its not an exclusive colour now well officially speaking as it's standard on the RS3 lol
Take it,you are in team Nardo?
Just checked yip you are?
Well what can l say, we are different beauty is in the eye of the beholder
And don't start that cack about S3- RS3 lol

Reactions: Terminator x, Rob2k68, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
No not at all, drive like a priest most of the time!! Just lots of very short town based journeys.

Like you though mpg means nowt to me..........fill the tank on average every 10-14 days so not exactly breaking the bank!! lol

Yeah I think I'd get the same then, most of my journeys would be town. I get about 25 to 30 MPG in town from my 1.4 COD so I don't think I'll notice much of a difference with an S3.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Simon L

Check this out mate l nearly went into cardiac arrest when l saw this last night driving home from work
DSC 0292

Reactions: Rob2k68, Ignition1, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person

I will be honest, I have not checked mpg that closely.
But when I did examine it on a couple of occasions it was suprisingly good and MUCH better than my previous S5. The range when I fill up says 350 miles and the S5 was only 290 miles.
I am using Shell V Power for the RS3 though and the S5 was fine with regular 95 ron.
So I am paying a premium for Super Unleaded fuel now.

If you drive it with care and only boot on a few choice occasions and rest of the time treat it like "a normal car lol" then you can get 35 mpg with ease. it is 7 speed remember so you can tick over at very low rpm @ 50mph to 70mph quite easily.

However, go for some choice demo laps and show people what the car is capable of, or drive it round in dynamic and the mpg can plummet big time :)

Overall I am very impressed at the mpg and it is much better than my last car, albeit that was an older 3.0 litre lump.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Ignition1
I will be honest, I have not checked mpg that closely.
But when I did examine it on a couple of occasions it was suprisingly good and MUCH better than my previous S5. The range when I fill up says 350 miles and the S5 was only 290 miles.
I am using Shell V Power for the RS3 though and the S5 was fine with regular 95 ron.
So I am paying a premium for Super Unleaded fuel now.

If you drive it with care and only boot on a few choice occasions and rest of the time treat it like "a normal car lol" then you can get 35 mpg with ease. it is 7 speed remember so you can tick over at very low rpm @ 50mph to 70mph quite easily.

However, go for some choice demo laps and show people what the car is capable of, or drive it round in dynamic and the mpg can plummet big time :)

Overall I am very impressed at the mpg and it is much better than my last car, albeit that was an older 3.0 litre lump.

Interesting - thanks. I would've thought you could get 30 at least on a steady motorway drive. I think anything in the 20 to 35 region is acceptable for a 360HP car.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin