1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

iPhone lightning connection

Lord Feb 22, 2016

1. Lord

Lord Registered User

I'm looking to buy a cable to connect my iPhone or iPod to the car. It needs a lightning connection but I noticed that when I'm looking online for cables there are 2 options. 1 says it's an integrated cable with just the lightning connection. The other has the Lightning connection and also a 3.5mm jack. What are the pros and cons of each?

I've got an iPhone cable connected which is for an iPhone 3/4 and seen there's an adaptor on the apple website, would this work? Would I lose any features doing it this way?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. DrEskimo

DrEskimo Registered User

Your old iPhone 3/4 AMI cable with a genuine Apple adaptor (get the 0.2m one rather than the block adaptor is you use a case) is the only way to connect your iPhone 5/6. The newer AMI cable with the new iPhone 5/6 connection won't work (assuming you have a <2012 A/S/RS5 model).

4. Lord

Lord Registered User

Yeah it's a 2009 so well before 2012. Will I be able to control the music from the mmi with this adaptor

5. DrEskimo

DrEskimo Registered User

Yup. Same set up I had on my old 2009 A5. Had a iPhone 3GS so used the old lightning AMI cable, then changed to a iPhone 5s and bought the adaptor. Worked exactly the same. Tried a whole bunch of cables when it broke, including the updated lightning AMI cable and it just wouldn't work.

In fact, since i sold my old A5 and my S5 now comes with the new lightning AMI cable, I have no use for iPhone adaptor anymore. Its the block-like connector (http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=97), so isn't compatible with some cases that restrict the access to the port, but if you would like it I will happily sell it for £15 posted?

Mind you I've just moved house so might take me a good while to find it...!

6. Lord

Lord Registered User

I always have a case on otherwise that would have been perfect, thank for the offer. I'll just buy a one off apple otherwise I'll end up just buy loads of cheaper ones that don't work

DrEskimo likes this.
  7. DrEskimo

DrEskimo Registered User

Yea definitely go for the Apple one. Its a hard price to swallow for an adaptor, but from what I've read you will just have issues with third party ones.