Facelift iPhone connectivity issues

hawesy25

Reaction score
Just recently I’m experiencing connectivity issues with my iPhone XR when connected via the cable. Every 30secs is comes up with,

‘the external device has a power supply problem and is not supported.’

Only had the phone a few months; this has only started happening in the last few weeks and I have no issues when connected with Bluetooth. The reason I prefer to connect via cable is for charging the device. Haven’t tried changing the cable yet, that’s next.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Thanks

0276f536cd8c3c2949faf01678f03b18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are you using a genuine apple cable? are you in usb 1?

I know it sounds weird can you restart the phone and try.. settings / general / shutdown (and then obviously power it back on)

Reactions: hawesy25
are you using a genuine apple cable? are you in usb 1?

I know it sounds weird can you restart the phone and try.. settings / general / shutdown (and then obviously power it back on)

No, I don’t think it is a genuine cable...but will try that as have a spare somewhere.

Will try the shutdown too; thanks for the advice.

Hi mate, apple have integrated a feature in the software to stop USB devices working unless the phone is unlocked or setting is turned on.
It's to stop hackers plugging in the phone and breaking into it.
Either you need to plug the phone in with the cable and then unlock it, wait a couple of seconds and then lock it again, or go into Settings > Touch ID & Passcode then scroll down to USB accessories and ensure the setting is turned on.

Personally I have the setting turned off, so that I just have to unlock my phone each time first to authorise it.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: hawesy25
Hi mate, apple have integrated a feature in the software to stop USB devices working unless the phone is unlocked or setting is turned on.
Either you need to plug the phone in with the cable and then unlock it, wait a couple of seconds and then lock it again, or go into Settings > Touch ID & Passcode then scroll down to USB accessories and ensure the setting is turned on.

Personally I have the setting turned off, so that I just have to unlock my phone each time first to authorise it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice mate, this could be it as have to constantly unlock it to enable connection. Will try this too.

Sounds like typical Apple proprietary everything and pull your pants down will your at it.

My advice, never buy Apple anything.

Sounds like typical Apple proprietary everything and pull your pants down will your at it.

My advice, never buy Apple anything.

It's literally to stop someone plugging in a codebreaker and hacking into it, if you have to unlock the phone to activate the connection it can't be done... it's security nothing more.

Reactions: teslaboy
Also why you not using CarPlay? Definitely use the apple cable.

Also why you not using CarPlay? Definitely use the apple cable.

I have been using car play, still the same issue regardless...

The cable is a non genuine, but like I said it’s only very recently I’ve had the issue. Been using it for months now, but maybe it’s had it. Going to try the genuine cable tomorrow along with the phone lock thing.

I have been using car play, still the same issue regardless...

The cable is a non genuine, but like I said it’s only very recently I’ve had the issue. Been using it for months now, but maybe it’s had it. Going to try the genuine cable tomorrow along with the phone lock thing.

It'll be the connection lock mate, Non-Genuine apple products are completely safe and fine to use so long as they are verified for use and not the cheap chinese knock offs which are still blocked by apple. Apple got in a bit of trouble for blocking all 3rd party accessories and had to revert.

I use the Audi cable for car play and a 3m Rampower cable and have never once had a single issue :)

It'll be the connection lock mate, Non-Genuine apple products are completely safe and fine to use so long as they are verified for use and not the cheap chinese knock offs which are still blocked by apple. Apple got in a bit of trouble for blocking all 3rd party accessories and had to revert.

I use the Audi cable for car play and a 3m Rampower cable and have never once had a single issue :)

Thanks mate. I changed the cable and the connection lock and so far no issues

The only thing is now is I can’t see car play on the menu screen?

Thanks all for advice

Thanks mate. I changed the cable and the connection lock and so far no issues

The only thing is now is I can’t see car play on the menu screen?

Thanks all for advice

Go into car play settings on your phone, delete the pairing and re set it up :) should be all good. Sometimes it does take a few minutes, the car has loads of features on start up and seems to change the priority order every time haha

Go into car play settings on your phone, delete the pairing and re set it up :) should be all good. Sometimes it does take a few minutes, the car has loads of features on start up and seems to change the priority order every time haha

Legend. Thanks mate.

I’ve had this issue and I’ve been trying to sort it, I’ve had my phone replaced by Apple and it still happens occasionally.

Hope this helps.

That’s very interesting thank you. But yesterday, it was literally coming up with this fault for 10 seconds then going for another 10, happened for a good minute or so.

Your information makes sense, but I can drive for hours and there not be an issue but then one day it will happen non stop. I move the cable from one port to another in the car, might get 30 seconds of music then back to the fault.

So so annoying, always happens on long drives.

That’s very interesting thank you. But yesterday, it was literally coming up with this fault for 10 seconds then going for another 10, happened for a good minute or so.

Your information makes sense, but I can drive for hours and there not be an issue but then one day it will happen non stop. I move the cable from one port to another in the car, might get 30 seconds of music then back to the fault.

So so annoying, always happens on long drives.

Understand your pain. Especially when it happens so sporadically.

I replaced the cable, made sure it was in USB 1 and reset the apple car play settings as Zaka7 suggested. It’s been working fine all day; but will monitor it...

I feel Audi tech is always a major let down when comparing to something like a Golf. Although the same company it feels like tech is always miles apart. The apple car play and media unit in my wife’s Kia Sportage is heaps easier to use with the touch screen. Same as the Golfs - not sure why Audi didn’t opt for touch screen when updating the virtual dash etc on these models.

Reactions: zaka7
Understand your pain. Especially when it happens so sporadically.

I replaced the cable, made sure it was in USB 1 and reset the apple car play settings as Zaka7 suggested. It’s been working fine all day; but will monitor it...

I feel Audi tech is always a major let down when comparing to something like a Golf. Although the same company it feels like tech is always miles apart. The apple car play and media unit in my wife’s Kia Sportage is heaps easier to use with the touch screen. Same as the Golfs - not sure why Audi didn’t opt for touch screen when updating the virtual dash etc on these models.

Well I’m in an A6 Loaner at the minute, just happened in that exactly the same so have changed the USB setting now in the password settings.

I’ve not got any complaints with the tech in the Audi’s to be honest, I’m not a fan of touch screens in cars. My Mum has a Golf, it has the standard small screen and it is ****** dangerous to operate. The touch screens in the new A6 / A7 with feedback are a little better but still as bad as texting on a phone IMO. Using the scrolling wheel you can change things without looking.

Anyway enough of that, will monitor the power supply fault issue and get back.

Reactions: hawesy25 and zaka7