iPhone ashtray dock (build thread)

Just thought I would do a quick update on this..

The original dock lasted all of 2 weeks before the glue holding it together gave up so I decided to make one out of a single piece of aluminium.

First I machined the block to size and made the cut out for the phone to sit in as well as the little slot for the cable to poke through.

820a75de.jpg

Then machined the underside excess material away

b345f6f8.jpg

Finally I gave it a polish to mirror finish with the final result looking a million times better in my opinion.

1d55359c.jpg

41c63167.jpg

How do you find the phone for wobbling around when driving? I'd be scared that any bumps would make the phone wobble and damage the connector.

However, it looks ace! And top marks for trying it.

How do you find the phone for wobbling around when driving? I'd be scared that any bumps would make the phone wobble and damage the connector.

However, it looks ace! And top marks for trying it.

Cheers for that mate, the phone wobbles a little but this is just a prototype so if I do knock some up I would make it a little smaller. I was more worried about scratching the rear of the phone so made it a little bigger.

what an amazing ride this one is on, you should look at all the costs involved and see if its worth making them for profit, how many B6 and B7 owners would like one?

To be honest mate, I can only do them in spare time at work so would just stick them on eBay 99p start and see what I could get for them. As long as the cost of the lead is covered I would be happy.

I've just been looking at these think it's the same just cheaper AUDI A2, A3, A4, TT MP3 iPod iPhone Aux Input Interface Adaptor CTVADX002 | eBay only thing is stereo has to be a concert from 2006 on, so the concert thats in our B6's as standard won't work with this,, is that right ?

Not sure whether you got one of these or not but i bought one about 6 months ago and fitted it to my Double din concert in my 54 plate B6, it was easy as to fit just unplug and plug this in and ground the earth wire to the head unit and your done.

Not sure whether you got one of these or not but i bought one about 6 months ago and fitted it to my Double din concert in my 54 plate B6, it was easy as to fit just unplug and plug this in and ground the earth wire to the head unit and your done.

Nah mate I didn't bother in the end, I will one day but not in any hurry, the little fm transmitter is holding up quite well for now lol.

I know this is a little old of a post however if you do happen to see this I would be very interested in having you mill a piece of aluminum like the one you made for my 2002 A4 the only difference would be I need it for a lightning cable as opposed to the 30 pin connection but I would actually be able to do that part myself if you could do the rest . If this is something you would be willing to do please let me know and give me a price and we can go from there. Thank you for your time
Corey