Intermittent ESP warning light

h1spm

Reaction score
Hi, I have a B6 A4 2.5TDI cabriolet on which the ESP warning light has recently started coming on intermittently. It is not due to acceleration / wheel spin, and to press has always cleared itself within a matter of minutes without the need to stop the vehicle or turn off the ignition. Has anybody come across this issue before? Many thanks in advance.

Ive got a 1.9tdi b6 and it comes on intermittently. Usually after pressing the brake pedal softly for a short period. Its been doing it for years, no fault codes, and clears when you turn ignition off. I've come to the conclusion it is the brake pedal switch.

I had exactly the same thing and posted on here with zero response, in fact I still get it every now and again.

Mine comes on every now and again, seems it might be in damp conditions, not 100% sure. Usually goes out when car is restarted. No error codes and no other symptoms.

Haven't seen it lately but have had new pads all round so something my have rectified it during that fitting process. (bad contact, broken wire etc.)

I wouldn't count on it Geoff. Mines still coming on after new pads and discs. Funny enough, a mate of mine with a b7 a4 has the same problem. Light comes on, no symptoms. Tell you what, ill get my brake switch changed soon and ill report back on the outcome.

So. Its been two weeks since the brake pedal switch change and so far no esp light. If it comes back. Ill report it here.