Interior LED's

I'mRonBurgundy?

Lets make that kitten purr...
Reaction score
I need some help guys.

Now I know this has been done a 1000 times before (I've searched the forum) but I just seem to be getting more confused.

Basically I want to replace my interior courtesy bulbs with LED's, problem is I'm a complete numpty when it comes to electrics.

I managed to find this link http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/42mm-leds-festoon-1w11w-output-cool-white-p-1461.html but have a few questions.

1. Can I simply replace the existing bulb with these?
2. How many do I need?
3. Am I likely to get any errors?

Any advice/suggestions would be very welcome.
Thanks.

It can be a little confusing with all the different types of LEDs on sale and bulb shapes in the interior. I'm assuming that you're literally just talking about the two festoon bulbs on the roof and not the map reading lights yeah?

If so then just fitting two of these LED will cause an error and the lights will turn off automatically after a few seconds. UNLESS, like me, you have the interior light pack with the rear lights and keep at least one filament festoon bulb there to draw enough current to prevent the error.

If you don't have the rear lights or you want to replace them too you need to either fit resistors (as in TobyCruise's LED thread) or fit LEDs that avoid CAN-bus errors. Not sure if these are available as I have just looked on convert2xenon and they don't do 42mm ones.

Thanks Leon.

Anyone aware of a ready made bulb/resistor kit?

No doubt it is if you've got a soldering iron and know what to solder the resistors too.

Oh the shame.

Heres mine that I did, before the soldering took place

IMG00120-20091122-1443.jpg

TBH, I think that you'd get away with twisting it around the prongs, as long as the metals are toucing, just making sure its tight, lol.

It's easy to twist the wires on those holders but the back of the interior lights looks like this:

DSC00854.JPG

Where abouts are you IRB??

SE London/Kent border.

I think a trip to the parents is required - the old man will have a soldering iron.

Not much info on them though. I couldn't even find a price.