Inlet manifold cleaning will it increase power ?

TDI140

Reaction score
I was watching a few videos on youtube and many old school tuners say removing and cleaning the intake manifold is a good way to rediscover lost BHP is this true ? I would like to have a go at this as my car has slowed down quite a bit after running on bentley rims, so i would like to know if anyone has done this and if its worth the hassle ? Also a guide on how to do this
thanks

ive had mine cleaned as they do get dirty but not sure about the power increase might make air flow better

I was thinking about buying one from a Breakers yard an having it shot blasted and cleaned then powder coated into forge red and then taking mone off changing the gaskit and having egr delete done and selling my inlet manifold shot blasted red aswel could start a trend off

TDI140, I would have thought that if there was any serious restriction of the inlet manifold diameter, then cleaning would be useful. However, our TDI 140's don't seem to me to gulp a great deal of air compared to, say, high performance and very high reving petrol engines. Take F1 for example. I bet their inlet manifolds are ported and polished to mirror finishes and then some. Nothing wrong in having a go, and see if it does make a difference.

Reactions: N8
Removing and cleaning the inlet manifold won't increase power over standard.

But it will restore the current power to standard and help with engine smoothness, you will only see a big difference if the manifold is really gummed up.

TBH the manifold can get, in some cases, up to half an inch of crap built up, so yes it can affect airflow to a degree, as advised it can only help get a standard flow, so maybe if the car was bought 2nd user, you may notice a very tiny difference, but only doing will tell.

I'm taking mine of shortly to clean anyway, as upgraded a hell of allot of things in the mean time, so want optimal :)

What other things can you do to bring your performance / power back up if its lost a bit over the years?
Besides new oil, filters, plugs etc.

Some good advice asn members i may have located an inlet manifold close to where i live so might check it out tomorrow and all being well ill clean it so its like new and give it in for powder coating in dolphin grey or forge red to match my hoses, i personally recommend installing a catch can as ive noticed a smoother drive and power output through the gears, ive just replaced intercooler and had all boost pipes taken off and washed before refitting, and end of this month its going for MOT and back box delete so hopefully i will see results,
btw does anyone know if running bosio 1287+ injectors on a stock turbo will show decent power increase as i cant find anyone who has done it