Info and idears needed

smokeedizzla

Reaction score
Hi All newbie here! ok here is my situation i am moving to cyprus in 2weeks and after lots of enquirys i could not take a car over a 1600cc and 200co2 as the import and registration prices go STUPID after that so i have bought a 1998 Audi A3 1.6 Sport i have only had it 1 week I love the car and drives and handles like a dream BUT i need more power so i have decided to come and ask the experts, can i put the 1.8t engine into my car and will the wiring loom and engine mounts be the same? or is there any thing you can tell me to put in instead? as i want to buy the engine why i am still in the UK and then i can ship the car and new engine together to be fitted over there please help and sorry if this has been asked be4 still trying to get to know this site, thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome...

While the engine will fit, its a little more involved than that sadly.. the loom will be different, the ECU will be different, the suspension and brakes are different (and inadequate) plus no doubt a load of other things... you would essentially need more than 'the engine' and probably the gearbox too... typically as 1.8t A3's are all over the place then we (as a forum) typically suggest selling the 1.6 and buying a 1.8t... the price difference is negligible compared to the cost/effort involved fitting one...

Its a fairly common swap for Mk2 and Mk3 golf boys and I have seen this done using either stand alone ECU (DTA or other) and more recently a guy bought a written off Golf Mk4 and fitted the engine, ECU, clocks and wiring loom from the Golf into a Mk2 Golf...

This would be more what you would be looking for tbh for a transplant... a written off A3 1.8t complete that you can use bits from as there are too many differences just to throw a lump in unless you use stand alone management...

<tuffty/>

Hi and welcome...

While the engine will fit, its a little more involved than that sadly.. the loom will be different, the ECU will be different, the suspension and brakes are different (and inadequate) plus no doubt a load of other things... you would essentially need more than 'the engine' and probably the gearbox too... typically as 1.8t A3's are all over the place then we (as a forum) typically suggest selling the 1.6 and buying a 1.8t... the price difference is negligible compared to the cost/effort involved fitting one...

Its a fairly common swap for Mk2 and Mk3 golf boys and I have seen this done using either stand alone ECU (DTA or other) and more recently a guy bought a written off Golf Mk4 and fitted the engine, ECU, clocks and wiring loom from the Golf into a Mk2 Golf...

This would be more what you would be looking for tbh for a transplant... a written off A3 1.8t complete that you can use bits from as there are too many differences just to throw a lump in unless you use stand alone management...

<tuffty/>

Preferably a rear end write off...

i wanted to fit a 225bhp engine in my 1.6 and the costs well exceeded the cost of buying a 1.8T a3 which was a pain cos ide already bought the engine! best bet is to buy a 1.8T and drive it there youll save on shipping costs and put it towards registration!

thank you both for your post's i did think about driving a 1.8t 225bhp over to Cyprus, but after looking into it you can drive over any more as there is no boat going to cyprus any more due to the problems they have with there neighbours lol and i know there is not much price diffrence between the 1.6 and 1.8 to buy how ever to register over there the price diffence is around £3,000 due to engine and co2 emmisions, so is it not the same wiring loom as i had a Vw polo 1.4 sport about 5 years ago and i was told by dub sport that i could have the 1.8t 225bhp engine in that as it was the same wiring loom i just needed uprated brakes and the gearbox. o well it looks like i will have to just get use to the solw pace lol unless there is any other cost affective way? or am i just clutching at straws so to say.