I'm Tight... Advice Please.

StottyDog

Reaction score
Hi, I currently have a 1.9lt Vectra, please don't hate, which is remapped and I avg 50 mpg, which is lovely to get. However I used to own a Dodge Nitro 2.8lt diesel which avg 28mph... On a motorway! Granted it was as aerodynamic as a brick. Them numbers crippled me. To which side would I be leaning towards if I got an A5, 2.7 auto...

Cheers in advance for any advice, forums are invaluable imo.

I just got myself ( well 1st September) a 3.0 tdi, I like be it, its plenty fast, and coming from my old 3.2 a6 petrol , the mpg is amazing
I'd go for 3.0 tdi if you get a choice mate, the mpg is only a bit less then a 2.7 and the extra bang for you buck is wort it, but that's just my opinion

The A5 2.7 Auto will do better than a 3.0 TDI on a motorway run but not by much. If you can stretch to a 3.0 TDI they are very good especially when mapped. Mine will do 45mpg at 80mph all day on the motorway, drop that to 70 and you wouldn't be far off 50 mpg, and it's remapped to over 300bhp. Short journeys less than 10 miles in town you are looking at more like 35mpg.

Reactions: CHEZ
Mr desert storms car does shift, I seen it on the strip down inters and he even showed us his trophy lol!
However,
I did notice that he has fitted smaller wheels!
This will affect mph/mpg figures on the display I believe, especially with the rolling radius reduced
Just saying.....

I run 17 inch wheels on my car which is what it came with from the factory as my car is an SE spec, so was fitted with 225 /50/17 tyres, The wheels are lighter than normal OE wheels, the tyres I run are 235/45/17 's which are about 1.5% smaller and also a lot more common size so cheaper.
The Goodyear Eagle F1's I use are less than £75 a tyre.
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/goodyear/eagle-f1-asymmetric-2/235-45-r17-97y-60476
The slightly smaller size doesn't make much difference to the acceleration but the lower weight helps.

Reactions: CHEZ